Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry my yoghurt!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Oh the "free speech when it suits" thing.
    I'm not sure how I'm supposed to respond to that. You made an unfounded and unsupported assumption. (For clarities sake the assumption being that I would react differently if another politician mocked the sound of another language). Which I ignored (because it was irrelevant) and now you're using that assumption to make an accusation that I'm not consistent (that I only support freedom of speech when it suits). Not before accusing me of trolling of course.

Your arguments are all over the place and you have no logical leg to stand on. Unless you're going to actually address the points I raised please don't waste my time with accusations of trolling and assumptions based on assumptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Your arguments are all over the place and you have no logical leg to stand on.
    What are you basing that on? Me disagreeing with you?
    Unless you're going to actual address the points I raised.
    But I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Ye know the rules regarding calling out trolls, please don't do it. Report in future.

What are you basing that on? Me disagreeing with you?
    No. I explained it in my post.

"I'm not sure how I'm supposed to respond to that. You made an unfounded and unsupported assumption. (For clarities sake the assumption being that I would react differently if another politician mocked the sound of another language). Which I ignored (because it was irrelevant) and now you're using that assumption to make an accusation that I'm not consistent (that I only support freedom of speech when it suits). Not before accusing me of trolling of course.

Your arguments are all over the place and you have no logical leg to stand on. Unless you're going to actually address the points I raised please don't waste my time with accusations of trolling and assumptions based on assumptions."
    But I did.
    You accused me of trolling and claimed that I only value freedom of speech sometimes based on an assumption that I would react differently of another politician mocked the sound of another language, please don't waste my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

it's not unreasonable to disagree with a politician - any politician - publicly sneering and being provocative at a particular language, and by extension, a particular group (Irish speakers).

only imo the politician was sneering at the use of a language which in his opinion was for political purposes only, SF knowing full well it was unintelligible to the majority of the chamber.

btw just to bring things into context, no one was blown to pieces, hurt or severely injured by this incident.
    no one will be found in a bog years later,
    no one had to endure a vicious rape by terrorists because of this incident,

need i go on?

• Advertisement

loughside wrote: »
    btw just to bring things into context, no one was blown to pieces, hurt or severely injured by this incident.
    no one will be found in a bog years later,
    no one had to endure a vicious rape by terrorists because of this incident
    But nobody is saying it's as bad as those, doesn't mean they can't criticise it.

the assumption being that I would react differently if another politician mocked the sound of another language). Which I ignored (because it was irrelevant)
    Kinda like the way you... constantly... throw in whatabouting when it's not of relevance?
    I'm familiar with your posts for many years - my assumptions are not without foundation.

I'm familiar with your posts for many years

you do mean many days, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

You only need to listen to Campbell's response to what he said to realise that he shouldn't be taken seriously at all. His idea of British 'culture' in the north is waving a flag and marching down streets to prove themselves.

Anyone who wants a united Ireland with these lot needs to have a long hard think.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Maybe Campbell(good Scottish name) should look across the water at the land of his ancestors and see how things are handled in the Scottish Parliament (Parlamaid na H-Alba) with regards to how they deal with the Gaelic Language??

• Advertisement

kingchess wrote: »
    Maybe Campbell(good Scottish name) should look across the water at the land of his ancestors and see how things are handled in the Scottish Parliament (Parlamaid na H-Alba) with regards to how they deal with the Gaelic Language??

Hmmm,.... throw in a bunch of well dressed ex-terrorists into the mix and it might not run so smoothly in Parlamaid na H-Alba land.

edgecutter wrote: »
    Anyone who wants a united Ireland with these lot needs to have a long hard think.

so you`re tarring a million people with the same brush?

very friendly attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

It's a perfect example of pettiness. Let the Unionists have their damn flag. Why does it matter? SF poked loyalists with a stick and condemned the consequences.

So if someone's going to threaten violence just give them what they want? I'd hate to live in your democracy. I would say I cant believe that someone is on here accusing a democratic compromise of being petty as opposed to the knuckledraggers who tried to burn belfast to the ground, but given your previous posts it doesnt require much of a leap of imagination.

So if someone's going to threaten violence just give them what they want?
    Only when loyalist. And probably Israeli.

Only when loyalist. And probably Israeli.

oops, lets throw a little bit of racism into the mix - Hey, we`re on a roll - why not !!

dear o dear

oops, lets throw a little bit of racism into the mix - Hey, we`re on a roll - why not !!

dear o dear

Racism? The poster documented a well established link between unionism/loyalism and the apartheid state of Israel. Where's the racism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

dear o dear

Still can't answer the questions?

