Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passed NCT (twice) without spare wheel

Options
  • 10-11-2014 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

I was replacing the battery on one of the cars today, which is located in the boot.
    I noticed that the spare tyre is missing and probably wasn't there since we purchased it.

The car does not have run flats.

It passed the NCT last month and the previous one 2 years ago.

I thought that a spare wheel is a requirement.

How is it possible that it passed twice without one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It is possible, as spare wheel is not a requirement for NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

If the spare wheel is there they will check it! Not a requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Not required but if you have one they will check it

on a separate note all cars should be forced to have one instead of a can of gunk

visual wrote: »
    Not required but if you have one they will check it

on a separate note all cars should be forced to have one instead of a can of gunk

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

CiniO wrote: »
    Why?

Because 20 mins on the side of the road trying to inflate a flat tyre then giving up and calling a recovery truck isn't progress, and that is most people's experience when they are faced with a flat.

What ever about space saver not being ideal at least it gets you on your way.

• Advertisement

Because 20 mins on the side of the road trying to inflate a flat tyre then giving up and calling a recovery truck isn't progress, and that is most people's experience when they are faced with a flat.

Well that's true that those puncture repair kits are far from being great, but I'd say it should be up to the owner to decide if he want's more boot space of spare wheel.
    Many people wouldn't bother with changing wheel anyway, but just ring recovery truck to tow them to the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,896 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CiniO wrote: »
    Well that's true that those puncture repair kits are far from being great, but I'd say it should be up to the owner to decide if he want's more boot space of spare wheel.
    Many people wouldn't bother with changing wheel anyway, but just ring recovery truck to tow them to the garage.

Not much good if you are in an area with poor coverage. The bare minimum for passing a B licence test is you should be able to change a wheel, top up the oil and replace a blown bulb.

Of course to bring in the one for bulbs manufacturers should be forced to make cars which don't require disassembling half the front of the car to replace a bulb, it's ludicrous that they are allowed sell a product that once a bulb blows is illegal but impossible to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Top marks to the OP for observation. Has had the car for over two years and only now notices that there is no spare !. Then blames the NCT for passing the car with no spare:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Top marks to the OP for observation. Has had the car for over two years and only now notices that there is no spare !. Then blames the NCT for passing the car with no spare:confused:

Blaming them for what? All he said was he thought it was a requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

"How is it possible to have passed twice with out one"
    To me that's blaming
    The main thing is the lack of observation though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

cant be an NCT requirement.. a lot of new cars dont come with spares as standard any more.. just a tube of gunk and a mini compressor.. has anyone had to use the kit? i havent thankfully with either of my last two cars but surely there will come a day.. i think ill be lazy and use breakdown assist.. have it both with the car and on the car insurance..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

"How is it possible to have passed twice with out one"
    To me that's blaming
    The main thing is the lack of observation though.

To me that's a question, it even had a question mark that you left out.

You are just nitpicking and stirring for no reason IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Always always always check for a spare wheel when buying a car. If there's none there or it's a wheelbarrow wheel get the seller to throw one into the deal or a couple of hundred of the price. If the tyre is in bad condition, a hundred of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

so the the lesson learned today is....
    if you have a spare tyre in the boot check it out before the test.
    if said tyre is bald/dodgy remove from boot.
    after car is has new cert, replace (dodgy)spare tyre into boot.
    Mmmmm.....something a bit fishy going on here :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭WildWater

I've had three punctures in the last 18 months. Two in a car without a spare and one in a car with.

In the case of the car with a spare I got the car jacked up, bolts undone no problem as I carry a cross brace and I've change plenty of wheels in my time. But could I feck get the wheel off the car! Pulling, kicking, cursing (that didn't help much) hitting it with the spare etc. I should add that while doing this I was afraid I was going to knock the car off its flimsy jack. As a last option before calling the breakdown service I got a big rock (after walking some distance to find one). Hit it with that and finally I had it off. So I was at least 30 minutes at the side of a busy road changing the wheel and I was fecking exhausted (I'm not as young as I used to be).

In the case of the car without the spare. On both occasions I took out my can of Holts Tyre Weld followed the instructions and in less than 5mins I was on my way. The stuff worked brilliantly. [Note the car came with its own gunk and compressor but I would have no faith in that.]

I now carry Tyre weld in my car that has a spare and will use that as my first option in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Does that tyre weld stuff in a can render the tyre useless causing the tyre to be replaced no matter what the puncture?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭kirving

I'm well able to change a wheel, but a driver side wheel on the side of a motorway, at night maybe, I'd prefer a can of gunk every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭dodzy

pippip wrote: »
    Does that tyre weld stuff in a can render the tyre useless causing the tyre to be replaced no matter what the puncture?
    Nope, the stuff can be washed away using warm water at puncture repair time (according to the manufacturer, that is). Never used it, so can't comment for sure. On another note, somebody mentioned that it should be a requirement for passing a test, being able to change a wheel. I've had to literally dance on some wheel nuts over the years. A slight female would have absolutely no chance of changing a wheel in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

dodzy wrote: »
    Nope, the stuff can be washed away using warm water at puncture repair time (according to the manufacturer, that is). Never used it, so can't comment for sure. On another note, somebody mentioned that it should be a requirement for passing a test, being able to change a wheel. I've had to literally dance on some wheel nuts over the years. A slight female would have absolutely no chance of changing a wheel in this case.

