Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Brine for my Turkey

• 10-11-2014 7:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭ Jude13

We are putting our tree up this weekend and I will also be cooking (BBQ) my turkey. It's a frozen one and although I have had great success in cooking the turkey in the past, done it four times now, I hear to make it even better I should brine it.

I will be smoking the turkey on the Braai (BBQ) so that will be the dominant flavour so the brine will be for moisture. Any advice on my recipe below:

Iced water (in cool-box)
    Veg stock with brown sugar (cooled to room temp)
    Salt
    Pepper Corns
    Two halved oranges
    Rosemary
    Bay Leafs

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭ washiskin

I've used this one in the past http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spiced-and-superjuicy-roast-turkey and it was lovely but then I didn't smoke the turkey. I usually go with a flavoured VERY soft flavoured butter massaged into the breast meat under the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭ Jude13

That is a long list for the brine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭ washiskin

I didn't bother with the caraway or mustard seeds (mainly because I didn't have them :o) but in order to cut the list dramatically you could use unground Ras-el-Hanout or even ground, just warm gently in a dry pan before adding to the liquid.

Ok I need help, the bird defrosted way quicker than expected. So I put it in the brine yesterday with ice water. How long is it good to keep? Do I need to cook it tonight??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭ Markcheese

<Mod snip>

On the turkey , tried brining it, won't bother again....in fairness it's usually a pretty decent bird to start with ( free range bronze) and I butter baste it ,but couldn't see the point in drowning an already dead turkey ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 Overflow

Jude13 wrote: »
    We are putting our tree up this weekend and I will also be cooking (BBQ) my turkey. It's a frozen one and although I have had great success in cooking the turkey in the past, done it four times now, I hear to make it even better I should brine it.

I will be smoking the turkey on the Braai (BBQ) so that will be the dominant flavour so the brine will be for moisture. Any advice on my recipe below:

Iced water (in cool-box)
    Veg stock with brown sugar (cooled to room temp)
    Salt
    Pepper Corns
    Two halved oranges
    Rosemary
    Bay Leafs

Cheers

Unfortunately you will not get good results when brining a frozen turkey. The freezing process damages the cells natural ability to hold moisture and absorb your tasty brine.

How long is it good to keep now that its defrosted? Do I need to cook it tonight??

Advertisement