Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Microsoft Band

189101113

Comments



  • Any idea what would happen if the band 2 breaks down under warranty, and they had no replacements?

    Refund




  • October 26th "Windows 10" event announced. We'll get a Surface all-in-one from Microsoft, but I'm hoping they have some third-party wearables announcement up their sleeve.




  • Impressed by MS H/W support, my band strap started splitting on Friday, booked in a check/replacement under warranty online, packed off with printed return label on Monday, replacement strap fitted to my band arrived Thursday.




  • rgfuller wrote: »
    Impressed by MS H/W support, my band strap started splitting on Friday, booked in a check/replacement under warranty online, packed off with printed return label on Monday, replacement strap fitted to my band arrived Thursday.

    read your post, thought that was good.

    looked at my band 2, discovered split.

    ffs

    edit 1 : did you get a replacement band 2 from Microsoft or was it just the strap that was changed?

    edit 2 : 10min call with Amazon UK - they'll send me a replacement which I'll have by Tuesday and I'll send them the faulty band.




  • ablelocks wrote: »
    read your post, thought that was good.

    looked at my band 2, discovered split.

    ffs

    edit 1 : did you get a replacement band 2 from Microsoft or was it just the strap that was changed?

    edit 2 : 10min call with Amazon UK - they'll send me a replacement which I'll have by Tuesday and I'll send them the faulty band.

    Nice. I thought it was new, but the serial number was the same as my original, so I believe just the rubber was replaced. Did get another charging cable back with the package which was nice. I notice you cant add a band as a device type to the MS device registration website anymore (only surfaces now).


  • Advertisement


  • MJohnston wrote: »

    Yes, it's a shame, I would purchase that immediately.




  • Hearing rumours of a Cortana wearable, apparently




  • MJohnston wrote: »
    Hearing rumours of a Cortana wearable, apparently

    Surface wearable (giving that some of the band team members are now working in that area).

    But what ever it is, I'm going to give it a pass because I'm sick of paying for Microsoft Hardware that just disappears after a while. I'm still burned from my Zune experience.




  • LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Amazon rep directly advised me to take a full refund on my Band 2. He said it was just going to happen again.

    he did offer a refund, but i only paid 104 stg for it so happy enough to take the chance on a replacement.


  • Advertisement


  • can't get my new band to pair with lumia 950 - anyone have any ideas? I did a soft reset on phone, uninstalled and reinstalled MS Band but still can't pair....




  • ablelocks wrote: »
    can't get my new band to pair with lumia 950 - anyone have any ideas? I did a soft reset on phone, uninstalled and reinstalled MS Band but still can't pair....

    Reset the band itself?




  • CatInABox wrote: »
    Reset the band itself?

    had tried that too, thanks anyway

    but got it working - had to pair through the bluetooth settings first and then in MS Band. I thought the app handled it all from start to finish...

    lets hope the strap lasts this time around...




  • ablelocks wrote: »
    had tried that too, thanks anyway

    but got it working - had to pair through the bluetooth settings first and then in MS Band. I thought the app handled it all from start to finish...

    lets hope the strap lasts this time around...

    Went through the same thing only a few weeks ago, remember trying everything over an hour to get it working again. It was not as simple as it was the first time around.




  • sigh. Strap is starting to split again. same place as the last one, which amazon replaced because the strap split.

    If i go back to amazon, the likelihood is i'll only get a refund as the only sellers are third party. I'd get a refund 104 pounds sterling. Replacing it with something similar will cost a lot more than that i'd imagine.

    Microsoft aren't supporting it either, so a replacement from them is also unlikely.

    I thought I'd use it more for exercise, but haven't yet started a training programme so it isn't used to full potential, at least for the short term,

    Would you

    keep it and try and repair it

    get the refund and buy an alternative - and if so, what are the alternatives.

    or just get the refund, forget about wearables and get a new battery for my lovely steel watch that's sitting in a drawer.




  • I've been getting Microsoft replacements for strap splits so far, but I guess it might be out of warranty now.

    My problem is that there is nothing out there on the wearables market that comes close to replicating the Band's functionality in the same form factor. The closest I can see functionality-wise is the Fitbit Surge but it's a LOT bulkier and the UI is awful. Sigh.




  • i'm just onto MS support - they're offering a refurbished replacment, and it looks like there is only 30 days warranty. Although it's hard to tell because his use of warranty terminology is confusing

    edit : might be an option of a refund from MS...

    hmm, they want me to ship them my device before they make a decision on refund or replacement. I don't want to send it to them without getting prior confirmation of a refund - it has been escalated to "management"....




  • Also if you go down the Fitbit route you are having very limited amount of data sharing unless you are good with API's or want to invest into a 3rd party solution. You are stuck with Fitbit. And it's not easy to get band into Fitbit for historical records.

    However with the new HealthVault Insight App Microsoft have started accepting 3rd party devices (via google fit or apple health) into HealthVault.

    I'm syncing my Fitbit Blaze (GPS only via the phone) via a API to Google Fit which syncs with HealthVault insight so I continue to have all data in HealthVault and have the benefit of the excellent new graphics in HealthVault insight (which if you have a band you really should check out).

    I wish Microsoft would have replaced my band instead of offering a refund, but obviously there is no more stock, so I'm now in Fitbit world.




  • ablelocks wrote: »
    sigh. Strap is starting to split again. same place as the last one, which amazon replaced because the strap split.

    If i go back to amazon, the likelihood is i'll only get a refund as the only sellers are third party. I'd get a refund 104 pounds sterling. Replacing it with something similar will cost a lot more than that i'd imagine.

    Microsoft aren't supporting it either, so a replacement from them is also unlikely.

    I thought I'd use it more for exercise, but haven't yet started a training programme so it isn't used to full potential, at least for the short term,

    Would you

    keep it and try and repair it

    get the refund and buy an alternative - and if so, what are the alternatives.

    or just get the refund, forget about wearables and get a new battery for my lovely steel watch that's sitting in a drawer.
    I'm in the same boat. I had bought mine from Microsoft - got in touch, they offered replacement if any were in stock (none were in stock), so I am awaiting a refund.

    Trying to size-up the alternatives, nothing that I can see that hits all the good points of the Band 2 in one package.

    For the time being while I await the refund, I've been using a normal watch again and it's a bit of a relief from all the notifications on your wrist (but a pain in the bum for going running / cycling as I miss my stats :D)




  • Also if you go down the Fitbit route you are having very limited amount of data sharing unless you are good with API's or want to invest into a 3rd party solution. You are stuck with Fitbit. And it's not easy to get band into Fitbit for historical records.

    However with the new HealthVault Insight App Microsoft have started accepting 3rd party devices (via google fit or apple health) into HealthVault.

    I'm syncing my Fitbit Blaze (GPS only via the phone) via a API to Google Fit which syncs with HealthVault insight so I continue to have all data in HealthVault and have the benefit of the excellent new graphics in HealthVault insight (which if you have a band you really should check out).

    I wish Microsoft would have replaced my band instead of offering a refund, but obviously there is no more stock, so I'm now in Fitbit world.
    https://www.fitnesssyncer.com/ is an option to get most of your old Band Data into Fitbit. Once you have synched it over, you could probably configure it to copy your Fitbit data back into HealthVault.


  • Advertisement


  • https://www.fitnesssyncer.com/ is an option to get most of your old Band Data into Fitbit. Once you have synched it over, you could probably configure it to copy your Fitbit data back into HealthVault.

    Yeah I used Fitnesssyncer for a while but it is slightly unreliable when getting data from Fitbit to HealthVault with sometimes workouts not copied correctly and than step counts off.

    It's a mess since Fitbit decided to withdraw healthvault support directly in their silo approach.

    The variant via google fit - healthvault insight is relative stable but has the same, sometimes the step count is off.

    I guess I might make the move out of healthvault and use tactio health permanently which works will all data. I just prefer the nice graphic view that HealthVault insight App is providing.




