Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your most memorable snow event?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I'm just starting to read "Irelands Artic Siege" by Kevin C Kearns.

It's about that cold period in 1947.

Great fireside read for these gloomy
    winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I'm just starting to read "Irelands Artic Siege" by Kevin C Kearns.

It's about that cold period in 1947.

Great fireside read for these gloomy
    winter months.

Sounds like an interesting read, is it mainly focused on the cold period in dublin or are other areas covered also ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Takca wrote: »
    Sounds like an interesting read, is it mainly focused on the cold period in dublin or are other areas covered also ?

Im only as far as December, just after the
    time people from all over the country helped
    out in the annual harvest.

I think it covers a lot about most of the country.

Its an interesting read all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

New Year's Eve going into 2010. Our beloved dog, who was paralysed in her hind legs, had just acquired her wheels and was flying! She had always loved the snow. She'd had her walk and bath and was settled in for the night when the first flakes began to fall. At first, I ignored them, felling sad that because of her disability, she would no longer be able to run in snow and chase snowballs. After a while, something got the better of me. I looked at her and said, "fancy playing in the snow?". Her eyes and ears answered! I nervously strapped her in, put on boots and coat and we stepped outside. The snow was falling fast and there were already a few inches. Once we'd bumbled our way down the steps and out the gate onto the road, it was as if her disability was no longer present. We lived at the end of a cul-de-sac. My little angel started whizzing around the road in sheer joy. I threw snowballs for her, some of which she caught before they even hit the ground! I sat in the snow, not caring that my backside was getting soaked, just to kiss her happy head when she ran over to me with her tongue hanging out :) It was just like old times with her when we were both younger and carefree, and before her disease took hold.

That night, midnight came and went and I didn't see it. There were no bells or singing, no hugs or handshakes. I don't even know where we were when it passed, but I know it was and still is my happiest one. Just the two of us, giving the two fingered salute to her disability and taking our happiness where we found it.

I didn't know then that our time together would be so short and that I would have to say goodbye to her so soon. It makes the memory of that night even more precious and beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It has be 2010 - my most memorable year as well.

2010 was a year of sunshine and the sun that year was brilliant. However, what stood out to me even more was the snowfall. My station, Grange recorded its snowiest year (highest number of days with snowfall, not amount of snowfall) since records began in 1986. I guess I was very lucky compared to most parts of the country which recorded few days with snowfall. Oh how I remember like it was yesterday.

Winter 2009 / 10 - I have a few memories from this Winter but not much! I remember it being so cold but not much snowfall (apart from the first week of January and New Year's Day especially). I can't believe I was out having fun in my cousins' trampoline on New Year's Day in the FREEZING COLD (I was crazy :pac:) and then it started to snow (with blue skies nearly everywhere :confused:). I felt like I was in heaven as it was so beautiful having that snow and sun at the same time.

Winter 2010 / 11 - Now this will be the most memorable ever in my memories (unless it is broken again like it maybe will but who knows!!!). November was a classic month for sunshine after the first week as I literally recorded sunshine on nearly every day! As the temperatures got lower from the 23rd onwards with the classic sunshine again, I knew that Winter was on its way (I did not even look at the forecasts, I just assumed). I went asleep overnight on the 26th and suddenly I just woke up very early in the morning and saw it snowing!!!!!!!!! I was very happy. All day on the 27th November - 2nd December, it kept on snowing and man it did not stop!! I actually feel like crying when I think of these days as they were some of the best memories I ever had and I did not take any photos or anything! (I would like to give that me a big punch for that) It was sunny from the 3rd - 6th December non-stop! Then on the 7th, we got more heavy snowfall. The 8th was another classic Winter sunny day with very cold air. The 9th and 10th were cloudy and dry but by then I was sick unfortunately (even though it got slightly milder :pac:). The 11th and 12th were slightly colder and very sunny again. The 13th-15th was a dry and cloudy period and not memorable. From the 16th though, Arctic air plunged and I had snow that stayed from the 16th all the way to Christmas Day. St. Stephen's Day then ruined this brilliant period of snowfall. Some days such as the 18th or 19th in January were brilliant also for me as they were so sunny and cold at the same time. I just adore those Winter days with sunshine (blue skies) and very cold like recently the 15th February or even Monday or yesterday. So that was my most memorable snowfall event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Remember an event in April 1999 that really stands out as it was my first distinct memory of snow. I recall waking up early and seeing everything covered in a few inches of snow. Snow was all gone by the afternoon due to the strong April sun. Anybody remember this event?

