Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange tap water!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Ha, good luck with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Contact Irish Water?? You'll have more luck contacting Buffalo Bill Cody. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I had a feeling it wouldn't be that straightforward!

sending them an email to ask what the procedure is for having it investigated. They have nothing helpful on their website. It's all about the billing aspect :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

Ring your county council, they still do the testing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Irish Water will probably charge you for the lead.

abutler101 wrote: »
    Ring your county council, they still do the testing.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Saw it on duncy stewerts eco warrior programme few yr ago. There's a place that does it, can't remember where as I said it was few yr ago. Check out the EPA's website or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Most people are unhappy with the taste and smell of their tap water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

kneemos wrote: »

How did you come to that conclusion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

That's not true !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Dublin city water tastes fairly nasty. But if you buy a filter it tastes fine. I think its because the water is soft and so heavily treated with chlorine,when UV is used more abroad.

Im surprised no one has mentioned that the taste is floride

Well, mine was great up until about a year or so ago and it is truly unpalatable at this stage. If it is flouride then they must have increased the amount they put into it..?

And the smell vaguely reminds me of the smell of chlorine in swimming pools.

KK4SAM wrote: »
    That's not true !
    'Tis around here, and a boil notice to prove it!

Well, mine was great up until about a year or so ago and it is truly unpalatable at this stage. If it is flouride then they must have increased the amount they put into it..?

And the smell vaguely reminds me of the smell of chlorine in swimming pools.
    That's because it is chlorine, don't know about the fluoride though.

KK4SAM wrote: »
    That's not true !

Beg to differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

This story about excessive levels of Lead in a water supply, got me thinking. I've been unhappy with the taste and smell of my tap water for a while but I don't know how to have it tested. Has anyone had similar issues with theirs? Does anyone know if Irish Water can be contacted in relation to checking the water quality and safety?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/high-lead-levels-drinking-water-forces-irish-water-220231908.html#LJBaQTi

Your County Council is nearly obliged to test a sample on your behalf but I think there are a few labs who will test yours for your for a nominal fee.

Be warned: you may struggle to drink tap water again...(had our done by CC 2 years ago)

As far as I know, lead is seldom used in distribution pipes and hasn't been used in domestic pipes since the 1950s or earlier, so I would imagine that lead is the least of your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

As far as I know, lead is seldom used in distribution pipes and hasn't been used in domestic pipes since the 1950s or earlier, so I would imagine that lead is the least of your worries.

Lead has been used in Tralee, Kerry recently.

http://www.thejournal.ie/lead-levels-drinking-water-st-brendans-park-1766116-Nov2014/?utm_source=facebook_short

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Bad taste is usually chlorine.
    They often seem to add more when they're working on pipes to minimise risk of contamination with soil bacteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

What is water?

Is it H2O?

Is it a saline solution?

Is it a Flu ride?

Or is it Heavens Gift
    to those who live in
    Ireland?

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Bad taste is usually chlorine.
    They often seem to add more when they're working on pipes to minimise risk of contamination with soil bacteria.

The water supply was interrupted a few times this year and the taste deteriorated after each interruption, so that fits.

Chlorine must be excessive if it's so strongly detected through taste and smell, I feel?

I'm not exaggerating- it's disgusting. You can still taste it in a cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭greasepalm

interesting as i thought i could smell chlorine in the water a few weeks ago,maybe i did cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Dublin city labs where they test the water are down beside the pidgeon house in ringsend,look em up and give em a call not sure if they do public requests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There are lots of companies who check domestic water quality for those with wells.
    http://www.iaslabs.ie/environmental-testing/drinking-water.html. This is just one. You can google for more options. It is not expensive.

Where did you come by that statistic? Our water has been excellent for the past 20 years or so. We don't buy any bottled water anymore as the tap water is perfect. Likewise in many locations I know around the country.
    You might want to change "most" to "some".

Where did you come by that statistic? Our water has been excellent for the past 20 years or so. We don't buy any bottled water anymore as the tap water is perfect. Likewise in many locations I know around the country.
    You might want to change "most" to "some".

It's anecdotal of course,but I'll stick with most.

It's anecdotal of course,but I'll stick with most.

So, incorrect in other words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

There's still lead pipes used in Meath.

We have our own well. There's a lot of iron in the water, so much so that if you wash a white shirt, it will come out a bit orangey looking. We got it tested once, they said that the heavy metal content was 20 times the safe amount and that it was not fit for human consumption!!!

Still drinking it 20 years on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

hfallada wrote: »
    Dublin city water tastes fairly nasty. But if you buy a filter it tastes fine. I think its because the water is soft and so heavily treated with chlorine,when UV is used more abroad.

Im surprised no one has mentioned that the taste is floride

UV cannot be used without chlorine.

Compounds of Fluoride are added at levels too small for the human palate to detect.

Advertisement