Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken tikka from a deli?

Options
  • 05-11-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello,

I recently read a boards thread on the awfulness of chicken rolls so I've switched to a wrap with chicken tikka from a spar deli, is this (un) healthy? I just have the chicken tikka and peppers in the wrap.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If its chicken in spicy mayo, its probably not the best thing to have. Youd be better off getting a tray of salad with plain chicken, boiled eggs and no dressing at all.

Edit: moving this to nutrition & diet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nutritionally, it's not hugely different to the roll.

There are better options and there are worse options.

But it's your diet as a whole that you should look at rather than one element of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

bread is bread, if its flat, round square or oblong its the same thing. so a roll and a wrap are just different shaped bread.

Tikka, as I would think of it is chicken coated in a spice paste.
    if the deli's version of tikka is chicken in some kind of sauce, or coated in breadcrumbs then that is going to be extra calories and not particularly great for you.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFgsBr2JcWHNJ9qU6ckJHw2dLCMvO83g0aOmTtVBIWLyPs0GXLPg

Thats chicken tikka, its just spiced meat, and pretty low calorie. Im pretty sure they dont do that in delis they make a sauce for it, if so then its extra calories.

I would go with the suggestion of a salad bowl with the spiced meat in it, rather than the bread and sauce option.

but as alf said, noone got fat from eating one chicken tikka roll and noone got thin from skipping one meal. look at your whole diet and see if there is room for improvement.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Any chicken tikka Ive seen in a deli is covered in tikka mayo, which is roughly 500kcal per 100g - just for the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

yeah, i was guessing as much. chicken tkka is actually pretty low cal.

chicken tikka massala or tikka in mayo is going to be a lot of cals extra.

chicken tikka where im from is without sauce. hence my need to clarify.

• Advertisement
Advertisement