Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do North Americans laugh at the famine so much?

Options
  • 03-11-2014 6:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭

For a place where the media is usually so politically correct (Look as Suey Park and CancelColbert) why do they feel free to take such liberties making fun of the Great Famine? This is currently trending on reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/2l3cbn/classic_irishmans_dilemma/
    which is a liberal forum where PC values are typically strongly enforced (at least in popular topics) by the community. Substitute any other ethnicity and their negative stereotypes into that joke and it becomes an absolute no no.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?

None.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

What is they say about tragedy + time?

...and mountains + molehills?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Omackeral wrote: »
    How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?

None.

That's all I saw.Was there more?

Scoundrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I don't think Americans laugh at the famine much if at all. Most of them wouldn't even know about it to laugh at it and if they did know about it wouldn't find much to laugh at.

They laugh at the stereotype of a drunken Irishman who eats potatoes. Or at the Frenchman who stinks of garlic and will surrender at the sound of a cork popping. Or at the Englishman in a three piece suit drinking tea his butler has made for him getting upset at the people having fun. Or at the Mexican trying to sneak across the boarder in his sombrero. Just like people might laugh at the fat loud American tourist stereotype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Because they haven't experienced famine themselves for a few hundred years. And because they're a little dim.

• Advertisement

Because they haven't experienced famine themselves for a few hundred years. And because they're a little dim.

Snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That link has nothing to do with the famine. It's about Irish 'being drunks' and 'loving potatoes'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Taking Americans seriously is your first problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

So what, I love my potatoes and my drink, it beats Big Macs and scooters any day...

We bring the craic, they bring "democracy" (If you happen to have oil) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Most Americans know nothing of the rest of the world, the educational system is skewed towards introspection rather than a world view.
    Ireland is green and it rains a lot and Saint Patrick,
    This is the problem when they start to interface with other countries.
    Many Americans believe all Muslims are terrorists for example, they have irrational fears of the unknown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Paulownia wrote: »
    Most Americans know nothing of the rest of the world, the educational system is skewed towards introspection rather than a world view.
    Ireland is green and it rains a lot and Saint Patrick,
    This is the problem when they start to interface with other countries.
    Many Americans believe all Muslims are terrorists for example, they have irrational fears of the unknown

Is the above not just a stereotype in what a lot of Irish see about Americans, Any Americans that I have met in Europe,which be quite a few,are well educated and are very much informed of the countries there visiting.

realies wrote: »
    Is the above not just a stereotype in what a lot of Irish see about Americans, Any Americans that I have met in Europe,which be quite a few,are well educated and are very much informed of the countries there visiting.
    Those are the ones who travel, 80 0/0 of Americans have never had a passport.
    Try visiting America outside of the main cities, I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The classic American's dilemma "If I eat 5 big macs in one sitting, is there still room for a mcflurry with a crushed up apple pie desert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

McGaggs wrote: »
    The classic American's dilemma "If I eat 5 big macs in one sitting, is there still room for a mcflurry with a crushed up apple pie desert?

Don't be saying that your making me hungry :(

cloud493 wrote: »
    Don't be saying that your making me hungry :(

Most middle class Americans think that poor people are only poor because they are too lazy to work, even politicians say it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Most middle class Americans think that poor people are only poor because they are too lazy to work, even politicians say it

Yes, I was more referring to the idea of a mcflurry with a crushed up apple pie in it. Sounds delicious :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Is that not to be said of any large country, India,Russia,Brazil ,try visting them countries outside of the main cities and see what they say about Ireland, which will be what...

You can blame the Irish tourist board for a lot of the images and opinions in America about Ireland,especially in the 60,s 70,s 80,s when they portrayed Ireland as green mystic land of saints and scholars with a top of the morning ta ya :-) and soft day thank God.

Is that not to be said of any large country, India,Russia,Brazil ,try visting them countries outside of the main cities and see what they say about Ireland, which will be what...

You can blame the Irish tourist board for a lot of the images and opinions in America about Ireland,especially in the 60,s 70,s 80,s when they portrayed Ireland as green mystic land of saints and scholars with a top of the morning ta ya :-) and soft day thank God.

That may well be true of India, Russia and Brazil but two of those are third world countries and Russia is a bit special too.
    Anyway the thread was about Americans.
    I have an Irish friend living outside NY who does volunteering work in the area of adult literacy and she finds that her middle class friends think she is mad that she spends her time doing that.
    They fell if people can't read and write it is somehow their own fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If you didn't need a passport to travel within the eu at all, how many Europeans would have a passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Aah Malory Archer.... You put it best

http://youtu.be/rOtls2ZvjE4

• Advertisement

If you didn't need a passport to travel within the eu at all, how many Europeans would have a passport?

Anyone who needed to visit the US for instance, I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭blackwhite

In a thread complaining about Americans making "racist" jokes, there's a hell of a lot of racist generalisations about Americans - but apparently that's ok :rolleyes:

They have a vast country on their doorstep and huge distances to travel before they'd even need a passport,so not comparable to Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Anyone who needed to visit the US for instance, I suppose

Which would be what, 20% of the European population?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It's the same as the way we laugh at 911...

I'll get my coat!

Europeans traditionally have them because of the borders everywhere.It's still the best form of ID.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Can confirm. Am American, famine funniest thing since sliced bread.

Irish knock knock joke.

Knock Knock.
    Who's there?
    Nobody, they all died in the famine.

I think I wet myself.

In reality, going by this thread, we all love the old bit of sweeping generalization. Get over it.

MarkR wrote: »
    Can confirm. Am American, famine funniest thing since sliced bread.

Irish knock knock joke.

Knock Knock.
    Who's there?
    Nobody, they all died in the famine.

I think I wet myself.

In reality, going by this thread, we all love the old bit of sweeping generalization. Get over it.

As an American then you know what I'm saying is correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Man I could murder a spud right now

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Scannal

I find it's more popular amongst British people to laugh and make fun of Irish people about the famine. Which is much worse considering who caused it.

Advertisement