Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreading the Xmas office party?

Options
  • 09-11-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭

Ours is coming up in early December. Am I in a minority when I say I look forward to it?

A colleague was telling me the other day that "he dreads the whole flippin' idea of it".

Any thoughts on it? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Don't go...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Autonomous wrote: »
    Don't go...

But, (s)he's looking forward to it.

Did you even read the op?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I left ours after the meal last year to go to a techno gig in town :o Will try and stay the whole night this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Free beet and food go if not nah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Not going to mine. Going to get a curry and few beers in and watch some movies on the Saturday night instead. Much more relaxing and enjoyable imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

As an opportunity to bond with your co-workers under the auspices of religious celebration, the Christmas Party should be encouraged by all right thinking people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Free beet

Can't argue with free healthy nutrition.
    Beets are a unique source of phytonutrients called betalains. Betanin and vulgaxanthin are the two best-studied betalains from beets, and both have been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

You can't beat beets. Well, maybe you can hit them with a banana, if your aim is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

If mine is within walking distance of home then I'll consider going but if it's any further I'll be giving it a miss. I get on quite well with a few people at work but there are others that I really don't want to listen to at work let alone outside of it so I normally avoid these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

It's 3 or 4 hours once a year so I can bear it. ....as long as I don't get stuck sitting at a bad table...... with the "funny" and "really sound" MD!

The fact that I swerve almost every other event all year, I do show my face at this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Not going to bother with mine

The biatches be all over me and they would jst look desperate...doing them afavour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Just remember beer before wine everything fine
    wine before beer everything is queer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I like to keep my work separate from everything else. Work is a business transaction, I give them hours of my time, they give me money. If you complicate it with personal attachments, it just gets messy. I've known so many people who stay in a crappy job or deal with a crappy boss because they feel a personal attachment to some co-workers or some boss or the owner or the customers.

In fact, companies spend a lot of money to try and artificially promote bonds between co-workers for exactly this reason. Team outings, summer parties, bring you children days, Christmas parties....it's all meant to make you feel like you are 'part of something'.

Naturally, the flip-side doesn't hold. When it's time to fire people to improve the bottom line; the soulless company will be happy to let you go.

It happens all the time. So and so worked his or her ass off for years, always helping out, pitching in, going above and beyond and feeling like he or she was apart of the company. And then the company fires them or shuts down their office because the handful of rich people running it can afford a 4th summer home by offshoring the jobs somewhere else.

Screw Christmas parties.
    I have friends and family that I'll party with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A guy I worked with always said the Christmas party was more to be endured than enjoyed. I have to agree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

UCDVet wrote: »
    Naturally, the flip-side doesn't hold. When it's time to fire people to improve the bottom line; the soulless company will be happy to let you go.
    All other things being equal, they'll sack the guy who they don't have a strong personal relationship with over those they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Phoebas wrote: »
    All other things being equal, they'll sack the guy who they don't have a strong personal relationship with over those they do.

But all things are never equal.

It's rarely ever the case that a company says, 'Well, we have a successful business and 50 employees, but we really only can afford 49. Let's fire the guy with the least amount of persona relationships....'

Either someone is under-performing and will be let go, regardless....or, more likely, the company as a whole is under-performing or making a strategic realignment or whatever and entire teams/offices all get let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Really don't want to go but your always told it 'looks bad' if you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I've never gone to a work do. Ever.

Can't wait for it (well them as there are always few parties). I'm good friends with lots of people I work with so they are always great craic and serious sessions and nobody is expected in the next day even though it's usually a working day. Free food and a few free drinks too.

I've always liked work do's no matter where I've worked never understood people's dislike for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well la di da mr we get a christmas party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Specialun wrote: »
    Not going to bother with mine

The biatches be all over me and they would jst look desperate...doing them afavour

You da man..

*fist bump*

Playa...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I usually compromise..

I'll go for a few hours and the dinner etc to put in an appearance, but I'll bring the car so I can drive home afterwards and thus won't be drinking either.

Experience many years ago has taught me it's best not to get drunk at those things :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Can't wait for it (well them as there are always few parties). I'm good friends with lots of people I work with so they are always great craic and serious sessions and nobody is expected in the next day even though it's usually a working day. Free food and a few free drinks too.

I've always liked work do's no matter where I've worked never understood people's dislike for them.

Do you not get sick of seeing the people you work with everyday and the especially bad everyone wanting to talk small talk with you at work dos....just annoying esp since it's on your. Oown time...like youl not be getting paid for it??

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Do you not get sick of seeing the people you work with everyday and the especially bad everyone wanting to talk small talk with you at work dos....just annoying esp since it's on your. Oown time...like youl not be getting paid for it??

Some things in life just have to be done. If you don't like your work colleagues work-dos are one of those things. Grin and bear it and try to enjoy yourself, at worst people will appreciate that you're making the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Some things in life just have to be done. If you don't like your work colleagues work-dos are one of those things. Grin and bear it and try to enjoy yourself, at worst people will appreciate that you're making the effort.

I actually get along right well with work colleagues..touch wood...there sound outlike...but come half five I dont to hear sight nor sound of them until the next day....like I wouldn't give any of them my work number/be friends on Facebook etc with them....i would be pretty sure they prob feel the same like!!

Like I left a job before after working for three years day in day out with people and getting on well with them...and never spoke another word to most of them again...I've no reason to like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I regularly go out getting drunk with people from work so a christmas party is a great opportunity for all of us to get drunk! I always have a good night for the christmas party.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I regularly go out getting drunk with people from work so a christmas party is a great opportunity for all of us to get drunk! I always have a good night for the christmas party.

this....

ours generally are one of the best nights of the year! i guess its about the people who are there, more than the event itself.

we had one a few years back that didnt finish until 9am the following morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'll be going, but i've questioned why thanks to this thread, as I am nervous about it. I think everything comes down to me wanting people to like me and think i'm a nice person. To boost relations between us all I suppose, but really it comes down to wanting people to see that i'm a nice person, and not as much of a bitch that they probably all thinnk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I'm self employed these days, I haven't thrown myself a Christmas party yet.
    Maybe this year I'll head into town, get pissed, and feel myself up on the way home.

• Advertisement

No not at all, aside from my friends at home who I grew up with its some of the people I work with who have ended up being my main group of friends, so I look on them as friends I work with rather than work colleagues and would be out on the beer with them or doing things with them, visitng their houses etc regularly. There are lots of other sound people then who I only get a chance to have a proper chat with at work nights (which are admittedly very regular, probably something on at least once a month) and I enjoy that aspect also and the vast majority of people including bosses couldn't give a damn how drunk people get etc.

Of course there are people you don't want to get stuck talking too but they are easy enough avoid.

Advertisement