Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gregory Campbell MP - "curry my yoghurt can coca coalyer"

Options
  • 03-11-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Video's in the bbc link
    Gregory Campbell, when invited to speak, said "curry my yoghurt can coca coalyer"

Sinn Féin Culture Minister Carál Ní Chuilín has accused the DUP's Gregory Campbell of "pure ignorance" in the Northern Ireland Assembly.

The clash came during a debate on the Irish language and Ulster Scots.

When invited to speak by principal deputy speaker Mitchel McLaughlin, Mr Campbell replied: "Curry my yoghurt can coca coalyer".

In Irish, the phrase "go raibh maith agat, Ceann Comhairle" means "thank you, speaker".

Mr Campbell then asked the minister about a minority languages strategy.

However, Ms Ní Chuilín refused to answer the question, saying that Mr Campbell's behaviour was not "befitting a member of the assembly".

"If it's anything to go by what you just did, we don't need a strategy for pure ignorance," said Ms Ní Chuilín.

In a later tweet, Ms Ní Chuilín said that she had complained to the speaker's office about "Gregory Campbell's mockery of the Irish language".

Rosie McCorley MLA, Sinn Féin Irish language spokesperson, said: "Unfortunately this is nothing new from the DUP who have blocked the development on an Irish language act, and whose representatives have a long history of insults to the Irish speaking community.

"While this might be funny in Gregory's little closed world, it is hugely insulting to all of those who promote the huge benefits of endorsing and enhancing bilingualism in our society especially in our children."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-29886175

Haw haw Gregory Campbell that's a good one! Sticking it to those micks!

Seriously though why do Unionists repeatedly mock the Irish language anyway? Both Jim Allister and Sammy Wilson recently have called it a leprechaun language also. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't born in this country so I never learned any Irish and so it wouldn't have any revelance or importance to me personally, and get a bit tired of Sinn Fein using it obsessively, but surely even if you are a unionist, you want to have a good relationship and respect with the country you share a border with who has this as their actual national language? Why act like childish morons over it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Because many unionists are paranoid and threatened.

To some, anti-irishness is their only culture

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

lol fair play to him.

Also to the poster above me, let's not equate anti-Irish language with anti-Irishness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    lol fair play to him.

Dear o dear o dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    lol fair play to him.

Also to the poster above me, let's not equate anti-Irish language with anti-Irishness.

No but we can certainly equate Gregory Campbell with anti-Irishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Not surprising. This is the same stock that birthed the KKK.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Gregory Campbell - Just another in a long line of dickhead politicians that continue to let Northern Ireland down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'd argue "thuas bóthair cailín bainne" is more insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement