Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving on up ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

nop98 wrote: »
    Hope you enjoyed a nice quiet day! :)

Ah... I did, but do not worry - this is not Ososlo's log, I take at least two days off every week ;). Difference was that I was looking forward to it as I've been very keen to get out when I can in these recent months of rationed running (injury rehab). (Nice time for you at the parkrun this morning btw!)

In fact it was very nearly two quiet days as the laziness kicked-in this afternoon :rolleyes: ... but I eventually pushed myself out.

Saturday, 21st Feb: 3.04miles test-the-speed run (9:30, 8:10, 9:32).
    The whole point of this was to see whether I can do any short fast run; but mindful of Dubgal's tales of her neighbour & his injuries I set it up with a warm-up and cool-down. It was planned with 1.5 miles in the middle, but I didn't feel I had another half-mile at the faster pace. So I'm probably still a bit away from the 25min parkrun never mind back near the PB....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Ah... I did, but do not worry - this is not Ososlo's log, I take at least two days off every week ;). Difference was that I was looking forward to it as I've been very keen to get out when I can in these recent months of rationed running (injury rehab). (Nice time for you at the parkrun this morning btw!)

In fact it was very nearly two quiet days as the laziness kicked-in this afternoon :rolleyes: ... but I eventually pushed myself out.

V-well done to push yourself out! It can be so easy to "not be able to find the runners"... :) And thanks much, feel chuffed (time better than expected) and keen to get back out again, as there are seconds to shave off that time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Hey Hillsiderunner, any races coming up maybe in another month or so?

MKDTH wrote: »
    Hey Hillsiderunner, any races coming up maybe in another month or so?

Not in the next month, too early. Am hoping to do the Battle of Clontarf 10miles on Easter Monday if it goes ahead ... still no website/entry! It gives 6 weeks more so I might have some reasonable fitness by then, fingers crossed. Will do a parkrun in a couple of weeks as a time trial whenever I feel it's likely to go under 25mins.

No Paris marathon, that's gone. Injury took longer to rehab than expected ...

Only definite event at this point is "Seven Hills of Edinburgh" on 21st June (hill race of about 15miles). Will be having to do a good bit of trail-running and recceing for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Not in the next month, too early. Am hoping to do the Battle of Clontarf 10miles on Easter Monday if it goes ahead ... still no website/entry! It gives 6 weeks more so I might have some reasonable fitness by then, fingers crossed. Will do a parkrun in a couple of weeks as a time trial whenever I feel it's likely to go under 25mins.

No Paris marathon, that's gone. Injury took longer to rehab than expected ...

Only definite event at this point is "Seven Hills of Edinburgh" on 21st June (hill race of about 15miles). Will be having to do a good bit of trail-running and recceing for that.

I've also got the Clontarf race also pencilled in so may see you their!

Yeah I was wondering about Paris, at least you don't have to worry about garlic breath now :P

The more experienced wiser runners will certainly back you up on taking your time coming back from injury. The 15 mile hill race should be perfect for you with all of the local hill training you do.

• Advertisement

MKDTH wrote: »
    I've also got the Clontarf race also pencilled in so may see you their!

Well if there's two of us planning on it, they'll have to run it now!
    The more experienced wiser runners will certainly back you up on taking your time coming back from injury. The 15 mile hill race should be perfect for you with all of the local hill training you do.

Hmmm.. those hills might sound big in my reports, but they're not that high in measurement. Even the trail through Holyrood where I stopped and walked is only a 80m climb just like the road, just a bit steeper. Anyway I'll build on that over the months ahead I hope, have a image of myself running over the hills like a mountain goat :rolleyes:.

Sunday, 22nd Feb: 10.74miles LSR @9:39 avg pace
    Beat the weather forecast, only getting a few minutes of light rain and the rest the time bright cold conditions. A bit of a wind factor around, so the first two miles were against the wind and mostly uphill, then a mile and a half of downhill with the wind to my back :), then more moderate conditions for the rest of the run. Slowest mile was mile 2 at 11:07 and fastest was mile 3 at 8:38, for obvious reasons. Found the last couple of miles a bit tough but all the same I was able to speed up a bit in those final miles & also was pleased to find myself quite comfortable coming up a smaller hill in the 10th mile.

weekly total: 28.59 miles.

James Dunne total was 0. And worse than that, I've fallen into a rut with the basic stretching I'm supposed to be doing for the injury. Have still been doing the calf stretches and back stuff after the runs, but hardly ever at other times :o. Only a few sets of calf raises. Just haven't had the mental stamina this week :(. Leg is doing fairly well, but I'm sailing close to the wind so it's better to shame myself in public. If I get re-injured it's my fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Not sure I knew Paris was off? I'm a bit confused:confused: Had you said that on your log? Sorry if I missed it.
    You ok about it?
    Will you target another marathon this year all going well?

Ososlo wrote: »
    Not sure I knew Paris was off? I'm a bit confused:confused: Had you said that on your log? Sorry if I missed it.
    You ok about it?
    Will you target another marathon this year all going well?

I didn't mention it to be honest. But it's the 12th of April, only 7 weeks away, and I am only up to 10.7 miles. Have known for many weeks now there's no way it'd be happening; it's lucky I had not booked the travel :). Absolutely fine about it because I'd like to do a good marathon with loads of training & long runs behind me, am not doing it just to tick it off.

Kind of thinking of Edinburgh marathon at the end of May which is now 14 weeks away. It's a marathon I'd never have targeted otherwise - the route is a bit boring, and also it seems that it's the only day in the calendar which is guaranteed to be hot... But it's *there*. I'll decide about that over the next couple of weeks. Might just wait for Dublin.

I didn't mention it to be honest. But it's the 12th of April, only 7 weeks away, and I am only up to 10.7 miles. Have known for many weeks now there's no way it'd be happening; it's lucky I had not booked the travel :). Absolutely fine about it because I'd like to do a good marathon with loads of training & long runs behind me, am not doing it just to tick it off.

Kind of thinking of Edinburgh marathon at the end of May which is now 14 weeks away. It's a marathon I'd never have targeted otherwise - the route is a bit boring, and also it seems that it's the only day in the calendar which is guaranteed to be hot... But it's *there*. I'll decide about that over the next couple of weeks. Might just wait for Dublin.

You're absolutely right to wait until you're properly ready for it and not do it for the sake of it. Maybe you should wait for Dublin. It's a fantastic marathon in so many ways and the extra added bonus is that you can go to McGrattan's for lots of fun afterwards:D
    Best of luck whatever you decide!

• Advertisement

You're absolutely right to wait until you're properly ready for it and not do it for the sake of it. Maybe you should wait for Dublin. It's a fantastic marathon in so many ways and the extra added bonus is that you can go to McGrattan's for lots of fun afterwards:D

Yep, and apart from all of that it is the more sensible option! (with regard to injuries, fitness). The weight of my decision is on the side of waiting-for-Dublin, but I'm gonna give it a couple of weeks in case my body decides to demonstrate a spontaneous return towards my past speeds/fitness :rolleyes:.

Had the flight booked for Monday eve of the 27th Oct last year (my non-running brother was stunned I'd be back to work the following day, he thought I would not be able to walk!). Anyway, I'd make time for some fun after if doing DCM 2015.

Ended up with 1-and-a-half excuses not to go to intervals on Tuesday evening: the main reason that I'd forgotten that the landlord had made an appointment to come round and do some jobs check out the flat that evening ... also the cough asthma had made a bit of a reappearance early this week because the inhaler had been running out the week before & I only got the new one on Friday. Was coughing a fair bit so I let myself off doing any run at all.

Wednesday, 25th Feb: 5.43 miles steady run, 8:58 avg pace
    Could have tried to do the intervals but I was still coughing, so I opted for something easier. This run was almost entirely flat and I managed to keep all the miles within <10secs of the average. Felt fine at this pace except at the end where I pushed a bit coming up a small hill. Bits of coughing but no coughing fits :)

Thursday, 26th: 1.44miles w/u, 5x650m repeats, 2.11miles c/d (5.55miles total)
    Cough was again a bit better so I negotiated that I'd try the intervals and if the coughing was troublesome I'd allow myself to bail. Did these on the exact same 6min clock as I'd do with the group ... though after seeing Laois_Man's comment about his own sessions, I also think I don't need 3mins recovery. Anyway took this out slightly more conservatively than last week... worked well and I did all 5 repeats with no interruptions or nonsense like walking. The times were 3:06, 3:03, 3:00, 3:04, 3:01. Gave it a good effort but only felt I was pushing hard on the final one. Found a record of doing the repeats all around 2:43 last August, so I'm actually about 20secs off my best. But I think I was a tiny bit off the full effort today (a tactical decision to make sure I didn't bail!).
    Will probably go back to the group on Tuesday but even if I don't I'll make sure I do them alone. Regardless of whether it's exactly the best speed training for my current (fluctuating!) plans, some kind of speed session is better than nothing.

