Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water - where do you stand?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 vintary

If I can quote Ian Paisley "NEVER,,, NEVER,,,, NEVER"

Earlier this year maybe but not now, I coped on its all a big con

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

When I saw Brendan Ogle, the man who destroyed rail freight on Irish Rail, with the Right 2 Water campaign, and folks on my facebook feed sharing stuff from disso Republican groups, it goes to show what sort of people are waiting in the wings to gain political capital out of this.

Let's be careful what we wish for, unless we get an Ireland that deems everyone earning over €35,000 or owning any property, no matter how indebted it is, "The Rich"

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dave ireland

Honestly Banjoxed I do not give a monkeys right now about any politician.

An Garda should not be put in this position like this, and the citizens should not be put in this position either.

Someone is going to get killed either by anger, defence or accident.

To the powers that be, can you please stop addressing the symptoms and address the cause, you must stop this now, it can not work and it will not now work in any shape or form.

Can you please shut it down now totally altogether. come back to in the future.

And please don't mention how much you have spent on it so far it only angers people, neither the citizens or the Garda gave you the ok to hand over property tax money, you decided that yourselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Banjoxed wrote: »
    it goes to show what sort of people are waiting in the wings to gain political capital out of this.
    This would be anybody who isn't a big fan of Merkel/banker ass kissers FF and FG I'd imagine.
    A sizeable section of the Irish public going by the latest opinion polls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Honestly Banjoxed I do not give a monkeys right now about any politician.

An Garda should not be put in this position like this, and the citizens should not be put in this position either.

Someone is going to get killed either by anger, defence or accident.

Jesus. That's where I stopped reading. I don't support Irish Water but holy crap..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,865 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Some of the so called protesting is just a bunch of thugs with mob activity on their mind. I am flummoxed at the criticism the Gardai are receiving. They are doing their job. Upholding the law. If they did nothing this situation would result in anarchy.

walshb wrote: »
    Some of the so called protesting is just a bunch of thugs with mob activity on their mind. I am flummoxed at the criticism the Gardai are receiving. They are doing their job. Upholding the law. If they did nothing this situation would result in anarchy.

The Garda are receiving no criticism from me, I will say it again, some one will get hurt or killed. I have been around long enough to know when something has failed and this water thing has most definitely failed and there is no point in putting Garda or people in any situation the may lead to confrontation or accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,865 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Garda are receiving no criticism from me, I will say it again, some one will get hurt or killed. I have been around long enough to know when something has failed and this water thing has most definitely failed and there is no point in putting Garda or people in any situation the may lead to confrontation or accidents.

Absolutely. The latest FB video doing the rds showed a mob that I am certain would have attacked Kenny and possibly killed the man had the Gardai not been there. It's sickening to think that we have people in our society capable of this.

Most of the videos I am seeing is of the aggressive and threatening variety. Deliberate provoking and jostling. Then the Gardai are getting slated for using reasonable force, which any force would have to use. The Gardai aren't to know who in a mob is a potential menace. They are on extreme high alert and under a lot of physical and mental pressure.

I have no issue with protesting, but some of these protests are just acts of thuggery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Seriously, anyone like that doesn't need to go out protesting and to my mind anyone like that wouldn't be arsed protesting and would hardly be politically active.

I more keep an eye on the legal government driven suicides and manslaughter via hospital waiting list and trolley, but let's not sully the conversation with that.

Absolutely. The latest FB video doing the rds showed a mob that I am certain would have attacked Kenny and possibly killed the man had the Gardai not been there. It's sickening to think that we have people in our society capable of this.

Most of the videos I am seeing is of the aggressive and threatening variety. Deliberate provoking and jostling. Then the Gardai are getting slated for using reasonable force, which any force would have to use. The Gardai aren't to know who in a mob is a potential menace. They are on extreme high alert and under a lot of physical and mental pressure.

I have no issue with protesting, but some of these protests are just acts of thuggery!

Yes,, we are intelligent,, videos with a mobile phone camera up to a Garda,s face clearly shown aggression, even with the commentary saying ""Ahh Jayes Guard there is no need to be so rough"" are very easily seen through.

The water charge is gone it can not now work, put an end to what has people so angry over (the cause) and let us return to normal and sort it out in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Yes,, we are intelligent,, videos with a mobile phone camera up to a Garda,s face clearly shown aggression, even with the commentary saying ""Ahh Jayes Guard there is no need to be so rough"" are very easily seen through.

The water charge is gone it can not now work, put an end to what has people so angry over (the cause) and let us return to normal and sort it out in 2016.

