Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which programming language will pay the highest rates?

Options
  • 04-11-2014 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi
    I've been working as a web developer for the last 7 years. For the last 3, I've been doing mainly front-end development, so Javascript (mainly Backbone.js, Require.js and Underscore.js), CSS (mainly SASS) and HTML5.

I'm currently on a rate of 450 euro per day. However, I feel like I have reached a ceiling when it come to Javascript contract rates though. I have a friend who's working as a DBA and is on 545 per day, though I would find writing SQL day in day out pretty boring.

I'm thinking of changing to another language - basically the one the pays the highest daily contract rates. What in you opinion is the language/area which will pay the most over the next few years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Zander1983 wrote: »
    Hi
    I've been working as a web developer for the last 7 years. For the last 3, I've been doing mainly front-end development, so Javascript (mainly Backbone.js, Require.js and Underscore.js), CSS (mainly SASS) and HTML5.

I'm currently on a rate of 450 euro per day. However, I feel like I have reached a ceiling when it come to Javascript contract rates though. I have a friend who's working as a DBA and is on 545 per day, though I would find writing SQL day in day out pretty boring.

I'm thinking of changing to another language - basically the one the pays the highest daily contract rates. What in you opinion is the language/area which will pay the most over the next few years?

You lucky, lucky baxtard :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

It's probably fair to say that there is more to being a senior DBA than writing SQL every day, and I would personally doubt that a move to another language will net you more than you are getting. *Maybe* it could be argued that more established server-side languages might offer greater opportunity in the financial software field, which can be pretty high paid if you have the right experience.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It usually turns out to be the one that is flavour of the day and where demand surpasses supply :D Nobody can tell you how that will pan out....

I'd say if you want real cash, then go the opposite way, go for languages that are legacy: Cobol, Pascal, Visual Basic etc. - stuff other people do not want to do. I know several old boys that pull in double the figures you are mentioning and then some, writing Cobol on mainframes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Funnily enough Cobol was the first thing that popped into my head when I read this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It usually turns out to be the one that is flavour of the day and where demand surpasses supply :D Nobody can tell you how that will pan out....

I'd say if you want real cash, then go the opposite way, go for languages that are legacy: Cobol, Pascal, Visual Basic etc. - stuff other people do not want to do. I know several old boys that pull in double the figures you are mentioning and then some, writing Cobol on mainframes!

My Aunt has just retired and was looking for some part-time work, turns out she was a Cobol programmer for years but spent the last ten years or so out of the industry. She doesn't believe me that theres much better money to be made freelancing in Cobol than taking up some part-time book-keeping or admin work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Are there not plenty of COBOL programmers around of a certain age and with applications moving of the mainframe is there really a big demand for it as it's not a specifically hard language to learn .

doc11 wrote: »
    Are there not plenty of COBOL programmers around of a certain age and with applications moving of the mainframe is there really a big demand for it as it's not a specifically hard language to learn .

Well it depends on the industry, but most of the apps that remain on mainframes are there because they need to be there. The are usually mission critical and companies are very willing to cough of for good people to work on them, at least here in Switzerland.

Cobol is not a difficult language to learn that is true, but trying to work a program written and maintained by a 'real' Cobol programmer over say a 20 year period is another thing altogether! First of all it is a case of little or not documentation, no data dictionary and sometimes even a case of missing source code... and then there is the programs themselves - because of size limitations, two things have happened over time: all the comments and hints have been removed and the variable names have been reduced to single letters , as programmers tried to squeeze in more code...

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Hi

Where are you located?

As was said above. Either bleeding edge (difficult) or trailing edge. Stuck in the middle is probably not great.

If you want money, I'd say location is every bit as important as skillset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I didnt know there were much jobs in Cobol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

zig wrote: »
    I didnt know there were much jobs in Cobol?

There is still a whole heap of mission critical software that is written in cobol. why has it not being replaced? because it works. and rewriting it would be very expensive. the people with the skills to maintain are on their way, or are already, retired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

I would guess languages like cobol for business critical purposes or mission critical applications that need development or maintainence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Hi

Your question is founded on false premises, basically, if you buy the following way of thinking about things - which I kind of do:
    http://www.kalzumeus.com/2011/10/28/dont-call-yourself-a-programmer/

Here is an excerpt which you can read first if you aren't sure whether to click through:
    I recently asked via Twitter what young engineers wanted to know about careers. Many asked how to know what programming language or stack to study. It doesn’t matter. There you go.

