Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow, Why do you love it?

Options
  • 12-11-2014 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭

Let me start by saying : please don't come in here and give out that you don't love snow, if you don't that's fine but I'm looking to hear why people DO love it.
    For me it's that it makes everything look perfect and pristine, even if your lawn is a mess, cover it in an inch of snow and it's gorgeous.

The special quality to the quiet if it's snowing heavily, it's like everything becomes more hushed and silent.

Where I live is quite rural and most of the way up a hill, so if there's a decent amount of snow there are much fewer cars out and about.

The crunching sound of fresh snow....

Taking out one of the 4x4's for a bit of fun....

What about you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It looks beautiful.

I love those deep dark clouds that come in and you just know it's gonna happen. Then those blue skies that follow it.

Seeing kids outside playing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

It's magical. It appears as if it makes time to stand still! I love it! :)

"I remember that winter because it had brought the heaviest snows I had ever seen. Snow had fallen steadily all night long and in the morning I woke in a room filled with light and silence, the whole world seemed to be held in a dream-like stillness. It was a magical day... and it was on that day I made the Snowman." - Raymond Briggs (The Snowman)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

During Nighttime When you see the Orange glow in the sky of an approaching Snow Shower you know its coming.

The stillness even when it chucking it down

2010!

Shoveling the driveway! I enjoy it because it very rarely happens! Or we very rarely get snow deep enough to be worth shoveling!

Throwing snowballs for the dog to catch and devour!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sarkakos

it reminds me Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

I love how quiet it gets. Love sliding down the hills. Most of all I love sitting at the window with a drink,fire lighting and just watching it fall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

rsl1976 wrote: »
    I love how quiet it gets

And there is a reason for that apparently, as fresh snow absorbs sound, helping to give that distinctive 'muffled' sound to everything when it is falling.

New Moon

I also love how it slows time down. People are always rushing but you can't really when there's snow.

Sports being played in the snow is great to watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It looks nice if the weather isn't too windy and it is falling peacefully. In a blizzard it can be smothering and very unpleasant.

We have to live with what we get, prefer warm weather, but snow looks nice if falling gently.
    I love snow that doesn't over stay its welcome too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Snow is just amazing. I love everything about it. I love how the white flakes fall and the whistle of the wind, the bitter cold and the chill. Its just such a happy time for me I absolutely adore snow there truely is nothing better ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Whats rare is wonderful :)

• Advertisement

delw wrote: »
    Whats rare is wonderful :)

Except diseases.

I've been watching a lot of House lately...

It's not a reason why I love it anymore coz those days can't be recaptured but do ye remember the almost trouser-wetting anticipation of a snow shower starting when you're in school? Nobody could focus coz they were looking out the window and the teacher trying in vain to get everyone's attention?

Ah I loved that!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's not a reason why I love it anymore coz those days can't be recaptured but do ye remember the almost trouser-wetting anticipation of a snow shower starting when you're in school? Nobody could focus coz they were looking out the window and the teacher trying in vain to get everyone's attention?

Ah I loved that!

So true, and you would want it to accumulate and an evacuation of the school to follow, those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

because everything looks better covered in a dusting of snow:)

love the silence it seems to create. and how white it is - just georgeous.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Love how it magically transforms everything the challenge it brings on farm and hills the peace and silence
    The only thing I don't like is people that can't drive on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Because I'm a big child when it comes to snow. I still love playing in it, going sledging etc. I put it down to growing up in South Manchester - if you think snow is rare here, you should try a low lying area west of the Pennines.... Bigger snow shield effect than Cork! And even if it did snow, feck all hills!

It's probably an extension of the big child thing, but I love the sense of community when we are snowed in, and the adventure of trying to get home up the mountains, making sure we've supplies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

It reminds me of my childhood, I'd liken it to recapturing the Santa years, something magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

I love the crunching sound it make as you walk over it. The defening silence it creates as it falls turning everything into a beautiful winter wonderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

I love snow because I look at snow see how pure and beautiful it is and every snow flake that falls from the sky is like heaven giving kisses.
    im a huge child and get stuck into playing snow angels and snow ball fights, and time stands still because we don't get much snow if we do like something amazing happens and everyone is talking to everybody about so brings a bit a joy into peoples hearts that have hardened over the years maybe just maybe can forget about ourselves and become more childlike an being more innocent and looking at the world through childrens eyes instead of adults who have grown cold
    p.s love snow
    p.p.s ill pray we have white Christmas becomes my son has never seen snow and I know hell love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As others have said, it's a remembrance of childhood.

Now that I'm all grown up, I'm still a kid at heart. Love putting on the security light out the back and watching the snow fall through the beam of light at night. Magic.

Love the feeling of getting into the burrow at home and looking out at it for ages, or putting on the wellies and messing around in the garden.

Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ah Childhood memories!!

I remember in my back garden waving a powerful green laser pointer in the air really fast land lighting up the heavy snow shower with a massive laser light show to the delight of other kids I could hear on the other side of the road.

It was the snow of 2009. I was a child of 35 years old. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

it makes everything pretty, it's fun to play in, to build snowmen, to look at. reminds me of childhood. reminds me of all my snowboarding trips. I can't fathom why anyone can dislike it. boggles my mind

now rain on the other hand....

kenmc wrote: »
    it makes everything pretty, it's fun to play in, to build snowmen, to look at. reminds me of childhood. reminds me of all my snowboarding trips. I can't fathom why anyone can dislike it. boggles my mind

now rain on the other hand....

