Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to kill thyme

Options
  • 30-10-2014 11:16am
    Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭

I was hired by a company a few months ago on a contractual basis and I have no idea why.

The job spec I was given doesn't reflect the 'work' I do here on a daily basis in the slightest!
    In my interview, I was told that I'd be flat out, snowed under, run off my feet, working my a** off basically but in reality, I'm doing doing!

I arrive in everyday to an empty inbox. My phone has never rang and I've never made a call. I have no duties, no projects, no nothing!!

It's like Groundhog day if Bill Murray rolled out of bed and into an office to stare at a blank screen over and over and over again...

A few weeks decided enough is enough and called a meeting with my Manager, who also happens to be the CEO. I explained that the job isn't exactly living up to my expectations and that I have no job satisfaction or motivation to come into the office. She said she understood and apologised for neglecting me. She said she's just been 'so busy'. Sigh.

Anyway, long story short, I'm bored... I'm dangerously bored.

So, can you guys help me to come up with ways to fill my days?! I have access to youtube and most other websites except for social networking sites but I'm not a fan of them anyway.

Like I said, it's only a temporary job. I'm planning on going back to study soon. I'd quit but I can't afford to and it's good money here for doing nought!

I just need ways to kill the day so I don't lose my mind and go on a murderous rampage.

Oh and just to add, this is the beloved Civil Service so it's a complete wastes of tax payers hard earned dollar. What a joke!

Help me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

What's this got to do with herbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

George Costanza, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

Try some weed killer. Roundup is good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

There's a social forum called Boards.ie. Check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ask Rosemary wha'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

I was going to make the usual civil service joke until I read the last line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Get yourself put on gardening leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think you need a bonus for turning up everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

If Carlsberg made jobs......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

start studying in work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

nexflix / showbox app & headphones.....sorted !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Download PDFs of Books or download audio books and listen while you "work".
    There a millions of excellent podcast out there that you could subscribe to.

Or just get into arguments on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Learn a language. Duolingo is quite good for picking up the basics.

Or even learn some stuff from Khan Academy which has lectures hosted on YouTube for a variety of subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Get Foster and Allen to sing a song about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Been in this situation a few times during and since college. Its massively ****. Kinda makes me wish I'd done a trade after school but anyways.... What kind of office space are you in? Can you just put on a movie or are you in a position where people can see your screen without you being aware? I used to piss off to the cinema the odd time. At that stage I had been idle for months so even if I had been caught my response would have been "Ok, now give me something to do". I've found that nothing undermines the achievement of getting your papers from college than starting a job where you've nothing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

I was hired by a company a few months ago on a contractual basis and I have no idea why.

A few weeks decided enough is enough and called a meeting with my Manager, who also happens to be the CEO.

I just need ways to kill the day so I don't lose my mind and go on a murderous rampage.

Oh and just to add, this is the beloved Civil Service so it's a complete wastes of tax payers hard earned dollar. What a joke!

Help me

So, it's a private company, a temp has access to the CEO and it's the Civil Service but the currency is dollars. You also talk about a murderous rampage.

At the moment a sys admin probably has a call into the local police after your post triggered a key word flag. Expect SWAT shortly.

Or, you're in Ireland but confused. So what's left...oh a private company hires you on contract. The company has a contract with the civil service. It actually makes sense now: a company has padded out its contract and there is some sort of rip off going on. But it's actually the private company that's at the messing. And you're just being used cynically to achieve that.

What to do? Be a man who cares about the tax payer and ring the public accounts committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Learn a language. Duolingo is quite good for picking up the basics.

100% agree. its great for picking up the basics and a little bit more advanced stuff. Plus it'll look good on the cv to have another language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

I'd download some books and read a hell of a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is it Irish Water by any chance'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

A few weeks decided enough is enough and called a meeting with my Manager, who also happens to be the CEO. I explained that the job isn't exactly living up to my expectations and that I have no job satisfaction or motivation to come into the office. She said she understood and apologised for neglecting me. She said she's just been 'so busy'. Sigh.

A lot of bosses in the real world would have suggested that you should fúck off back to work and that keeping a roof over your head and food in your belly what with the winter closing in and all should really be motivation enough.
    I'm sure you're bored, but fúck me Dr. Lollington there are far worse problems to have! I have to say, I have had your problem before (not often it has to be said) and the days are long, there's no doubt about it. But I've also been worked like a particularly disliked slave for months and months on end during busy periods and I can absolutely vouch for which problem is worse!

Help me

A lot of the more advanced Japanese manufacturers have the belief that it's better for an employee to do nothing than to do something that doesn't benefit the company just to be seen doing something.

Now, I would like to make it clear that that is not what is happening here, your boss just had money to spend and she spent it for the sake of spending it. It's the civil service for fúck sake, not Honda!
    March on in there and tell her you'll need an hour off every Friday to cash your cheque, extra payments to eat at your desk and that you must be due one or two of those increments everybody is always on about in the canteen, so you believe you don't know for sure cos you eat at your desk, except on Fridays when you go to the (now nationalised) first unicorn bank of make believe and fairy dust, to cash your imaginary cheques.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I thought this was a real thread til I got to the last line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I know people who would LOVE your job OP! ;-)

sounds awful though-couldn't imagine going in and doing nothing all day every day. How slowly the time passes!

Maybe try doing an online course while you're at work? Somethin to stick on the CV and help get you out of there!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Learn to write Computer Code. It will benefit you for the rest of your life and can be done easily in the situation you are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Colser wrote: »
    If Carlsberg made jobs......

He's working for Carlsberg...in the complaints dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Something about herbs and spices.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

fap

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

Download PDFs of Books or download audio books and listen while you "work".
    There a millions of excellent podcast out there that you could subscribe to.

Or just get into arguments on the internet.

Good idea, can you recommend any good podcasts?

biko wrote: »
    fap

I'm a girl... and I'm pretty sure that's frowned upon.. at your desk anyway ;)

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I thought this was a real thread til I got to the last line.

It is real thread ffs. I'm hired through an agency, I'm not an actual Civil Servant but the office I work in is a Public Sector office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Like I said, it's only a temporary job. I'm planning on going back to study soon. I'd quit but I can't afford to and it's good money here for doing nought!

You've answered your own question really OP .. you're in this for the money, not a career and you can't afford to quit. There are people who are piled with work and pressure in jobs they hate for money they can barely manage on but can't quit because they need that money too.

Enjoy the break while you can would be my advice because it won't last

Advertisement