Why not do it now, it's already done for the most part. IW set up, IW packages being sent out, meters being installed, etc. You'll have the same protests in 2016 when it comes up again and you'll have someone else saying to leave it till 2018.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Why not do it now, it's already done for the most part. IW set up, IW packages being sent out, meters being installed, etc. You'll have the same protests in 2016 when it comes up again and you'll have someone else saying to leave it till 2018.

No we will not, I speak for myself and I will never accept IW and I will not now believe anything that this government says. I will not accept guarantees, promises or anything from them. I will pay water charges when its in the interest of people and water supply and not in the interest of a bunch of con men,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Fiskar wrote: »
    If as the minister indicated at the weekend on radio that studies show 40% of household drinking quality water is used for flushing toilets and that also equates to the 40% of water lost through leaking pipes, then why is there not an incentive scheme in place to harvest rainwater for flushing systems.

Simple answer, because it was never about conservation! It was all and is all about the deal the government is content in honouring to EU and IMF!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

creedp wrote: »
    Of course its a flat rate -whether I drive 1km or 100,000km in the year I pay the same rate .. how is that not a flat rate?? On the other hand of course I also pay CO2 taxes on my fuel which is based on consumption, i.e. that is the pay per use tax linked to CO2 not the motor tax which of couse, just like the IW charges, uses the excuse of saving the planet for justifying extracting even more taxes from the general public.

Change your car for a larger/smaller engined car, and see how flat motor tax is.

No we will not, I speak for myself and I will never accept IW and I will not now believe anything that this government says. I will not accept guarantees, promises or anything from them. I will pay water charges when its in the interest of people and water supply and not in the interest of a bunch of con men,,,,

And yet you're suggesting that the issue is "postponed to 2016"? Seems more than a bit disingenuous.

alastair wrote: »
    And yet you're suggesting that the issue is "postponed to 2016"? Seems more than a bit disingenuous.

The present government must accept that this water thing can not work, there is too much going on with it. To keep hacking at it is not doing them any good and is making a lot of people very angry.

With this been stopped now this government will loose no more support and Sinn Fein will gain no more support. The people will return to normal, what damage has been done is done.

There is a huge amount of people against this water thing with only a fue radicals.

All governments have a duty to the public and by allowing this to carry on is putting the public in danger. It is driving an un necessary gap between Garda & public and government & public.

They cannot ram this down the throat of Joe public, they may get it down our neck but it will come back up ugly and hated

Garda & government are now talking tactics and more support, this deals with the symptoms of the problem. the problem is the water charge, address the problem not the symptoms.

Someone is going to get hurt or killed , this is gunpowder with sparks every ware they must shut it down.

The present government must accept that this water thing can not work, there is too much going on with it. To keep hacking at it is not doing them any good and is making a lot of people very angry.

With this been stopped now this government will loose no more support and Sinn Fein will gain no more support. The people will return to normal, what damage has been done is done.

There is a huge amount of people against this water thing with only a fue radicals.

All governments have a duty to the public and by allowing this to carry on is putting the public in danger. It is driving an un necessary gap between Garda & public and government & public.

They cannot ram this down the throat of Joe public, they may get it down our neck but it will come back up ugly and hated

Garda & government are now talking tactics and more support, this deals with the symptoms of the problem. the problem is the water charge, address the problem not the symptoms.

Someone is going to get hurt or killed , this is gunpowder with sparks every ware they must shut it down.

The government have a duty to govern, and an electoral mandate to introduce water charges. There's clearly a minority of the public who don't like the prospect of water charges, but governments don't have any obligation to govern on the basis of the opinions of a minority. They are quite clear that water charges will be introduced in January, and threats or dire warnings aren't going to change that reality. If there's consequences come the next general election, they've determined it's worth undertaking regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

The government have a duty to govern, and an electoral mandate to introduce water charges. There's clearly a minority of the public who don't like the prospect of water charges, but governments don't have any obligation to govern on the basis of the opinions of a minority. They are quite clear that water charges will be introduced in January, and threats or dire warnings aren't going to change that reality. If there's consequences come the next general election, they've determined it's worth undertaking regardless.

You keep repeating this bullsh*t - Fine Gael did not get a majority - the LP campaigned specifically on opposing FGs proposal for water charges and used water charges as the big stick to win 33 seats.

The government has absolutely no mandate to impose water charges.

