Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Site Sold

Options
  • 10-11-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Confirmed on the news this morning that the Mart site has finally got a buyer.

Not confirmed as to who it is. Strongest rumour seems to be State Street.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

State street, does that mean a big office block might be built there? There would be war in KK if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I don't necessarily think there'd be war because frankly (imho), anything is better than the neglected site that we've had there since 2007. Although undoubtedly, lots of people will complain regardless and the conspiracy theories will fly about.

If it is State Street, I'd prefer they were in that location than on the brewery site.

My preference would be a mix of housing, green areas and businesses with a little bit of shopping (which was all in the original designs when the site was originally developed). Something that complements John's Green and Gasworks Lane and ideally doesn't look like a business park. Although with the new road going through it, I've no confidence that it won't be the case.

What would people like to see in that site?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't see a whole lot being able to go there, we don't need housing or retail and I assume you'd want industrial zones out of the city. Best case scenario was offices, hopefully more employment but unfortunately traffic is going to be a nightmare.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

A new secondary school would be ideal for that site.

But if State Street have bought it and develop it for their offices it should bring extra employment for the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

A big green/park/recreation area would be fantastic for Kilkenny. Its a shame that the only place like that is the castle. Dont get me wrong the castle grounds are lovely but its park is tiny and there is no pitches or recreational areas and if that wasn't there i don't know what id like to see there, but i definitely wouldnt like to see a big office or commercial building there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

I doubt its State Street. As far as I know they renewed their lease in Loughboy not too long ago. Haven't heard of any plans for them to go for their own building in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Threadhead wrote: »
    Confirmed on the news this morning that the Mart site has finally got a buyer.
    Not confirmed as to who it is. Strongest rumour seems to be State Street.
    Anyone got any ideas?

What is your source that it was sold?
    I doubt its State Street. As far as I know they renewed their lease in Loughboy not too long ago. Haven't heard of any plans for them to go for their own building in Kilkenny.
    The have other office down near john's green. maybe they are moving from them to bnew location. I know parking would be an issue in their current spot

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Would be very surprised too. They are big but certainly not a space intensive industry. There is many acres at the old mart. They'd surely expand their Loughboy facility rather than a city centre brownfield site.
    Be very surprised if it wasn't Tesco tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Bowlardo wrote: »
    What is your source that it was sold?

The have other office down near john's green. maybe they are moving from them to bnew location. I know parking would be an issue in their current spot

KCLR reported it this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

road_high wrote: »
    Would be very surprised too. They are big but certainly not a space intensive industry. There is many acres at the old mart. They'd surely expand their Loughboy facility rather than a city centre brownfield site.
    Be very surprised if it wasn't Tesco tbh.

State Street rent both the Loughboy and Barrack St offices and there was rumours a few years back about asking for another building in Loughboy ahead of agreeing a new contract. They have approx 500 staff in Kilkenny at the moment and are still growing. I agree that they wouldn't need the entire site but car parking alone for that number would take quite a bit of room.

State Street rent both the Loughboy and Barrack St offices and there was rumours a few years back about asking for another building in Loughboy ahead of agreeing a new contract. They have approx 500 staff in Kilkenny at the moment and are still growing. I agree that they wouldn't need the entire site but car parking alone for that number would take quite a bit of room.

They'll hardly leave Loughboy, as an outsider that makes no sense. 14 acres for an office with 500+ plus sounds mad

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Any idea how much it sold for? Did it reach anywhere near the asking price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I cannot believe traffic will be a problem to the mart site, we have the CAS which the council have deemed Grid lock will cure anything, remember trucks to and from the mart, trucks going and toing the brewery site, should be plain sailing.
    Support your local council they know best?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

I know somebody who works for Penneys and they had a meeting with staff last week to tell primark/penneys that they had bought the site and there will be a large scale development with a new penneys store and some other retailers.
    Interesting developments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Imagine, a 14 acre Penny's shop!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

were pennys not rumoured to be going into macdonagh junction when the second part of the shopping centre is developed,(down past dunnes)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

linny wrote: »
    were pennys not rumoured to be going into macdonagh junction when the second part of the shopping centre is developed,(down past dunnes)

Yea that was on the cards a few years ago but mcDonagh were refused planning permission.

According to my friend work will begin on the site in the new year, she has seen some of the plans and there is going to be one of the largest pennys in Ireland but there is lots of retail space to be developed for other tenants too

Yea that was on the cards a few years ago but mcDonagh were refused planning permission.

No full planning was granted for the future development at the rear of mac donagh junction, for another anchor tenant and other smaller stores,

This is great news if it is true but will they get planning for more retail in this part of the city, I thought that area is after been rezoned for housing

Mixed use development is ideal for this site given it's massive size and location. Retail, housing and office use is what's needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

I heard a rumour that a cinema company may have been involved in the purchase. Anybody else hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Spins wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that a cinema company may have been involved in the purchase. Anybody else hear this?

On the money..

pueblo wrote: »
    On the money..
    You in the know ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

You in the know ;-)

No, but I know someone in the know ...you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Is it realistic to think that Penneys will keep the store in Market Cross as Boots did with keeping High St when they opened in McDonagh Junction?

holyhead wrote: »
    Is it realistic to think that Penneys will keep the store in Market Cross as Boots did with keeping High St when they opened in McDonagh Junction?

they might but I couldn't see them keeping market cross open if they were to open a store the size of newbridge or blanchardstown, but it would be agreat pull for shoppers to have a big pennys,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

It would pull a hell of a lot of people out of town for sure. Would have a long term negative effect on retail trade in the high street. Looks like Joe Crockett and John Mullholland are about to allow the same thing that they allowed happen carlow happen kilkenny.

kikel wrote: »
    It would pull a hell of a lot of people out of town for sure. Would have a long term negative effect on retail trade in the high street. Looks like Joe Crockett and John Mullholland are about to allow the same thing that they allowed happen carlow happen kilkenny.

I would be thinking the opposite will bring people to the city, if they were to close market cross store would be nice to see a M&S in there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

M & S would be more likely to go the Old Mart Site but maybe I'm wrong. Twould be great to see M & S in KK though. Love their food. It will definitely shat on Market Cross were Penny's to pull out. I could see Heatons going to a large unit in the Mart Site too if they got the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I would be thinking the opposite will bring people to the city, if they were to close market cross store would be nice to see a M&S in there :D

Do you think M&S would fit in that space?

Yes you might get more people going to kilkenny but very few would go to the city centre. Like carlow the main street would die. The current executive f*£ked up carlow and they are hell bent on doing the same to kilkenny.

Advertisement