The runs this weekend have been a bit tougher than expected; big wind factor might be partly responsible, but think it's also fitness ... taking a while to get re-acquainted with the bit of extra speed and some extra miles.

Saturday, 28th Feb: 4.19mile steady run @9:04 avg pace
    Found a dry spell during the evening and forced myself out the door for what was originally planned to be 2 fast miles with 1mile w/u and 1/mile c/d. Did the w/u mile and then on the 2nd mile tried to push the pace somewhere near 8mins. Anyway was pushing against a stiff wind, and was generally feeling a lack of power, and I knew I wasn't going to be able to do it... so I decided on a steady run instead. Was just about able to do that :rolleyes:.
    Miles time 9:25, 8:57, 9:07, 8:57, .19 @8:07 pace]

Sunday, 1st March: 11mile hilly "springtime" LSR @9:46 avg pace
    This run was similar to last Sunday's with an extra hilly loop added in the middle, all on road. Was sunny for the most part but there was a strong wind too, and due to the wind and the hills the paces were all over the place. Suffered quite a bit on mile 2 going uphill with the wind in my face... but there were also some lovely stretches in the sun where it felt as though someone had their hand on my back pushing me along :).... Overall I found this more difficult than the recent long runs, which were fairly similar. Ended up walking towards the end of the big hill in mile 2, and again on a short sharp hill in mile 8 :( Only about 8-10 steps each time but still not impressed with myself. Slowest mile was mile 2 at 11:29. Anyway, on the way back towards my flat I had a good blast of wind in my face for most of the 11th mile ... felt like stopping and stamping my foot when this nonsense started again (mentally I was shaking my arm against the sky :mad:). Had planned the run to be close to 12miles but I was coming near my flat towards the end of mile 11 and I decided I'd had enough of getting blown around the place ....so I stopped the watch exactly at the 11-mile point and walked the 100m home rather than adding on the extra mile. An *assertive* act against the weather conditions.

weekly total: 26.17miles

February total: 96.27miles

Even discounting injury-rehab, February is a decent total for me (think it's 4-highest of all time!). Plenty of room for improvement there.

Feeling very virtuous and sensible at the moment. Unannounced here, I had made a secret entry into the Edinburgh marathon back in the middle of January when I knew I wouldn't make it to Paris. It was a tactical registration because Edinburgh allows the transfer/sale of marathon places (hallelujah!), and usually sells out. Anyway today was the last day allowed for transfer & I sold my place to someone else last night. End of May is a bit too soon to expect to get in a good training cycle ... but my real deciding factor is that 7Hills is only 3weeks after the marathon and doing two big races within 3 weeks would probably contradict the don't-get-injured resolution for 2015.

I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the endurance/hill-fitness I need for the 7 Hills. But I have 16weeks to go. Am going to use the next 6weeks to build the Long Run up to 16miles (and weekly mileage up over 30miles), and then after that I'll alternate 12/14/16 for the long runs, taking in some of the 7 Hills on each Long Run. Hope that will do the trick! Figure that this will be a great base for starting the marathon training for Dublin (week -18 is just after the 7 Hills).

Tentative plans for the year:
    6th April, 2015: Clontarf 10miles
    15th May, 2015: Black Rock '5' (local run of about 4.6miles done partly on the beach (and maybe in the sea depending on the tide))
    21st June, 2015: Seven Hills of Edinburgh
    26th October, 2015: Dublin marathon

Of course, *all* could change (but I hope not)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

You re going well, relax and enjoy it.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Your going well, relax and enjoy it.

Relaxing tomorrow! Today was not entirely enjoyable ...

It's going ok but it's a bit annoying how a few months (with elliptical and even bits of on/off running) can hit the fitness. So have to make sure I don't injure again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I love the way everyone on here takes the wind personally :)

that seven hills sounds like some challenge, you'll have plenty of time to be ready for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

annapr wrote: »
    that seven hills sounds like some challenge, you'll have plenty of time to be ready for it...