Furthermore - this is absolutely irrelevant - the recent elections in May's Euros and Locals and the recent by-elections demonstrate that the current government have - at best - the support of 25% of the electorate, with that number falling all the time.

It is a fallacy to suggest that political parties can promise to do X, Y and Z at election time - then do a deal with other parties to get the mercs and perks that is a mash-up of the worst elements of both - and then expect that, when it has been shown that they lied through their teeth they get a five year free run to wreck the living standards of 90% of the population.

Now - get off the bloody hobby-horse and realise that working class people have paid all they are going to pay for the gambling debts of the spivs and speculators that lined the pockets of FF and FG and are now showing the government that unless they back off, a mass movement of the working class will kick the living be-jaysus out of them over the next 12 months.

You keep repeating this bullsh*t - Fine Gael did not get a majority - the LP campaigned specifically on opposing FGs proposal for water charges and used water charges as the big stick to win 33 seats.

Who is the lead coalition party?
    YThe government has absolutely no mandate to impose water charges.
    Other than the one granted to them by the electorate - who voted them into a position to form a government. I didn't vote for them - but I acknowledge that they have an electoral mandate to govern, being something of a fan of the democratic process.
    YFurthermore - this is absolutely irrelevant - the recent elections in May's Euros and Locals and the recent by-elections demonstrate that the current government have - at best - the support of 25% of the electorate, with that number falling all the time.
    How many seats do the government have? Until that majority is lost, then by-election results don't really factor into their mandate. Local elections have nothing to do with the government's mandate.
    YIt is a fallacy to suggest that political parties can promise to do X, Y and Z at election time - then do a deal with other parties to get the mercs and perks that is a mash-up of the worst elements of both - and then expect that, when it has been shown that they lied through their teeth they get a five year free run to wreck the living standards of 90% of the population.
    A fallacy eh? If 90% of people's living standards have been wrecked in the last five years, how do you explain the growth in spending of late? A 10% of the population living the high life?
    YNow - get off the bloody hobby-horse and realise that working class people have paid all they are going to pay for the gambling debts of the spivs and speculators that lined the pockets of FF and FG and are now showing the government that unless they back off, a mass movement of the working class will kick the living be-jaysus out of them over the next 12 months.
    Back to the 'speculators' eh? Despite the fact that the entire bank bailout amounts to 3% of our tax expenditure, and most of that has nothing to do with bond holders, speculators, or, eh, 'spivs'. Meanwhile the remaining 97% of our outgoings have to do with much more pedestrian concerns - like health, welfare and everyday public services. Your 'mass movement' is, as ever, so much guff. No-one wants your Trot fantasy.

Who is the lead coalition party?
    Which has bugger-all to do with the issue.
    Other than the one granted to them by the electorate - who voted them into a position to form a government. I didn't vote for them - but I acknowledge that they have an electoral mandate to govern, being something of a fan of the democratic process.
    This is also a load of b*llocks - nobody sat down and worked out a system of using their vote to ensure FG and LP would end up in government - if the numbers hadn't panned out each of them would have hopped into bed with some other party to get the mercs and perks.

This government - and both parties - lied through their rear-end to get votes and then kicked them in the teeth.

Democracy is about doing what the majority want - FG and the LP are doing what the ECB/IMF/EU/Merkel/O'Brien want.
    How many seats do the government have? Until that majority is lost, then by-election results don't really factor into their mandate. Local elections have nothing to do with the government's mandate.
    Yes indeed - the wonder of capitalist democracy - get lied to by the chancers in order to write a few numbers on a piece of paper once every five years and then get screwed for five years while you wait for an opportunity to kick back. I'll pass thanks
    A fallacy eh? If 90% of people's living standards have been wrecked in the last five years, how do you explain the growth in spending of late? A 10% of the population living the high life?
    You bet - according to the CSO the bottom 90% of the population have seen their living standards fall year on year since the crash in 2008 - the richest 10% have been creaming €billions off the top during the same time. The richest 300 people in the country increased their wealth by €7billion in the past year (the size of the budget deficit)
    Back to the 'speculators' eh? Despite the fact that the entire bank bailout amounts to 3% of our tax expenditure, and most of that has nothing to do with bond holders, speculators, or, eh, 'spivs'. Meanwhile the remaining 97% of our outgoings have to do with much more pedestrian concerns - like health, welfare and everyday public services. Your 'mass movement' is, as ever, so much guff. No-one wants your Trot fantasy.
    The budget deficit this year is €7billion and this year the government will pay €8billion in interest to the IMF/ECB.

