Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus ST - 5 door?

Options
  • 13-11-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

I'd quite like a Focus ST and have been doing a bit of browsing.

I would only ever buy one as a 5 Door but why are these so hard to find??

Currently there is only 1 red 5dr DoneDeal yet plenty of 3 dr ones.

Whereas the ratio of 3dr to 5dr in say a Mk5 GTI is a lot more evenly split!

Very annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

loads of 5 doors in the uk, they outsold the 3 doors by a fair amount

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Yeah i noticed from browsing uk sites but better value to be had here, just no 5 doors to be found!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Mk1 or 2 focus? Mk1's seem to have 5 doors in a greater abundance than the mk2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Mk1 or 2 focus? Mk1's seem to have 5 doors in a greater abundance than the mk2.

MK1 are horribly underpowered though, 170bhp is abit weak for a petrol hot hatch.

I quiet like the 3 MPS, rare, 5 doors, plain looking.

Met one before on the M1 on the way to Newry, it left my friends 330i for dead.

I quite like the 3 Mps but prefer the looks of the Focus.

If I were to come across a clean, relatively low milage, unabused example I would definitely consider it but yet again, there is a grand total 1 on dondeal priced at €32k :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Mine isn't weak in the slightest, but then again later models had bigger engines which might explain your opinion. Current Focus is 5 door only which should make it easier in times to come to get a 5 door, but be aware that most earlier 5 doors are likely to have been company vehicles rather than enthusiastic owner owned.

I'm talking about 06/07 mk2 versions here.

I know there is a higher abundance of mk1's in 5 door but that model is quite long in the tooth at this stage and 90% of the appeal is the powerful 2.5 turbo with that lovely warble!

I;d say a Mk1 5 door would be quite rare in Ireland...(not that that makes it desirable you understand)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I was thinking about buying one a little while ago too. What I found a little mad was that the 5 door cost more to insure than the 3 door version. I think the 3 door was about €550 and the 5 door was over €700 to insure.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    I was thinking about buying one a little while ago too. What I found a little mad was that the 5 door cost more to insure than the 3 door version. I think the 3 door was about €550 and the 5 door was over €700 to insure.

wow that is mad! Does it reflect the likely usage as a work car for a 5 door maybe? Possibly they do a higher annual mileage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

corktina wrote: »
    wow that is mad! Does it reflect the likely usage as a work car for a 5 door maybe? Possibly they do a higher annual mileage?

I found it very strange alright. I taught the insurers might think that the 5 door would be more likely to carry more passengers than the 3 door.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The logic behind that could see is that if you are opting for one with rear doors there is more probability that you will have rear passengers in it. This means a higher chance of an insurance claim through injuries/fatalities in the event of an accident which in turn increases the risk for an insurance company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

bazz26 wrote: »
    The logic behind that could see is that if you are opting for one with rear doors there is more probability that you will have rear passengers in it. This means a higher chance of an insurance claim through injuries/fatalities in the event of an accident which in turn increases the risk for an insurance company.

I would imagine that the thinking would be "4 door owned by family with kids, less likely to drive like a lunatic, 2 door owned by scuzzy boyracer likely to go everywhere sideways".

other way around in this case fuzzy....5 door dearer than 3 door

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would imagine that the thinking would be "4 door owned by family with kids, less likely to drive like a lunatic, 2 door owned by scuzzy boyracer likely to go everywhere sideways".

Not too many families buying 5dr hot hatches for the extra practicality though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Not too many families buying 5dr hot hatches for the extra practicality though. :)

exactly. ....there again, it's why I have a 911 :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Well, thats exactly why I'm looking for a 5 door!

God, it's so hard to find a decent 5 door hatch with a bit of oomph.

Mazda 3 MPS - rarer than hen's teeth.

Golf GTI - Overpriced, significantly higher mileage than other Hot Hatches and generally trashed condition.

It seems that if you are lucky enough to find an unabused 5 door GTI, you have to throw a couple of grand on top of the already overpriced price tag!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Why not go to the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

They hold value better in UK because they have sensible tax unlike us! Then add in vrt end up costing allot more I imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

GavMan wrote: »
    Why not go to the UK?

Probably better value here due to high tax costs. But of course that does have the negative of making it harder to find a nice example.

On the 5 door being more expensive to be insured it could be because it's more likely to be stolen to be used in a robbery or some other criminal activity than a 3 door.

I'd love to go to the UK as the cars are generally of a much standard quality with regards to how well they have been maintained but given the poor exchange rate they would work out more expensive over there.

Although 3 MPS still seems like a lot of car for £5k-£6k Stg

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mikko Mallikas

Been looking recently for a Focus st (3 door) seems here most of the ones available 06/07 have no esp, xenon or heated screen, have yet to see one with them all, when I find a blue one with the right spec I will have it.

Been looking recently for a Focus st (3 door) seems here most of the ones available 06/07 have no esp, xenon or heated screen, have yet to see one with them all, when I find a blue one with the right spec I will have it.

Irish spec cars don't follow the UK spec

ST-1 = No xenons
    ST-2 = Xenons Better stereo and ESP
    ST-3 = Leather

Irish ones are basically an ST-1 and everything is an optional extra, no quick screen on mine or ESP either (Makes small odds on them really)

Irish ones also get a very crap Ford stereo as standard

Yeah, had read that alright, but as I have them all on my current car would like to have them, the crap stereo wouldn´t bother me as I´ll replace it with a touchsreen unit anyway, seems the best option is to wait for a UK import ST2 or 3 to show up. Checked with insurance co. today and it´s only a premium increase of €63, so it´s definitely a goer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Focus ST, so much fun to drive.

Worth every penny, 3 door/5 door tis just a number.

Unbelievably I had this e mail correspondence with the seller of a certain blue st in Tipp on done deal this evening. Do people even want to sell their cars?

Me:
    Hi, as it has full leather recaro interior, does that make it a UK import ST3? and therefore a four seater? How about heated windscreen, ESP, Xenon lights and heated seats? have you any pics of the interior?

He:
    Hi there , are you interested in it because I've had a lot of fools asking stupid questions about this car ??????. No time wasters please !.
    Thank you.

Me:
    I shan´t waste anymore of your time, asking questions about a car that is badly described and pictured in its advert. I was extremely interested, but now I´m more interested in the others for sale. Guess someone else wants to sell theirs more. Cash in pocket and waiting to be spent, From the type of question I asked I thought it would be obvious I know what I´m looking for. 60 days on sale, not surprised.

He:
    Full of S--- ..... If you were interested you wouldn't be acting the clown and sending me stupid emails like that !!!!! .
    A complete TIME WASTER ..... All talk ...... , no kindly do not email me again , as I have asked for no time wasters ...

Thank you.

I thought it a strange way to treat someone interested in buying a car that's been for sale for 2 months :)

Ring the man Mikko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

ring him and tell him his is a wnkr ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

I would run a mile from a car with an owner like that.

Advertisement