Ok, this is now on my bucket list

annapr wrote: »
    I love the way everyone on here takes the wind personally :)

Don't usually .. tend to be used to it ... but when I turned at 10miles to head West, I couldn't believe it was back *again*. Was at the end of my rope with it ....
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Ok, this is now on my bucket list

Has been on my bucket list for a couple of years, didn't want to let it slide any longer! Sooooo much training to be done but will be worth it!

Has been on my bucket list for a couple of years, didn't want to let it slide any longer! Sooooo much training to be done but will be worth it!

Looking forward to the report already!

Was watching the weather on Tuesday and I knew that there was no way I'd be strong enough to push myself out of the house for intervals. The experience over the weekend was still too raw (cue violins...), and I was coughing a fair bit, so I changed the plans and headed out for an easy lunchtime run instead... and it was lashing rain in the evening, so this was the right decision.

Tuesday, 3rd March: 4.88miles easy-ish @9:18 average pace
    Lovely conditions for this one, really the first day of springtime. We'd had our first bit of the white-stuff on Monday night, and the meadows had a few patches of snow, but loads of new crocuses along the perimeter. Sun beating down. Was feeling quite comfortable on this run, but was probably a slightly-harder effort than easy. Consistent pace with the last mile a little bit quicker.
    Had been coughing a little bit on the run, but when I got back to the office had a bit of a coughing fit with an unfortunate side-effect :( .... let's say no more. At least I'm not a real runner.

Took Wednesday off because the coughs seemed a little bit too much.

Thursday, 5th March: 1.27miles w/u, 5x650m repeats on 6min clock, 3.7miles c/d (7 miles total)
    These repeats are (more-or-less) the same as the session of 5x3min @5k pace with 3min recoveries that many people round here have been doing lately. Maybe slightly faster than my current 5k pace. Anyway, this went well. Went out with the concession at the back of my head that I'd let myself bail on the repeats if they were miserable .... but did them all without any messing around :), a little bit faster than last week :). Repeats were 2:58, 2:57, 2:57, 2:59, 2:58. I wasn't really gasping after any of them (I would often be when running them with the group). So I have a little bit extra I didn't use today. Some coughs on the run but they felt more like 'normal' coughs than the asthma cough, feels that the new inhaler is kicking in.
    The w/u miles were @9:27 pace and the c/d miles @9:18 avg pace. Slightly faster than easy pace but I was very comfortable. Really felt this run/session really took nothing out of me today.

Am feeling very happy about transferring my Edinburgh marathon place. It was very nice to be able to drop Wednesday's run and not to be worrying about the miles lost, and how many weeks left. It's nice to be facing into the next big race with >15weeks to go.

• Advertisement

Good to see things going well for you! Remind me what race is in 15 weeks again?

Good to see things going well for you! Remind me what race is in 15 weeks again?

Seven Hills of Edinburgh - it's about 14.5-15miles. No fixed route apart from the 7 hills round the city... not quite orienteering as they must be visited in a fixed order and in between it is road running. The optimal route is 14.3miles but probably I'll take some easier sections on the way. Loads of hill runs to be added over the next months. Will be a great base for starting into marathon training I think (week -18 for DCM is the week after this one :) ).

Planning to do Clontarf 10miles on April 6th but that'll be to "see where I am".

Seven Hills of Edinburgh - it's about 14.5-15miles. No fixed route apart from the 7 hills round the city... not quite orienteering as they must be visited in a fixed order and in between it is road running. The optimal route is 14.3miles but probably I'll take some easier sections on the way. Loads of hill runs to be added over the next months. Will be a great base for starting into marathon training I think (week -18 for DCM is the week after this one :) ).

Planning to do Clontarf 10miles on April 6th but that'll be to "see where I am".

Sounds like an interesting race and yes great prep for mara training alright! So DCM it is then! Super! I'll be out cheering!

I'm realising that the day I really struggle to push myself out onto the roads is Saturday, at least when it's afternoon or later. Going to try to get the Saturday run done earlier in the day in future as it's taking too long to mobilise myself after that...

Saturday, 7th March: 4.3 miles steady/fast @8:47 avg pace
    Took so long to shove myself out, the wind had dropped by the time I headed out :). Lovely mild 12C and I was enjoying myself within half a mile, after all the angst getting out. Had to take off my windcheater half way through because I was too warm! Fairly consistent pace on this one with the first mile a bit slower.