Rcfsr_1_1999041406.png

From met.ie "Significant snowfalls near the east coast in the early hours and further snow showers overnight near western and northern coasts"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Grandparents say 47. Two people died in the area and couldn't be buried for a month. People were able to walk on top of the ditches the snow was that high.

Parents say 81. I was only 6 months old and food and supplies had to be airlifted in. We were without power for a week. The snow had drifted up to the windows on the house. There was some thundersnow as well. We were trapped in the house for two weeks.

97 for me. The main roads had been cleared but they couldn't get to the mountain roads so we were prisoners for well over two weeks. The schools were closed for what seemed like forever. Again we had to have supplies brought in by helicopter. A lot of sheep and cows were lost that year on the mountain.

2010 is memorable for the cold rather than snow for me. I was living in a town then and the roads were drivable after a couple of days. I had left a bottle of water in the car one night and it was frozen solid the next morning along with the engine. Next doors pipes froze and the house was flooded and then froze on top of it. We tried to go fishing on a canal but couldn't break the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

patneve2 wrote: »
    Remember an event in April 1999 that really stands out as it was my first distinct memory of snow. I recall waking up early and seeing everything covered in a few inches of snow. Snow was all gone by the afternoon due to the strong April sun. Anybody remember this event?
    What I remember from that year was sunburn on St Patrick's Day (19c) followed a month later by a decent April snowfall!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

January 1990 i think it was, on a friday, 1st year in secondary school and we were going into geography class after lunch, and it started raining heavily, but quickly turned to snow and man did it snow, got on the bus at 4 o'clock and didn't get home til after 6, usually took 45mins, then the home place is up on a hill, so we had to walk up that to the house, fupping torture it was.

We taught this was great, never seen so much snow, until the mother said, this isn't snow, you should have seen the snow in 82, unfortuately i was to young to remember it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

January 1990 i think it was, on a friday, 1st year in secondary school and we were going into geography class after lunch, and it started raining heavily, but quickly turned to snow and man did it snow, got on the bus at 4 o'clock and didn't get home til after 6, usually took 45mins, then the home place is up on a hill, so we had to walk up that to the house, fupping torture it was.

We taught this was great, never seen so much snow, until the mother said, this isn't snow, you should have seen the snow in 82, unfortuately i was to young to remember it

I remember that event, started off as sleety rain early in the morning before school. i was dissapointed that there was no snow as I had to go to school! Then it turned to very heavy rain then around 11am during morning break it stopped and I thought that was it. Then during Irish class around 12.30pm just before lunch break everyones heads turned to the window and what I saw was fantastic, big dinner plate sized fluffy flakes and it just kept getting heavier! By 4pm there was about 5 inchs on the ground and just about managed to walk home, think we had about a week off school after that as there was about a foot of snow on the ground by the next day. Unfortunately I think that very event was the last of the regular snow events we enjoyed in the east of the country all through the 1980s and leading into 1991. After that snow events have been very few and far between only really 2000, 2008,2009,2010 that I can remember.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    I remember that event, started off as sleety rain early in the morning before school. i was dissapointed that there was no snow as I had to go to school! Then it turned to very heavy rain then around 11am during morning break it stopped and I thought that was it. Then during Irish class around 12.30pm just before lunch break everyones heads turned to the window and what I saw was fantastic, big dinner plate sized fluffy flakes and it just kept getting heavier! By 4pm there was about 5 inchs on the ground and just about managed to walk home, think we had about a week off school after that as there was about a foot of snow on the ground by the next day. Unfortunately I think that very event was the last of the regular snow events we enjoyed in the east of the country all through the 1980s and leading into 1991. After that snow events have been very few and far between only really 2000, 2008,2009,2010 that I can remember.

What about 2001? And White Christmas 2004

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Ah too many memories!

I remember it was a school night and we were all throwing snow at each other at 1am. Everyone on the road was out. Following day the same happened in school (had a bloody face from an accidental ice throw). Eventually the snow got so bad they closed the school for a good two weeks (those were the days). Over the 2 weeks of extended Christmas, my mates and I happened across a properly constructed igloo just as we needed it, our hands were about to fall off and it was so warm inside. A couple of days later we got stranded in my cousins house in Wicklow because of the snow which led to 2 days of even more fun.

Eventually the school re-opened, and they had hired a digger to scoop all the ice in the carpark into this one huge pile. It didn't melt properly for months afterwards and it led to plenty more mischief in that time (like putting a block down the back of lads shirt) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If it was a few degrees colder West Clare would be completely snowed under at the moment :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Great thread, what a shame we don't have more of these memories!

For me, it was the 87 snowfall and my old man took me up to Kippure and we skied in across the Featherbeds road up up the mountain a little. The weather turned nasty, so we sheltered in a gully and made ourselves comfortable with a flask of soup and sandwiches. As we were eating our lunch in this blizzard, along came the local mountain rescue team who were out doing a training exercise. The look on their faces was classic as they struggled by on foot in the deep snow while we two were sitting pretty down in this gully, skis stood up beside us. All we got was a nod and a brief hello as they continued on up the hill, a couple of cross country skiers wasn't an everyday sight for them in the 80s! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    What about 2001? And White Christmas 2004

From what I remember the 2001 event completely missed my location, I remember loads of snow in Dublin but nothing here and Christmas 2004 while nice doesnt really qualify as the snow only lasted a few hours on the ground after it fell and was completely vanished by Stephens Day.

All in all the large gaps that I can remember are from 1992 to 1999 where nothing memorable fell. 2000 was good and then nothing of note between 2001 and 2007. 2008 is memorable even tho it wasnt amazing as it was the first decent snow in such a long time, I think it fell in early February of that year. 2009 had some nice snow as well and how can we forget 2010. Since then sweet fek all snow of note between 2011 and 2016, Lets see what 2017 brings.

From what I remember the 2001 event completely missed my location, I remember loads of snow in Dublin but nothing here and Christmas 2004 while nice doesnt really qualify as the snow only lasted a few hours on the ground after it fell and was completely vanished by Stephens Day.

All in all the large gaps that I can remember are from 1992 to 1999 where nothing memorable fell. 2000 was good and then nothing of note between 2001 and 2007. 2008 is memorable even tho it wasnt amazing as it was the first decent snow in such a long time, I think it fell in early February of that year. 2009 had some nice snow as well and how can we forget 2010. Since then sweet fek all snow of note between 2011 and 2016, Lets see what 2017 brings.

Snowfall I have seen or experienced:

1990 - none here... you were lucky that January
    1991 - January and especially February...
    1992 - none
    1993 - White Christmas and January 10th, otherwise that's it
    1994 - none
    1995 - White Christmas
    1996 - November and December snowfalls
    1997 - none
    1998 - none
    1999 - White Christmas
    2000 - December including a White Christmas
    2001 - January was very frosty but not snowy. However, February, March and December all recorded snowfall at some point especially February 27th and the White Christmas.
    2002 - none
    2003 - October 22nd (thunderstorm of snowfall)
    2004 - White Christmas (the whitest one)
    2005 - November 24th-25th
    2006 - March 1st-5th
    2007 - February 8th, March 18th-20th
    2008 - February 1st/2nd, March (can't remember dates), April 13th (there were a few more but I can't remember), October 27th-29th, November 29th/30th, December 9th (can't remember other dates)
    2009 - February 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 8th, March 8th, December 16th-25th
    2010 - January 1st-9th, February 9th-13th, 19th/20th, March 30th/31st, November 27th-30th, December 1st-3rd, 7th, 16th-25th
    2011 - December 13th
    2012 - April 4th
    2013 - January 19th-23rd, February 5th, 23rd/24th, March 11th/12th, 19th/20th, 23rd/24th, 26th-28th
    2014 - February 11th
    2015 - January 13th, March 1st/2nd
    2016 - February 11th, 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

I'm in Cork - there was a sleet shower earlier - so it's fair to say that was Cork's most memorable snow event in living memory except for the winter of 2010 :D:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The only significant snow event I have is when in 2009, around new years, I went to england to visit a family member for two nights. Then the snow came and my flight back was cancelled. Couldn't get another flight for 8 days, I only brought enough clothes for 3 days. When I eventually got the flight, it kept being continuously delayed, was sat in the airport for around 9 hours waiting. When they finally declared boarding, I assume they way overbooked it, cos I've never seen a scrum like it to get on a plane, never seen a ryanair flight so full before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

As a hiker I cheat by getting more regular snow events than perhaps most in here ;)

I've been in two proper "whiteouts" on Irish mountains (not simply blizzards, been in plenty of them). Both were very still days, no snow was falling, and because of the lying snow and the white cloud you could not see where the horizon ended and sky begun. It's quite eerie - it's like your eyes have stopped working - it is disorientating and probably quite scary if you can't navigate.