  • Yeah I used Fitnesssyncer for a while but it is slightly unreliable when getting data from Fitbit to HealthVault with sometimes workouts not copied correctly and than step counts off.

    It's a mess since Fitbit decided to withdraw healthvault support directly in their silo approach.

    The variant via google fit - healthvault insight is relative stable but has the same, sometimes the step count is off.

    I guess I might make the move out of healthvault and use tactio health permanently which works will all data. I just prefer the nice graphic view that HealthVault insight App is providing.
    Yeah, I really prefer the HealthVault and the Cortana Insights integration is nice.




  • Unfortunately Microsoft HealthVault is all over.

    Windows Phone has the nice new HealthVault Insights App but not a HealthVault app.
    Windows Desktop has a nice HealthVault app but no HealthVault Insight App.
    Android has the HealthVault Insight App but no HealthVault App and one has to use web.
    Church of Apple the same.

    The HealthVault Insight App is one of the best things that has come out of Microsoft for a while, the graphical representation of the activity is excellent, the ability to program habits and the automatic insights (even as you say via Cortana cross platform) are excellent.

    I have started programming my own Habits via the API to get reporting back into HealthVault.

    One can only hope that this is the start of HealthVault developing back into some cross platform.




  • eventually i found out this morning that I'm going to get a refund directly from Microsoft, but it will be another 6-8 weeks before i get it. (at $175, the refund is more than what i paid for the band, so happy enough with that.)




  • ablelocks wrote: »
    eventually i found out this morning that I'm going to get a refund directly from Microsoft, but it will be another 6-8 weeks before i get it. (at $175, the refund is more than what i paid for the band, so happy enough with that.)

    Get onto an agent immediately and ask for a Euro cheque if a refund is paid (which it will be) because you'll have massive problems cashing a USD check in Ireland. My wife had to do this and it adds a few weeks to the process, so you might want to get a head start.




  • MJohnston wrote: »
    Get onto an agent immediately and ask for a Euro cheque if a refund is paid (which it will be) because you'll have massive problems cashing a USD check in Ireland. My wife had to do this and it adds a few weeks to the process, so you might want to get a head start.
    I can second that. Went to one of the 'pillar' banks to cash my Microsoft cheque and they said that it will cost €100+ to cash it (without even looking at how much the cheque was for). After asking for a reason, was just told that it would cost over €100. Eventually the teller went off for a moment, came back and said "Yeah, it'll cost at least €100 for us to do that. Although if you go to your credit union they could do it for you".

    And they did.

    Another tip is that if you bought your Band 2 for anything more than $175 or the equivalent, be sure to chase Microsoft and ensure they refund the right amount. Luckily I still had the original receipt, so they issued a second cheque for the difference in price.



    And with that in mind: What device is everyone else going to?
    As a hold out on Windows 10 Mobile, I know my options are limited to probably Garmin or Fitbit, but neither have a truly appealing device (except maybe the Blaze, but that doesn't have built-in GPS. I really liked that feature on the Band).




  • There's nothing out there that matches the Band's capabilities, and its really disappointing. I think I'll have to go with a Fitbit as it was the fitness stuff I liked most about the Band. But I'll miss the Cortana features. And nothing on the smarter side appeals, as the fitness capabilities tend to be rubbish.

    I'm waiting.




  • Old thread I know but I thought others may be interested in the news. Microsoft is discontinuing its health services and offering refunds to 'active' users of the band 1 and 2. The band had to be sync'd in a certain time frame between Dec and 1st Mar if I recall correctly. Unsure if it's US/Canada only. I purchased my band 2 in the US and will hopefully get the full 175USD refund. An active band 1 gets you an ~80 USD refund.




  • *sigh* even after all this time, nothing has matched the Band!

    I've been using a Fitbit Ionic and it's fine, but the Microsoft device software was so good.


  • Advertisement


  • Still nothing further on this refund. It doesn't look like MS band support, or at least the department where you're redirected, has any clue what is going on. The waiting game...


Advertisement