Sunday, 8th March: 12.1 miles hilly LSR @9:35 avg pace
    Spent a good while wasting-time on the internet & following the Boharmeen sweepstakes before going out for this one, after last Sunday's bad run. Anyway Mark English did not win his medal by surfing the net and hiding from the wind, so eventually I headed out and ...Wind. But not as strong as last week, and most importantly it had shifted direction a bit, so there was only one uphill where I had it in my face. Got a little push when I was coming to the top of a sharp hill in mile 4 too, which was appreciated :). This was the same route as last week, except this time I stuck on the extra mile at the end. Didn't walk on any hill, even the annoying one in mile 8. The pace is a bit too fast for a LSR for me right now, I know that ... but I was enjoying myself ... speedup mostly due to the final 4 miles which were low 9:xx. Had a good bit of stomach cramping when I came into my flat, but no side-effects fortunately. I hadn't eaten in the 4 hours before I headed out & I think that's probably explains it ... not a common occurrence! so I hadn't experienced post-run cramping before....

weekly total: 28.1 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Sunday, 8th March: 12.1 miles hilly LSR @9:35 avg pace

Jealous! Haven't ran that long for weeks. On the to-do list for next weekend.

nop98 wrote: »
    Jealous! Haven't ran that long for weeks. On the to-do list for next weekend.

There's no 'Frozen' or football coaching here, so it's easier to get out for the longer distances. It was a reassuringly nice run.

Bet the football will turn out to be good cross-training!

Was not running on Monday, and very happy about that - I nearly got blown over by the wind when I was crossing the street to buy my lunch that day...

Tues, 10th March: 1.3miles w/u, 5x650m repeats on 6min clock, 1.76miles c/d (5miles total)
    "Tuesday intervals" on my lonesome. Did this one after work as the sun was coming down, lovely windless weather, thousands of crocuses on the meadows now looking bright and strong. Was doing the repeats by myself again because I had a clash later in the evening - but there was another runner from the group already there getting hers in early too, doing one of the longer loops. The repeats came in at [2:59, 2:58, 2:57, 3:01, 2:55], more or less the same as last week. Stumbled a bit in the middle of the 4th one and knew it'd end up slower than the rest. Warm-up was around 9:35pace and cool-down around 9:25 average. Two of Scotland's top female distance runners were training together and they powered past me many times during my session... they were there last Thursday too, very impressive speed from them!

Wed, 11th March: 4.09miles easy @9:29 average pace
    Done among the crocuses again.

Thurs, 12th March: 6.24miles multi-terrain run @9:36
    This is the same run that I've been doing on recent Thursdays, with the steepish trail where I have been walking a bit. Goal for today was NOT TO WALK. Started with 1 mile and a bit to take me into the park, then a lovely mile or so of downhill, then onto the trail with just a gentle climb, unfortunately wind in the face for a good part of this. Towards the end of mile 3 the climb gets steeper, so I backed off the pace .... bit more sheltered now though. Was able to continue running longer than on my previous attempts, but was getting tougher as I continued, and as I came near the top the wind was back... at this stage I gave myself a little mini-lecture that the only thing that mattered was not-walking, and backed-off the pace a bit more. Up to the top (without walking!) and then out onto the road. Sometimes the real danger point for me is after the climb is done, but didn't walk here either :). After a while of running on the road the drizzle lifted, the sun came out, and I passed the lake ... had a very enjoyable mile and half of flat/downhill in the sun after this. Then a mile and a bit with some drizzle and some uphill (on the road this time) to finish.

Happy to have done all 3 runs this week :). This is going to be the shape of my midweek training for the next few months ... with the hill factor of the Thursday runs getting more serious as the weeks continue.

Tomorrow off, then it looks like I'll be kicking myself out of bed for parkrun on Saturday morning :rolleyes:.

Think Dubgal is probably twitching as she reads this entry. Sorry Dubgal, I did approximate the Tuesday total!

Your Thursday run sounds lovely! Good on ya for sticking to your guns and not walking.

Best of luck at the parkrun!

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Your Thursday run sounds lovely! Good on ya for sticking to your guns and not walking.

Thanks BG. Onwards and UPWARDS
    Best of luck at the parkrun!

Thanks, this parkrun trial is a bit sooner than I'd prefer, but I remembered the rugby visitors next weekend, and they might interfere with an early start :rolleyes: ...

• Advertisement

Good luck with Parkrun! Have you got a particular target?

Advertisement