Do Java programmers make more money than .NET programmers? Anyone describing themselves as either a Java programmer or .NET programmer has already lost, because a) they’re a programmer (you’re not, see above) and b) they’re making themselves non-hireable for most programming jobs. In the real world, picking up a new language takes a few weeks of effort and after 6 to 12 months nobody will ever notice you haven’t been doing that one for your entire career. I did back-end Big Freaking Java Web Application development as recently as March 2010. Trust me, nobody cares about that. If a Python shop was looking for somebody technical to make them a pile of money, the fact that I’ve never written a line of Python would not get held against me.

fergalr wrote: »
    Your question is founded on false premises, basically, if you buy the following way of thinking about things - which I kind of do:
    http://www.kalzumeus.com/2011/10/28/dont-call-yourself-a-programmer/

Here is an excerpt which you can read first if you aren't sure whether to click through:

That all sounds fine in theory....but how many employers advertising a java role will even look at an applicant who hasn't got 4/5 years in java. Indeed it makes no sense as and good dev will pick up java in no time but that is not the way the world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

I would say that in Ireland for a web developer you are getting near the top end. I would think that becoming a DBA would be harder than switching to Rails or something like that.

When you talk in per day terms I would assume you are a contractor? That brings it's own baggage. No sick pay, no career development etc. I worked for 5 years as a contract programmer using 4-5 different languages and found I wasn't progressing. That is fine as long as you want to be a programmer at 60. I thought I did but realised I didn't.

Some ideas if you want to increase earning power:

* As someone mentioned would you be open to gaining domain experience i.e. you could become a financial application developer so firms might pay a premium for that knowledge.

* Would you consider moving up the org chart i.e. Manager/CTO. This will open new avenues for your career.

Ludo wrote: »
    That all sounds fine in theory....but how many employers advertising a java role will even look at an applicant who hasn't got 4/5 years in java. Indeed it makes no sense as and good dev will pick up java in no time but that is not the way the world works.

I bet you didn't read the article I linked?

Maybe you did - but its all about solving business needs rather than just being 'just a programmer' - its worth a read if you haven't.
    I think this stuff works in practice, not just theory.

I bet you didn't read the article I linked?

Maybe you did - but its all about solving business needs rather than just being 'just a programmer' - its worth a read if you haven't.
    I think this stuff works in practice, not just theory.

I read the excerpt. The article was way tldr. And while I agree with the sentiment, experience shows that employers in general want someone who is a Java dev or a .net dev etc etc. So I simply disagree that it works in reality as you may not even get as far as a face to face. If you get that far then is fine but most of the time your CV will end up in the bin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Jesus Christ! I gotta get a job in programming! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Jesus Christ! I gotta get a job in programming! :pac:

I can assure you that most in the sector are not earning €450 per day. OP is a short term contract worker, I suspect, so the pay is higher than those in permanent employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Berserker wrote: »
    I can assure you that most in the sector are not earning €450 per day. OP is a short term contract worker, I suspect, so the pay is higher than those in permanent employment.

And I'm reasonably sure most contractors aren't earning that either, especially outside of Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I suspect you'll find that contract rates are as much, if not more, determined by the industry as the language you're coding in. So if it's money you're after, then specializing in financial services software development will profit you as much as learning any specific language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Zander1983

I suspect you'll find that contract rates are as much, if not more, determined by the industry as the language you're coding in. So if it's money you're after, then specializing in financial services software development will profit you as much as learning any specific language.

That's roughly true. It's also true the biggest payday is with big enterprise languages, such as C#.NET, which most large multinationals are using, particularly in the financial sector.

I don't agree with the above poster that it doesnt matter what language you're currently into.
    Im working for a large US multinational and they wouldn't dream of hiring, say, a C# developer for a UI Developer role - it would simply take too long to get up to speed with whatever javascript libraries the role entails.

I don't agree with the above poster that it doesnt matter what language you're currently into.
    Im working for a large US multinational and they wouldn't dream of hiring, say, a C# developer for a UI Developer role - it would simply take too long to get up to speed with whatever javascript libraries the role entails.

In the space of programming languages, C# and Javascript are pretty similar. Its probably going to take a new hire longer to learn how the company specific systems work, than how JS and the JS framework du jour work.

Anyway, the JS libraries being used will change in a few years - so its not like you can avoid the time it takes developers to learn new libraries. (I guess you could fire the existing developers and hire replacements that know the new library, and none of the company's existing systems - if you were some sort of dilbert type boss!)

It's much more important to select for wide engineering skill, programming talent etc than it is to select for knowledge of a particular set of libraries, and that's what a good hiring process will do.