Nodin wrote: »
    Still can't answer the questions?

Still can`t figure out the answers!!!??

c`mon noddy i know you can do it..

Racism? The poster documented a well established link between unionism/loyalism and the apartheid state of Israel. Where's the racism?

must have missed that - link please??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Still can`t figure out the answers!!!??

c`mon noddy i know you can do it..

Why can't you answer? What, exactly, is the problem?

• Advertisement

Kinda like the way you... constantly... throw in whatabouting when it's not of relevance?
    I'm familiar with your posts for many years - my assumptions are not without foundation.

Engaging in whataboutary to accuse me of whataboutary.

How many other ways can you cover up the fact you have no respect for freedom of speech when the person speaking is mocking something you personally care about. That's three so far.

must have missed that - link please??

Cant believe anyone actually needs a link for this. It's like asking for a link that proves water is wet. Oh well, here ya go. There are countless more that you can look up yourself.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/stormont-meeting-launches-dup-friends-of-israel-group-1-6114099

So if someone's going to threaten violence just give them what they want? I'd hate to live in your democracy. I would say I cant believe that someone is on here accusing a democratic compromise of being petty as opposed to the knuckledraggers who tried to burn belfast to the ground, but given your previous posts it doesnt require much of a leap of imagination.
    No. Those in power should never give in to violence or the threat of violence but neither should they engage in such pettiness.

dear o dear
    But there's no racism? :confused:
    I was only referring to that person's selectivity. They don't condemn threats of violence when they're from people they support/agree with.
    What "roll" am I on?
    Engaging in whataboutary to accuse me of whataboutary.

How many other ways can you cover up the fact you have no respect for freedom of speech when the person speaking is mocking something you personally care about. That's three so far.
    Absolute freedom of speech does not exist. Stop twisting my words. I know your tactics, lots of people do. If an organisation said something that you found deplorable, you wouldn't think they had the freedom to do so - hence why I said "Freedom of speech when it suits".

well established link between unionism/loyalism and the apartheid state of Israel
    Known as the "Sticking it to the nationalists" link.

No. Those in power should never give in to violence or the threat of violence but neither should they engage in such pettiness.

You still havent explained how it's petty. It's a flag that less than half the people of Belfast identify with. SF could have pushed for it to be taken down altogether but they didnt. They, through their own volition, opted for a compromise. That's the opposite of petty.

Absolute freedom of speech does not exist. Stop twisting my words. I know your tactics, lots of people do. If an organisation said something that you found deplorable, you wouldn't think they had the freedom to do so - hence why I said "Freedom of speech when it suits".

Freedom of speech certainly exists. Especially in the assembly where members are given the added legal protection of Parliamentary privilege.

But the existence or non existence of freedom of speech is not the issue in contention here. I am making the case that you do not respect freedom of speech when the speaker is mocking something you personally identify with.

Freedom of speech certainly exists. Especially in the assembly where members are given the added legal protection of Parliamentary privilege.
    No it doesn't exist. Because if it truly did, anyone could say anything.
    I am making the case that you do not respect freedom of speech when the speaker is mocking something you personally identify with.
    And you're wrong/lying. I clearly said I find it unprofessional and unbecoming for any public representative (and listed various ones) to mock a language like petty schoolchildren.
    Just because you're absolutely OBSESSED with ridiculing the Irish language IWF doesn't mean I don't have the right to hold that view, and it makes you incredibly biased. I do not believe for a nanosecond that you'd be ok with public representatives mocking other languages publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Maybe he was trying to say it in Ulster Scots, ya know, that real, totally not made up language some knuckle draggers are clinging too as a sign they have culture.

The status of Ulster Scots as a language or a dialect is a moot point. It has EU recognition. It is best classed as a sub-dialect of Scots, and while Scots is now a dialect of English, it was undoubtedly a language in its own right for a few centuries until 1600/1700 or thereabouts. There is a body of poetry in Ulster Scots. I'm sure you don't intend to stoop to Campbell's level, but that is what you do when you denigrate Ulster Scots, and stooping to his level is stooping pretty low.
    True, some people have cynically exploited Ulster Scots, just as others have done likewise to Irish,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Just because you're absolutely OBSESSED with ridiculing the Irish language

He's gets a buzz out of this type of thing. Pretty sad really.
    I think it's pretty funny. Anything that pisses off gaelgeoirs is funny in my book.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement