Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MATHS

Options
  • 11-11-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

The area of a rectangle is 44cm2. if one side is 3cm longer than the other, find the length of the shorter side? Anyone know this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

(x)*(x+3)=44
    x^2+3x-44=0 then solve for x

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AlexTheLion

Given two unlabelled teams of n members each, if two sets of n are redrawn at random, what is the probability of k members changing teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AlexTheLion

Given two unlabelled teams of n members each, if two sets of n are redrawn at random, what is the probability of k members changing teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Blackpanther95

My guess: number of combos: 2nCn . number of combos with n members changing (nCk)^2
    From the first group pick the k members then do the same for the second group. I might however be double counting.
    Then you just divide the second term by the first one given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Keelsean

Side X x Y = Area so
    X x (X+3) = 44
    or more often written
    X(X+3) = 44 so multiply out left side getting to the stage where Eoin(above) is

X^2 + 3X – 44 = 0 reads as X squared + 3X = 44 ... now we bring 44 to other side of = sign leaving 0 there so
    if we factorise

X^2 + 3X – 44 = 0 factorise so factors of 44 that give 3 ... one of the factors equals Zero as the only way to get a zero
    when multiplying is if one amount is zero to start

Problem is that 44 doesn't factorise cleanly to whole numbers that will leave 3 when added or subtracted so this is obviously an honours JC level question where you'll need to use the Quadratic Formula to fully solve.
    This will be too confusing to simply write out here but if you need it taken the rest of the way then just let me know by reply

• Advertisement

Keelsean wrote: »
    Side X x Y = Area so
    X x (X+3) = 44
    or more often written
    X(X+3) = 44 so multiply out left side getting to the stage where Eoin(above) is

X^2 + 3X – 44 = 0 reads as X squared + 3X = 44 ... now we bring 44 to other side of = sign leaving 0 there so
    if we factorise

X^2 + 3X – 44 = 0 factorise so factors of 44 that give 3 ... one of the factors equals Zero as the only way to get a zero
    when multiplying is if one amount is zero to start

Problem is that 44 doesn't factorise cleanly to whole numbers that will leave 3 when added or subtracted so this is obviously an honours JC level question where you'll need to use the Quadratic Formula to fully solve.
    This will be too confusing to simply write out here but if you need it taken the rest of the way then just let me know by reply

I'm sure OP managed to figure it out in the seven years since.

Advertisement