You might not hire a systems engineer for a UI developer role - but that's not because they are familiar with different languages: its because there are different wider skillsets at play too. (Knowledge of UX etc)

In the space of programming languages, C# and Javascript are pretty similar. Its probably going to take a new hire longer to learn how the company specific systems work, than how JS and the JS framework du jour work.

Anyway, the JS libraries being used will change in a few years - so its not like you can avoid the time it takes developers to learn new libraries. (I guess you could fire the existing developers and hire replacements that know the new library, and none of the company's existing systems - if you were some sort of dilbert type boss!)

It's much more important to select for wide engineering skill, programming talent etc than it is to select for knowledge of a particular set of libraries, and that's what a good hiring process will do.

You might not hire a systems engineer for a UI developer role - but that's not because they are familiar with different languages: its because there are different wider skillsets at play too. (Knowledge of UX etc)

This doesn't tend to apply to contract roles though. Most contract roles I've done have been very specific and rarely run beyond 6 months (maybe 1 or 2 3 month roling contracts after initial 6 month period). I dont want to go perm, the rates just dont compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

So you're getting roughly €60,000 for a six-month contract, OP? That's plenty to live on, buy a nice house, put some aside for the future. Calm down.

So you're getting roughly €60,000 for a six-month contract, OP? That's plenty to live on, buy a nice house, put some aside for the future. Calm down.

Do I not seem calm? Well dont forget, middle to high income earners in Ireland pay extraordinary levels of tax, the most in Europe bar Denmark I believe (Germany's 41% income tax kicks in at quarter of a million - in Ireland its at 32k). See this article http://www.ibec.ie/IBEC/Press/PressPublicationsdoclib3.nsf/vPages/Newsroom~new-ibec-report-debunking-income-tax-myths-28-09-2014?OpenDocument?OpenDocument#.VGcWBfl_v-s

I may be on good money, but 50% is gone on the most punitive taxes in europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Do I not seem calm? Well dont forget, middle to high income earners in Ireland pay extraordinary levels of tax, the most in Europe bar Denmark I believe (Germany's 41% income tax kicks in at quarter of a million - in Ireland its at 32k). See this article http://www.ibec.ie/IBEC/Press/PressPublicationsdoclib3.nsf/vPages/Newsroom~new-ibec-report-debunking-income-tax-myths-28-09-2014?OpenDocument?OpenDocument#.VGcWBfl_v-s

Perhaps you should emigrate to Germany?

Perhaps you should emigrate to Germany?

You're adding a lot to this discussion aren't you. The question is: what programming language will pay the big bucks over the next few years? We've already established one answer is Cobol (and I agree with that suggestion). Move along if you cant address the question.

It is hard to do any reasonable comparisons this way! For me, effective tax rates give a better picture and so from figures published by KPMG the effective rates on an a salary of $100K are

Germany 28.3%
    Denmark 41.2%
    Ireland 32%

However you also have to look as social security charges:

Germany 15.5%
    Denmark 0.2%
    Ireland 4.0%

So total deductions look more like this:

Germany 43.5%
    Denmark 41.4%
    Ireland 36%

As the saying goes, you can prove anything with stats!

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It is hard to do any reasonable comparisons this way! For me, effective tax rates give a better picture and so from figures published by KPMG the effective rates on an a salary of $100K are

Germany 28.3%
    Denmark 41.2%
    Ireland 32%

However you also have to look as social security charges:

Germany 15.5%
    Denmark 0.2%
    Ireland 4.0%

So total deductions look more like this:

Germany 43.5%
    Denmark 41.4%
    Ireland 36%

As the saying goes, you can prove anything with stats!

Those calculations directly deny to conclusion of the IBEC report above. Ok, lets look at it. Lets take 100k which is €79,854.

In Ireland, if you earn that, you would take home €49,199.12 so you are paying a tax percentage of 38.3%.

In Germany, you would take home €53,163.56 ao you are paying a tax percentage of 33.42%.

While we're at it, if you earned that much in the UK (about £63817.97), you would take home €55251.59, so you are paying a tax percentage of 30.8%

We could go through each European country (apart from Denmark), the results look the same. The IBEC report above contains all details. I find it absolutely amazing Ireland is described as a law tax country. It is - for anyone earning below 30k.

But anyway, this is off-topic....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I find it absolutely amazing Ireland is described as a law tax country. It is - for anyone earning below 30k.

Middle and upper earners, which covers pretty much every developer in the country, doesn't have a political voice. We are "rich" and "right wing". If you are young, mainframes seems to be a good area to get into. The average age of the teams I have come across is very high. Could be a real gold mine in decades to come; supply and demand.

Advertisement