Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

health cereal for breaky

Options
  • 02-11-2014 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for healthy breakfast cereal options. It seems all the ones I like are high in sugar (and I thought they were healthy).
    Anything plain is out and adding fruit to sweeten up something like porridge is also not going to work. Really what I'm after is the healthiest out of the box cereal (kellogs or similar). I know wheatabix is supposed to be decent but I can't stand it. Am I dreaming here or is a tasty cereal possible for me considering my sweet tooth?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

You're dreaming

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Cereal out of a box is not a good option. Porridge is the best of them imo. I dont know why you cant sweeten it? On my case ground seeds, blueberries and banana are great additions.

But if you want a good breakfast, scramble some eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Shredded Wheat has the lowest sugar of any of the processed cereals (0.7g sugar/ 100g). I have a sweet tooth so put blueberries, strawberries and raspberries on it. If you don't want to do that then you could add honey or alternatively a spice like cinnamon.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

Dreaming I think, the nearest I can think of would be some plain yogurt or even better greek yogurt unsweetened (liberte or fage), berries and a heaped teaspoon of granola (the unhealthy bit). Or else eat something thats not cereal then it might help break the sugar craving

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I'm sure you've probably heard this hundreds of times so I apologise in advance but anyway... A lot of people I know have found that por ridge takes getting used to, not liking it at the start but then coming to LOVE it! I don't know if it's the consistency is whatever but it exactly similar to your bowl of sugar aka Special K, Corn Flakes, etc... I've always loved it! I like it with thick made with wager but I don't see the issue with sweetness when you could add things like honey, berries, banana, etc... to it.

P.S. Meridian peanut butter with porridge is YUMMY!!!!! :)

Give it a go for a week or two, if it's not for you bump this thread :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Coco Pops taste good.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Thanks for the replys. I'm going to try a few different options this week I'll report back with my findings. I put sugar on a bowl of strawberries so using them to sweeten something will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Is granola a bad breakfast?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Is granola a bad breakfast?

Full of sugar most of the ones you can get in the supermarket. With a user name like that though I thought your healthy breakfast would be stapled down :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Try overnight oats if you don't like porridge in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Someone suggested to me before uncooked oats with cold milk and it's amazing if you are not a big fan of porridge because, at least for me, it doesn't taste liked cooked porridge, a taste I am not a big fan of!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

You could make your own granola. There still sugar (honey) but you could reduce the amount so probably less than shop cereal.

Or mix some dry oats, spelt flakes add dried mango (tropical wholefoods) have sugar free dried fruits, raisins or fresh fruit; add milk =home made (nearly crunchy) breakfast cereal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

As some people said already - cereals are just bad option for breakfast.
    Best options are porridge or eggs. I not a fan of porridge myself, but I do Love my eggs. Boiled or scrambled. Throw some tomato, smoked salmon or chicken too.
    Another thing that I found with cereals, that you get hungry very fast. I never had that issue with eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

2/3 porridge + 1/3 your cereal of choice

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Idunnowho

Making a weekly batch of your own granola packed with nuts and seeds is really the way to go. Also roasting the oats in coconut oil gives it a great boost. Good recipe here: http://www.drcoys.ie/blog/an-all-natural-sugar-free-home-made-granola/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I dont see anything wrong with no added sugar Swiss style Muesli,
    Approx 7g of sugar per serving but a lot of that would come from the raisins,
    also high in fiber and low fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ceepo wrote: »
    I dont see anything wrong with no added sugar Swiss style Muesli,
    Approx 7g of sugar per serving but a lot of that would come from the raisins,
    also high in fiber and low fat.

The serving size is the problem. They're usually 30-40g. Most people have a lot more than that because the serving sizes used on the packaging are very small in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Ceepo

The serving size is the problem. They're usually 30-40g. Most people have a lot more than that because the serving sizes used on the packaging are very small in reality.

Agree. But even if you doubled it, it still not a big amount of sugar as it natural for the most part.

Imo, the good out ways the bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

MRTULES wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys. I'm going to try a few different options this week I'll report back with my findings. I put sugar on a bowl of strawberries so using them to sweeten something will be interesting.

If you are putting sugar on strawberries, then I'm not sure if you are going to find a cereal that suits you. I think you need to look at trying to wean yourself off sugar or reducing the amount you eat. You could try supplementing sugar with alternatives like stevia/ xylitol

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

MRTULES wrote: »

You might want to think about gradually lowering your sugary stuff generally. Sounds like you're a bit of a slave to the stuff. It's not as hard as you think, and it actually doesn't take too long. I knocked sugar in tea/coffee on the head about two years ago. I was a two dollops per cup merchant. Tasted rotten for a couple of days. Tasted weird for a couple more. Tasted like tea/coffee from then on. Now, if I have a drink with sugar in, it tastes sickly sweet. Your body and taste buds will adjust quicker than you think. Give it a go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement