Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours "Misogyny on boards" sticky...

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not sure how the last number of posts are feedback

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have to agree with the OP really.. there's far too much "overreaction" generally on this site in recent times to anything that could be considered controversial or offensive. There's already plenty of valid rules and ways to deal with the trolls, re-regs and so on without adding more.

Ultimately this is a discussion site and people are going to have differing views on things and really anyone who posts here should be ready for that and that discussions may get heated as people defend views they feel particularly strong/passionate about (within the bounds of the existing rules).

Ultimately it's simply impossible to please everyone - but the response to that shouldn't be to stifle debate altogether so as to not (potentially) offend anyone which is where this site is heading by the way "sensitive" topics immediately get edited/locked or added to with a set of Mod warnings. Deal with idiots as necessary of course, but it's a complete overreaction otherwise.

Frankly, if you can't handle/debate a different viewpoint without resorting to adolescent nonsense then you shouldn't post at all IMO, but attempting to derail or discredit that poster/position by resorting to "the big book of PC -isms" and crying foul is equally unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

It's weird the way "Don't make sweeping statements about women, based on a minority of women" is so problematic for some people. It's no different to "Don't make sweeping statements about men, based on some men" which is obviously a completely fair request.

I don't know where "PC" is supposed to come into it. "Within the bounds of existing rules" - this is exactly what is being aimed for. And I love too the way it's the defensiveness, not the behaviour that leads to conflict = resorting to "adolescent nonsense". :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Sugarmilk84

It's weird the way "Don't make sweeping statements about women, based on a minority of women" is so problematic for some people. It's no different to "Don't make sweeping statements about men, based on some men" which is obviously a completely fair request.

I don't know where "PC" is supposed to come into it. "Within the bounds of existing rules" - this is exactly what is being aimed for. And I love too the way it's the defensiveness, not the behaviour that leads to conflict = resorting to "adolescent nonsense". :)

That's a bit rich, this coming from the person throwing out insults in After Hours. The conversation was flowing just fine, everyone was playing by the rules in the marriage thread and then you begin throwing out insults. It ruins the thread for everyone because it becomes a snagging match and the discussion dies. You need to learn to accept that people will have opinions that differ from yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That's a bit rich, this coming from the person throwing out insults in After Hours. The conversation was flowing just fine, everyone was playing by the rules in the marriage thread and then you begin throwing out insults. It ruins the thread for everyone because it becomes a snagging match and the discussion dies. You need to learn to accept that people will have opinions that differ from yours.

Do you know what also ruins the thread and breaks conversation flow?

You reregistering, getting banned, posts deleted, reregistering, getting banned, posts deleted, reregistering, getting banned, posts deleted, reregistering, getting banned, posts deleted, reregistering, getting banned, posts deleted, reregistering, getting banned, posts deleted, reregistering, getting banned, posts deleted, reregistering, getting banned, posts deleted, reregistering, getting banned, posts deleted, reregistering, getting banned, posts deleted, reregistering, getting banned, posts deleted, reregistering, getting banned, posts deleted, reregistering, getting banned, posts deleted, reregistering, getting banned, posts deleted, etc. ad nauseum.

Practice what you preach.

Edit: Said muppet is also thanking this post with his new accounts. Shooting fish in a barrel.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement