Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Workout Treats

Options
  • 14-11-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Would like to hear what people are having post workout in terms of a sugar treat etc.

Im into Poptarts at the mo, 2 of them and a shake, i really look forward to them towards the end of a session!

Not a thread for arguing the merits of nutrition or timing please, just to see how people are rewarding themselves.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've been working out first thing for about a month and am rarely hungry until around 11. My pre-workout is half a protein shake with a banana, but my post treat is a vanilla protein shake (two scoops) with a tablespoon of powdered coconut milk, tablespoon of maple syrup and maybe a homemade flapjack. Not exciting, but I find it delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I just eat regular food, I ensure I don't have a weird relationship with food because I don't see it as treats or rewards or even punishment when I withhold them.

If I want a burger ill have a burger, if I want an ice cream ill have an ice cream. I won't think that I can only have an ice cream if I do x amount of work. So I don't develop a weird system of food rewards for increasingly trivial tasks.

From observation I has seen that people will reward themselves with such over extravagant foods for meaningless tasks and it's clear to me that they are gaming their own system just so that they can have a chocolate cake.

eventually the work becomes so trivial and the reward so great that they slide into the mentality that the work is pointless they might as well have the cake anyway.

although saying that, if I go to the dentist I do buy myself a toy, cos that's what my mum used to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't really bother with sweets or treats post workout. I use continue regular diet. I focus a bit more on pre workout so my blood sugar doesn't drop. Saying that I will schedule free meals around workouts just in wishful thinking the calories will be used better e.g. going out for a meal on a Saturday night after doing legs that day.

Not a fan of pop tarts. I think they are overrated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'd love a pop tart now

I just have normal breakfast after. Eggs and maybe a small bit of porridge

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

When I get home after a workout it's dinner time. BOOYAH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I work out in the evening so usually just a normal dinner. I don't see the point in working your arse off to cancel it out with a treat. If you need sugar maybe a banana or grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I go to the gym at lunchtime so I just have my usual lunch after - chicken/ veg/ soup/ salad etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

The workout is my treat :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

There's a few here that look fine so long as everything else in the diet is in check:

http://thelittlegreenspoon.com/category/sweet-treats/

I like the look of those salted almond buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

As mentioned already - I try not to make some weird reward relationship with food. I just do my session, jump in to shower, drink some water and check how far away I am from dinner time. If I had dinner before and a late session, then I just drink some water and go on with my life.
    If I do get hungry after a session, then I just eat an apple or orange.
    I better skip on snacks during the week and have an extra nice/dirty meal on one of the days instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Drop sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

What are the best food options (dinner etc.) for post workout?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Can't go wrong with meat 'n' veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Can't go wrong with meat 'n' veg.

That line never works for me. That said, I use it when I'm in a nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

NoQuarter wrote: »
    That line never works for me. That said, I use it when I'm in a nightclub.

try the george

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

normally eat some noodles and eggs or a few rice crackers with peanut butter, right now I have the luxury of living 20 ft from my gym so my post workout meal can be what ever I want

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

It's always dinner time after my meal too.

My new treat will be Greek yoghurt mixed with whey, blueberries, apple, pear and strawberry.

Om nom nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

Would like to hear what people are having post workout in terms of a sugar treat etc..

As I'm not a dog, I don't give myself rewards or treats, especially not for doing the things that I already enjoy. The dangers of creating a weird relationship with food have already been mentioned.

That being said though, the closest thing to a post workout treat would be the odd Quest bar with my shake, not very often though, they're not cheap.

I'll aim for one cheat meal per week, money is tight atm so it's usually the Four Star Pizza 'terrific tuesday deal'. Every couple of weeks when the glorious Haagen Dazs is half price in Tesco I'll tear into a tub or two of that godlike strawberry shortcake, while telling myself I'm bulking.

Now I'm hungry, thanks op

Advertisement