For the past 30 years the governments of the elites in this country have been handing €billions every year in tax breaks, tax avoidance schemes, tax amnesties, offshore accounts, tax exiles, double-Irish, bank bailouts etc.

Government current expenditure in 2013 is €51.5 billion of which €42.3 billion goes on health, welfare and education not the 97% you claim - right-wing hacks generally can't do sums either.

After all of this - working class people are on the move - the government we on the ropes. The days of the government bending people over and giving it to the 90% up the rear end are over. The only issue to be resolved is how big a kicking FG and LP are going to get and how much of an earthquake will impact on the current political system. The days of the two and a half parties divvying up the spoils of office are over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

User should pay. Same as with electricity or telephone service.

Pretty simple stuff really.

cabledude wrote: »

Typical b*ll**** - we are all 'consumers'

Well excuse me - when I get sick and end up in hospital I want to be treated as a patient - when my kids are in school I want them treated as students - when I have to flush the toilet I don't want to be lining the pocket of Denis O'Brien or some spiv running a hedge fund.

Yes indeed - the wonder of capitalist democracy - get lied to by the chancers in order to write a few numbers on a piece of paper once every five years and then get screwed for five years while you wait for an opportunity to kick back. I'll pass thanks
    Yes this is. A capitalist country - as is the preference of it's citizenry. And a democracy to boot.
    You bet - according to the CSO the bottom 90% of the population have seen their living standards fall year on year since the crash in 2008 -
    No doubt you can point to this CSO data? Because they don't measure Income and Living Conditions that way. Sounds made up to me.

the richest 10% have been creaming €billions off the top during the same time.
    Not really - see below.
    The richest 300 people in the country increased their wealth by €7billion in the past year (the size of the budget deficit)

The budget deficit this year is €7billion and this year the government will pay €8billion in interest to the IMF/ECB.
    That richest 300 are, primarily, not tax resident here, or have income from foreign businesses, so it's rather unlikely that there's any means of getting your hands on their wealth growth.
    Government current expenditure in 2013 is €51.5 billion of which €42.3 billion goes on health, welfare and education not the 97% you claim - right-wing hacks generally can't do sums either.
    Tax expenditure in the current budget is €65.2 billion, with €8 billion allocated to servicing debt, of which the bank bailout debt costs amount to €1.6 billion - 3% of tax outgoings. Which would leave 97% of tax to cover day to day expenditure, and loans for day to day expenditure., as already stated
    After all of this - working class people are on the move - the government we on the ropes. The days of the government bending people over and giving it to the 90% up the rear end are over. The only issue to be resolved is how big a kicking FG and LP are going to get and how much of an earthquake will impact on the current political system. The days of the two and a half parties divvying up the spoils of office are over.
    Given your dismissal of our parliamentary democracy, it's a wonder you care one way or another. What's for sure is there's no appetite for your revolution, so whatever transpires come the next elections, it won't be good news for the particular movement you envisage for the working class people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What's for sure is there's no appetite for your revolution, so whatever transpires come the next elections, it won't be good news for the particular movement you envisage for the working class people.

You give these threads so much win Alastair it's. Fantastic to see. Read the papers read online there is so much appetite for opposing what the government are doing its nearly palpable.

But keep up the spin. As I said already everything you've said so far goes the opposite what.

Loving your posts

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Typical b*ll**** - we are all 'consumers'

Well excuse me - when I get sick and end up in hospital I want to be treated as a patient - when my kids are in school I want them treated as students - when I have to flush the toilet I don't want to be lining the pocket of Denis O'Brien or some spiv running a hedge fund.
    Apples and oranges. If you go to hospital, its because you have been sent for treatment. Children are required to go to school. You are comparing the provision of clean water with hospital and school. That is daft.

Water is a resource that costs money to provide. This has to be paid for. And to conserve it, there needs to be a tariff.

I agree with water charges as a concept.

But, the way this Government has rolled out IW and all the associated mess has been an absolute disaster. IW should never be privatised. It should be a semi state like ESB.

And money should be first spend on upgrading the network before charging people. But, the money isn't there for this work unfortunately.

Charging peoplefor water is done is most civilised countries. And people pay these charges without a second thought. They understand that clean water costs money to deliver. The user should pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It's a bit like throwing your toys out of the pram. You will never accept Irish Water? Fine, disconnect yourself from the water and sewer mains and enjoy your life. Otherwise, you'll get a bill and deal with it.