I think it is easy to have a love/hate relationship with snow. It can disrupt business and if you have a perishable product, you will end up having to dump it if the snow prevents it's transport.
    In my case, this is milk.
    For old people it can be a challenge.
    It can cause power cuts.
    Affect the economy negatively.

So while snow is nice to look at and all that, it is also nice when it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

I don't mind the rain, once it is not too excessive...everything in moderation. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

RobertKK wrote: »
    I think it is easy to have a love/hate relationship with snow. It can disrupt business and if you have a perishable product, you will end up having to dump it if the snow prevents it's transport.
    In my case, this is milk.
    For old people it can be a challenge.
    It can cause power cuts.
    Affect the economy negatively.

So while snow is nice to look at and all that, it is also nice when it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

I don't mind the rain, once it is not too excessive...everything in moderation. :D

Whilst all that is true, it's a problem which has been solved in most other countries by proper preperation and anticipation. So really none of that is Snows' fault, it's our fault for failing to prepare for the fact that when winter comes, we often get ice and sometimes snow, and should be prepared to handle that, be it winter tyres, extra provisions or what have you.

Snow just *is*, it's an inanimate object, the result of natures whims. It's our abject failure to deal with it which is the real problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Whilst all that is true, it's a problem which has been solved in most other countries by proper preperation and anticipation.

Piss Poor Planning Prevents Proper Performance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Snow just *is*, it's an inanimate object, the result of natures whims. It's our abject failure to deal with it which is the real problem.
    Yes and No. Countries that can deal with it, are pretty assured of having snow to deal with. We put All Weathers Tyres on one of the cars after 2010 - I don't think they actually got driven on snow before being replaced! Lots of shiny 4x4 and AWD's brought after 2010 too, that haven't really seen snow either.

Individuals, Companies, Councils, Government could no doubt do more to be prepared, but I'm not sure it's really fair to expect everything that countries that are guaranteed the snow can do. Never mind snow - how many days last winter were actually in the optimum temp range for Winter tyres? Very few iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Whilst all that is true, it's a problem which has been solved in most other countries by proper preperation and anticipation. So really none of that is Snows' fault, it's our fault for failing to prepare for the fact that when winter comes, we often get ice and sometimes snow, and should be prepared to handle that, be it winter tyres, extra provisions or what have you.

So let each and all of us take care of our old ones in bad weather, please. I am well used to living i very isolated rural places and my cupboards are already well stocked etc. But in towns it is less easy as being cut off can be unexpected. We old ones - and I am over 70 now- need some help and it is a small matter to keep literally a weather eye on neighbours. Many cannot afford to stock up.

Here is a story! When we had that first extreme winter I was up in the Bluestacks in Donegal Low on fuel etc.... I asked three people, including my landlord who lived down the lane, about getting fuel delivered and was refused. Finally I had to get my wee car ( no 4 wheel drive..) out. As soon as I hit the road I knew it was a mistake a there were three inches of solid ice but I am an expert driver.
    A mile down the road the way was clear so I filled the car with coal and wood, a new gas bottle and all the treats I had missed out on at Christmas.

Poor wee car would not get up the hills.. slither, slide, roll backwards... lost count of the time I knocked on doors..Gratifying that my landlord and family had to turn out to push at one stage but the filthy looks...

Was within sight of the house when the last refusal happened and of course I was blocking the road. Car stopped; old woman in the back with a small baby lambasted me for being out so I asked if she would rather I died of hypothermia,.

her man got on his mobile phone and lo! About ten cars, tractors etc magically appeared and I got home. Ye, they included the ones I had asked re deliveries so justice was done.

And then boardsies came to the rescue with supplies and later logs were cut. Utterly wonderful and how we should all be to others

Snow is lovely and all that you say it is.. but help others enjoy it too?

I am way out in the mountains in Kerry now and looking forward to the months after Christmas when I have no outside commitments. But I now have a good landlord and others I can call on at need... will not do so unless real need but I have had one broken bone this year already.. and here on boards it grew clear after a few weeks that folk were winter and snow weary

That winter I revelled in watching the dogs dig and eat snow and in melting snow for water.... at the ice lining each twig and branch.. then at the snowline creeping up the mountain as the thaw set in....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Can be hard to stock up for eg pensioners. I am over 70 and on a low income but am skilled at living in isolated places and all year I add a couple of extra tin and packets to my shopping; more concerned re my dogs and cats too! I cope very well thank you! But I also now have folk I "could" call on in real need. Leaves me free to enjoy whatever the weather throws. Up to each of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

Snow is my favourite thing in the world. I wish I could see it all year round but especially on Christmas morning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Graces7 wrote: »
    I asked three people, including my landlord who lived down the lane, about getting fuel delivered and was refused. Finally I had to get my wee car ( no 4 wheel drive..) out.

That's outrageous for so many reasons!! :mad:

One of the things I like about snow is that it (supposedly) brings out the sense of community, especially in rural communities. To refuse to bring a few bags of coal to an elderly neighbour is disgusting, I'd say at least one of those people had a 4x4.

That year I drove around in a 4x4 as my regular car was rwd, I made a point of having recovery equipment with me and towed quite a few neighbours out of ditches and snowbanks. If any of my neighbours had asked me to get them some supplies I would happily have ventured out and anytime I went to the shops I asked my neighbours could I get them anything.

Advertisement