The first time we were in one we were standing no more than a few metres away from the upwards slope of a mountain, and we simply could not distinguish it until we started heading uphill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'm going to be really boring and say that it was January 1982. Parts of the country came to a standstill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 fastnorte

I still vividly remember the snow storms of 1981-1982. I was 15 then and stayed out all night enjoying the snow in St. Anne's park in Raheny. Dry, flaky snow up to your knees and drifts surmounting the walls around St. Paul's College, more or less 12 feet high. My more entrepreneurial friends had gone into towards town to the hill and bridge over the Royal Canal where Charleville Mall meets the North Strand Road. Lots of cars trying to leave town but couldn't get up the hill without help. A quid per car for a push over the hill, otherwise find your own way home on shank's mare. This was long before the existence of mobile phones or GPS and people regularly got lost around the city so a lot of money was made.

It took a long time for the snow to melt so sliding buses and trucks (engines in reverse) were a great feature at traffic lights. I went to school by bike and it was fun trying to stay upright, Jervis St. and the Mater hospitals were full of people who had taken a fall. People kept their house paths and driveways ice free by sprinkling ashes from fireplaces; lots of smoky coal residue around for weeks. All the dirt and ugliness was covered by a brilliant white sheet of beauty.

Normal life took days or weeks to return. Everybody had a hill or obstruction that made getting to school / work impossible, nothing was said and I don't think th

forgot to mention one of my most memorable snow events was also one of the lightest, it didnt even stick to the ground, its just how late in the year it occured. I dont have the exact date but it was early June in 1986, at about 9.25am and I was only 12 at the time and in school, we had a brief 10 minute snow shower, none of us could believe what we were seeing but it was definitely snow!

forgot to mention one of my most memorable snow events was also one of the lightest, it didnt even stick to the ground, its just how late in the year it occured. I dont have the exact date but it was early June in 1986, at about 9.25am and I was only 12 at the time and in school, we had a brief 10 minute snow shower, none of us could believe what we were seeing but it was definitely snow!

Are you sure? June was the only good month of Summer 1986 I recall. Plus I can only see that snowfall took place in June 1975 and June 2009 in most recent times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm going to be really boring and say that it was January 1982. Parts of the country came to a standstill.

Well I'll agree with you, there was five feet of snow out my back garden, there's a photo of me on top of my dad's shoulders and all you can see is the top of his head. He was telling me that the residents dug two paths, one to the shop and one to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Are you sure? June was the only good month of Summer 1986 I recall. Plus I can only see that snowfall took place in June 1975 and June 2009 in most recent times?

Where did the snowfall in June 2009 occur? It's hard to believe that snow could fall at time of the year, even on the highest summits in Ireland

Where did the snowfall in June 2009 occur? It's hard to believe that snow could fall at time of the year, even on the highest summits in Ireland

Parts of Northern England (even lower levels). It started off exceptionally hot the month did with maximums up to 29c in Galway but on the 6th, Winter took place! Dublin did not get above even 9.1c - the lowest for June on record and whilst the east did not record snowfall, we recorded over 40mm of rainfall.

im 95% sure it was early June as I was in my final year in primary school at the time and the summer holidays where just around the corner! Ok I was only 12 years of age at the time and maybe it seemed later but im almost certain it was the first week of June, and if im wrong it couldn't be much earlier than the final week of May! It was totally out of sorts with the time of year and it caused an entire class of 42 twelve year olds to stop and look out the window and the teacher to put down his chalk and stare out the window as well in amazment!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Speaking of the snow 1982, i came across this: http://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0115/760459-the-big-snow/

Good to see the big children enjoying the snow as well:D

Advertisement