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Simple answer, because it was never about conservation! It was all and is all about the deal the government is content in honouring to EU and IMF!
    Can't it be about both? I'm not sure where it was thought up that it would be a brilliant argument to start saying that because it's not about conservation it's not a good idea. I posted in another thread that metered water charges results in a saving of approximately 40kL of water per household per annum. This is a by-product of the fact that people pay, so it IS about conservation. Happy?

PS: The Troika didn't make the government create UÉ or, necessarily, charge for water in the manner in which it has been. Just FYI to clear up your prejudices.
    "QQQ I hate the way our democracy works, because it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to!" - I say, mockingly.
    The government has absolutely no mandate to impose water charges.
    They're in government, so they have a legal mandate to do so. In fact, even in opinion polls they have the highest support.
    Furthermore - this is absolutely irrelevant - the recent elections in May's Euros and Locals and the recent by-elections demonstrate that the current government have - at best - the support of 25% of the electorate, with that number falling all the time.
    You'll be needing to provide a source for that and explain away the regional voting trends.
    It is a fallacy to suggest that political parties can promise to do X, Y and Z at election time - then do a deal with other parties to get the mercs and perks that is a mash-up of the worst elements of both - and then expect that, when it has been shown that they lied through their teeth they get a five year free run to wreck the living standards of 90% of the population.
    I'm gonna guess you're new to the whole politics thing. It's what happens, it's what happened since democracy began, you're not going to change it on your keyboard or elsewhere.
    Now - get off the bloody hobby-horse and realise that working class people have paid all they are going to pay for the gambling debts of the spivs and speculators that lined the pockets of FF and FG and are now showing the government that unless they back off, a mass movement of the working class will kick the living be-jaysus out of them over the next 12 months.
    You know what... maybe middle class people are sick of it too. We should stop paying tax and let the economy crash and leave the working class unemployed and without a dole to collect. The bailout is historical now, unless you have a time machine, there's sweet f-all you can do about it.

Who is the lead coalition party?.....
    Seriously for someone who claims to have never voted Fine Gael you sure do support them tooth and nail. The Fine Gael party could do with more opponents like you.
    They can do no wrong in your eyes.
    If they simply followed the mandate given by the Irish people, why not run abolishing the seanad through, take the bondholders to task, address property tax by either lowering it or scraping it. Reforming the way government works, cutting quangoes rather than creating new ones, (IW) and acts of cronyism, "We look after our own".
    They failed in their mandate. They promised to change in the way government was organized, an end to cronyism an end to quangoes. They've done nothing but the tried and short term fix of making cuts and squeezing more from the working tax payer, (the majority). Bravo.
    I know of nobody who said, 'Vote Fine Gael' they'll set up an extra new charge for water!' A real vote winner....

For Reals wrote: »
    Seriously for someone who claims to have never voted Fine Gael you sure do support them tooth and nail. The Fine Gael party could do with more opponents like you.
    They can do no wrong in your eyes..
    They can, and have done lots wrong, but that doesn't mean they don't have a mandate.
    If they simply followed the mandate given by the Irish people, why not run abolishing the seanad through, .
    Eh, they committed to a vote on it, and we voted that down in a referendum. Remember?
    take the bondholders to task, .
    What exactly does that mean?
    address property tax by either lowering it or scraping it. .
    They didn't commit to either in their manifesto. They talked about putting greater control in the hands of the local authorities, which is the case with the 15% reduction some have applied.
    Reforming the way government works, cutting quangoes rather than creating new ones, (IW) and acts of cronyism, "We look after our own".
    They failed in their mandate. They promised to change in the way government was organized, an end to cronyism an end to quangoes. They've done nothing but the tried and short term fix of making cuts and squeezing more from the woking tax payer. Bravo.
    I know of nobody who said, 'Vote Fine Gael' they'll set up an extra new charge for water!' A real vote winner....
    They've undoubtedly had a mixed bag in terms of living up to their manifesto, but what government has not? Their mandate is still a reality however, until they get voted out.

cabledude wrote: »

We pay for water supply already with tax's

We never paid for electricity, telephone or gas in tax's, we always paid these in a pay for what you use basic, make's no difference if state owned or private owned we always paid just ""once"", separately and nothing to do with tax's

Its not like the bins either, bin collection has fare competition and we can bring our own waste/recycling to a centre ourselves if we so "chose"

• Advertisement

They can, and have done lots wrong, but that doesn't mean they don't have a mandate.

Eh, they committed to a vote on it, and we voted that down in a referendum. Remember?

Eh, you misread my post. I asked why they didn't run it through, without any meaningful debate, y'know, like IW?

Advertisement