A slight female....:pac: If a slight female is ever driving your car get one of those extendible wheel braces in Lidl, they're a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,896 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Carry a bigger lever if you can't undo the bolts.

As for the wheel being stuck on. A thin layer of copper grease will stop the metals binding and only takes a couple of seconds to apply when you are practicing changing a wheel in a safe place.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    A slight female....:pac: If a slight female is ever driving your car get one of those extendible wheel braces in Lidl, they're a great job.
    Yeah, I was watching the wording and was unsure ;) If it was an AH thread, I'd just have said a skin....... Ah forget it :D

Agree totally, a breaker bar is handy for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

:
    Yeah, I was watching the wording and was unsure ;) If it was an AH thread, I'd just have said a skin....... Ah forget it :D

Agree totally, a breaker bar is handy for anyone.

:D:D. Great reply...

WildWater wrote: »
    I've had three punctures in the last 18 months. Two in a car without a spare and one in a car with.

In the case of the car with a spare I got the car jacked up, bolts undone no problem as I carry a cross brace and I've change plenty of wheels in my time. But could I feck get the wheel off the car! Pulling, kicking, cursing (that didn't help much) hitting it with the spare etc. I should add that while doing this I was afraid I was going to knock the car off its flimsy jack. As a last option before calling the breakdown service I got a big rock (after walking some distance to find one). Hit it with that and finally I had it off. So I was at least 30 minutes at the side of a busy road changing the wheel and I was fecking exhausted (I'm not as young as I used to be).

In the case of the car without the spare. On both occasions I took out my can of Holts Tyre Weld followed the instructions and in less than 5mins I was on my way. The stuff worked brilliantly. [Note the car came with its own gunk and compressor but I would have no faith in that.]

I now carry Tyre weld in my car that has a spare and will use that as my first option in future.

That's an interesting experience. I spoke to a dealer recently an older genuine guy and asked if he thought having a spare wheel was a good thing or bad thing... He reckoned you were better off without one for avoiding exactly the experience you outlined. Question re the tyre weld. Is it expensive? If you use it is they tyre still OK for repair?

Question re the tyre weld. Is it expensive? If you use it is they tyre still OK for repair?

1. A tenner for a large can. 8 quid for a smaller one.
    2. Tyreweld wont damage the tyre but i'd say the puncture repair guy will be cursing you well after you're gone.

Just thinking, maybe some would refuse to work on it bearing in mind the mess might make it difficult to ascertain if (all) punctures are repaired ??

2. Tyreweld wont damage the tyre but i'd say the puncture repair guy will be cursing you well after you're gone.

Just thinking, maybe some would refuse to work on it bearing in mind the mess might make it difficult to ascertain if (all) punctures are repaired ??

So the can just connects to the tyre valve and it's pressurised enough to pump the tyre with the gunk? Off to Halfords tomorrow so

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭WildWater

That's an interesting experience. I spoke to a dealer recently an older genuine guy and asked if he thought having a spare wheel was a good thing or bad thing... He reckoned you were better off without one for avoiding exactly the experience you outlined. Question re the tyre weld. Is it expensive? If you use it is they tyre still OK for repair?

Well as I said even if you have a spare I think €10 invested in a can of tyre weld is money well spent.

I go to a local tyre guy that I know quite well. Each time I told him that I used the tyre weld and he made no comment.
    So the can just connects to the tyre valve and it's pressurised enough to pump the tyre with the gunk? Off to Halfords tomorrow so

Yep, that is it. Very simple. Halford often have them on offer at 2 for 1 or buy one get the other half price.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Carry a bigger lever if you can't undo the bolts.

There is no way changing a tyre should be part of the test. I know very few women who would be physically able to change a tyre. It's extremely difficult to loosen bolts nowadays as they are tightened extremely tight. Then there is actually lifting the wheel itself which can be very heavy if it's a big wheel then there is using the jack which if you aren't used to it is quite dangerous (for either men or women). It's much safer for a lot of people to ring someone they know for help or ring a recovery (isn't that why people pay for it).

Being able to change a wheel isn't really necessary nowadays, yes it handy and I like that I'm able but it's not vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Depends if the sidewall is damaged or not as to the effectiveness of a can of tyre spray.
    Small punctures are fine, big damage won't be repaired by an aerosol and a change of tyre may be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

There is no way changing a tyre should be part of the test. I know very few women who would be physically able to change a tyre. It's extremly difficult to loosen bolts nowadays as they are tightened extremly tight. Then there is actually lifting the wheel itself which can me very heavy if it's a big wheel then there is using the jack which if you aren't used to it is quite dangerous (for either men or women). It's much safer for a lot of people to ring someone they know for help or ring a recovery (isn't that why people pay for it).

Being able to change a wheel isn't really necessary nowadays, yes it handy and I like that I'm able but it's not vital.

Have to say i'd agree, I have male friends who wouldn't even be able to lift my spare wheel out of the boot, let alone mount is successfully on the hub.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My car is converted to LPG and has a donut sparewheel well tank, it has passed its NCT twice previously without a spare wheel. It is in tomorrow again for NCT so I expect no difference.

Advertisement