Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female pacers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

dna_leri wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about the "at every level" bit - maybe you can share your data?
    My perception is that at the critical junior & U23 levels there are fewer women than men taking part in events and therefore assume that there are fewer female AI members at that age.

At that age there is a high drop-out of athletes in both genders. Those that stay go on to become "good club athletes" or better. Pacers would usually be from that pool of "good club athletes" (as well as a few later starters) and if the pool is smaller for women then you will get fewer volunteers.

Actually you're right - I looked again at the figures I have from last year (these are rough figures, and will include non-competing coaches etc)

..............Female........Male
    Juvenile....15540.......13951
    Junior.......243.............290
    Senior......3098..........2395
    Masters....7494..........6531

The junior group is the only one where male athletes outnumber females.

I don't know if that explains the pacer gap, particularly in the slower bands, but it is important to note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

rom wrote: »
    Why are there so little?

serious question.

I struggle to see how it a serious question? Gender has nothing to do with pacing (at >3hr level).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I struggle to see how it a serious question? Gender has nothing to do with pacing (at >3hr level).

Agree but any female capable of pacing 3:20 and under for DCM would be forgoing Time Bonus and Prize Money in the Race. In smaller Races like Limerick/Derry possibly the overall win.

Advertisement