Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nerds are cool now

Options
  • 05-11-2014 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭

Some of the types I see around Ballsbridge for the Web Summit are quite trendy and stylish.

When did IT nerds become cool?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Scannal

Remember when people used to say a young person was weird for spending hours on their computer alone in their bedroom? Now they're weird if they don't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

porsche959 wrote: »
    Some of the types I see around Ballsbridge for the Web Summit are quite trendy and stylish.

We always were, you lot have just started to realise how cool we are.

Now geeks on the other hand are not cool, they are wannabe nerds.

for those of you who don't know, a nerd is someone who actually creates software and products. A geek is just a fanboy user who can only barely use the product better than a non geek.

Nerds Rule!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

When they started earning a ****ing fortune off the back of it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Scannal wrote: »
    Remember when people used to say a young person was weird for spending hours on their computer alone in their bedroom? Now they're weird if they don't do that.

I used to be with it...

Also...

Scannal wrote: »

The Coderdojo is the death of society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Larbre34 wrote: »

The what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

In school we were always told to be nice to nerds

Theyll be your boss someday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nerds were always cool, they just knew they were before everyone else did. Hence why they're so cool.

Of course, soon they won't be cool, they'll be The Man and Jocks will be cool again.

I'm getting ahead of the curve by wearing a letter jacket wherever I go and talking about that girl Carly, the arty loner that won't put out and the bet I have with the guys that I can turn her into a prom queen before the end of term. Also I'm drink-driving a lot more and beating up that douchebag Jeffrey whenever I can. Dude's a complete spaz brah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Scannal

Who's he?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

BeerWolf wrote: »
    The what?

Codordojo. A simple choice between tasty fish, or joining a martial arts training academy.

Either way, there's battering involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

endacl wrote: »
    Codordojo. A simple choice between tasty fish, or joining a martial arts training academy.

Either way, there's battering involved.

Get out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Pardon Me?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Collie D wrote: »
    Get out

Careful now. You need to ask yourself 'did endacl choose the fish, or the lethal ninja skillz?'...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

When I became one :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nerds have been cool since that Robert Carradine movie thirty odd years ago.

I rooted for the nerds in that Beastie Boys video too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

They're rich nerds too. Anyone who can afford to pay 1500 euro for a ticket to that summit can afford to look good.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When they started making more money than the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I could literally hear the premature ejaculations during the news coverage when a real girl Eva Longoria arrived into the summit to talk yesterday. Room was full of "huhuhuhuh" laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I could literally hear the premature ejaculations during the news coverage when a real girl Eva Longoria arrived into the summit to talk yesterday. Room was full of "huhuhuhuh" laughs.

Web Summit... Talk by Eva Longoria... Was she there to entertain wags? Because I can't possibly think of any reason why she'd be talking about anything that could have had any relevance to the conference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

smash wrote: »
    Web Summit... Talk by Eva Longoria... Was she there to entertain wags? Because I can't possibly think of any reason why she'd be talking about anything that could have had any relevance to the conference?

To give a distraction while they fixed the Wifi there... [First day of the Web summit, and there was no internet there would you believe? lol]

smash wrote: »

Not so, she is the most relevant thing to the conference, and I'm not talking about fluff factor. She is a serious I.N.V.E.S.T.O.R.

BeerWolf wrote: »
    To give a distraction while they fixed the Wifi there... [First day of the Web summit, and there was no internet there would you believe? lol]
    I know yea, heard all about it. What a disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix

She is a serious I.N.V.E.S.T.O.R.

Unless you're willing to explain that as some weird acronym to do with Eva Longoria then I'm not sure why you've separated all the letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix

try smokey bacon crisps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Chris Dawes was a British IT entrepreneur & pioneer of the 1980s and 1990s.

http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/1999/mar/23/features11.g24

Drugs, sports cars, practically buying a small island & trying to build a cult around yourself, and general debauchery. Maybe IT nerds being cool is not such a new thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

How many software engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?

0 - it's a hardware issue :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Most people at the web summit aren't even nerds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Advertisement