Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brine for my Turkey

Options
  • 10-11-2014 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

We are putting our tree up this weekend and I will also be cooking (BBQ) my turkey. It's a frozen one and although I have had great success in cooking the turkey in the past, done it four times now, I hear to make it even better I should brine it.

I will be smoking the turkey on the Braai (BBQ) so that will be the dominant flavour so the brine will be for moisture. Any advice on my recipe below:

Iced water (in cool-box)
    Veg stock with brown sugar (cooled to room temp)
    Salt
    Pepper Corns
    Two halved oranges
    Rosemary
    Bay Leafs

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I've used this one in the past http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spiced-and-superjuicy-roast-turkey and it was lovely but then I didn't smoke the turkey. I usually go with a flavoured VERY soft flavoured butter massaged into the breast meat under the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

That is a long list for the brine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I didn't bother with the caraway or mustard seeds (mainly because I didn't have them :o) but in order to cut the list dramatically you could use unground Ras-el-Hanout or even ground, just warm gently in a dry pan before adding to the liquid.

Ok I need help, the bird defrosted way quicker than expected. So I put it in the brine yesterday with ice water. How long is it good to keep? Do I need to cook it tonight??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

<Mod snip>

On the turkey , tried brining it, won't bother again....in fairness it's usually a pretty decent bird to start with ( free range bronze) and I butter baste it ,but couldn't see the point in drowning an already dead turkey ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Jude13 wrote: »
    We are putting our tree up this weekend and I will also be cooking (BBQ) my turkey. It's a frozen one and although I have had great success in cooking the turkey in the past, done it four times now, I hear to make it even better I should brine it.

I will be smoking the turkey on the Braai (BBQ) so that will be the dominant flavour so the brine will be for moisture. Any advice on my recipe below:

Iced water (in cool-box)
    Veg stock with brown sugar (cooled to room temp)
    Salt
    Pepper Corns
    Two halved oranges
    Rosemary
    Bay Leafs

Cheers

Unfortunately you will not get good results when brining a frozen turkey. The freezing process damages the cells natural ability to hold moisture and absorb your tasty brine.

How long is it good to keep now that its defrosted? Do I need to cook it tonight??

Advertisement