Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitamin D3 Testing

Options
  • 12-11-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I suffer from low Vitamin D3 for the past few years. Usually my Vitamin D3 levels come back as <15 and the GP gives me a Vitamin D shot of 300,000 IU which works wonders. I have just gone to him to have my twice yearly test and he tells me that GP's can no longer test for Vitamin D, you have to go through a consultant. Is this for real?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NickyL

I was tested for many things including Vitamin D in August with no issues.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I was told my local hospital lab no longer does it, so my GP can run it but they will charge 40 euro.

There is no reason a consultant needs to be involved to order a vitamin d test.

But if you are consistently very low then maybe your GP wants you to go to a consultant to see if there's an underlying cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

I was told my local hospital lab no longer does it, so my GP can run it but they will charge 40 euro.
    Your local lab probably never did it but covered the cost of sending it to a private lab. Which I would guess they are no longer willing to do.
    There is no reason a consultant needs to be involved to order a vitamin d test.
    Labs can refuse tests unless they are OK'd through the clinical director of the lab to prevent misuse, waste of resources, etc. a pretty common one is requests for blood groups from people wanting to start that diet.

Most public clinical labs have their Pathology User Manuals on their website. It tells you what tests are availabe, requirements, etc.
    If you do get Vit D tested, a lab that uses a mass spectrometry method is preferable to other methods like ELISA. I think the Mater and St James have the Mass Spec method

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I knew they guy who worked in the lab of my local hospital, they definitely did it, but he did say they were inundated with requests so maybe that influenced the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

• Advertisement
Advertisement