Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone import chinese carbon bike lately?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

To be honest I'm fairly set on trying one of these Chinese carbon frames out of pure curiosity at this stage. I've been looking at them for years and there really doesn't seem to be a huge amount of frame failures in comparison to standard brands, at least from what I've read around the web. Definitely won't be made with the same materials or level of precision mind.

And I would definitely have gone with a cube frame off of bike discount (built up a MTB from one recently) except the forks for the frames where all sold out.

Thinking this: http://www.velobuild.com/2019-velobuild-design-carbon-fiber-road-frame-disc-version_p0114.html

Matte black with some small gold decals and bling and some 60mm carbon wheels.

Either way I'm not the biggest roadie around so if it's crap it's crap...as long as the steerer doesn't snap and kill me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Last year after my frame was totaled in a crash I got a Velobuild frame and transferred everything over from the crashed bike. It worked out extremely well and I have had no issues with the frame or forks. Paid €430 in total and I don't remember getting billed for any import/customs duties.

Last year after my frame was totaled in a crash I got a Velobuild frame and transferred everything over from the crashed bike. It worked out extremely well and I have had no issues with the frame or forks. Paid €430 in total and I don't remember getting billed for any import/customs duties.

how do you find the frame with regards to handling stiffness? What was the frame you had before if you dont mind me asking? better or worse? I must say chris from VB is super helpful with regards to any questions ive asked. Any bike picture btw?

how do you find the frame with regards to handling stiffness? What was the frame you had before if you dont mind me asking? better or worse? I must say chris from VB is super helpful with regards to any questions ive asked. Any bike picture btw?

Also found Chris very helpful and responded to all my questions.

I have found the bike very responsive and handling has been perfect. my previous bike was a Kuota Kryon with Ultegra kit so the new bike is a good bit lighter and probably handles better then the Kuota. When I built the new bike I used the wheels from my old bike but they started giving trouble so I ended getting an set of Zondas which really added to the performance of the bike. The reason I went with the no name frame was for a few different reasons.

1. Wanted to get a bike back on the road as cheaply as possible and use the parts off my crashed bike.
    2. Improve my maintenance skills by stripping and building a bike.
    3. I had already planned to get my "forever bike" but not until the summer 2018 and my old bike would be used by my son, was able proceed with this plan as he now has the Chinarrelo.

If you are in the Dublin area you are welcome it out.

Chinarrelo, i take it thats a pinarrelo copy? any trouble with that?

• Advertisement

Chinarrelo, i take it thats a pinarrelo copy? any trouble with that?

I think most of the velo bikes are based off big name manufacturers designs. No decals on my bike claiming it to be something it isn’t.

HTH

yeah they all seem to be using open molds, the frame i am looking at looks very like a specilized tarmac sl6. Definitely wouldnt be bothered trying to decal the bike as something its not mind, thats pure dodgy

To be honest I'm fairly set on trying one of these Chinese carbon frames out of pure curiosity at this stage. I've been looking at them for years and there really doesn't seem to be a huge amount of frame failures in comparison to standard brands, at least from what I've read around the web. Definitely won't be made with the same materials or level of precision mind.

And I would definitely have gone with a cube frame off of bike discount (built up a MTB from one recently) except the forks for the frames where all sold out.

Thinking this: http://www.velobuild.com/2019-velobuild-design-carbon-fiber-road-frame-disc-version_p0114.html

Matte black with some small gold decals and bling and some 60mm carbon wheels.

Either way I'm not the biggest roadie around so if it's crap it's crap...as long as the steerer doesn't snap and kill me :D

is it just me, or does that look very much like the new Forme Flash http://www.cdcycles.co.uk/bike-shop/Forme-Flash-2-FOR468.html

The seat stays are thicker more like the SL6 but both the forme and SL6 are very very similar, I suppose it's an open mold that a lot of brands are using and making minor alterations.

Out of interest, highwa-to-hell, you didn't use a stem and bars from velobuild?

Out of interest, highwa-to-hell, you didn't use a stem and bars from velobuild?

A stem came with the bike and I transferred the the bars from my old bike.

• Advertisement

operation guinea pig is a go :D ordered the frame, carbon saddle, and carbon aero bars. Will also get a set of chinese 88mm wheels to go with it. il try to update here with regards to quality, and il have someone ready to update for me if i die haha

right frame is pretty much built up and finished now, having one or two small issues though. Seatpost keeps slipping is issue 1, ive put loads of carbon paste on but no joy, still slips, ive tightened up as tight as i feel comfortable (definitely around the 10nm range id say) but it still slipped. It was as if the internal clamp wouldnt put enough pressure on the post. To try and bodge it ive put a bit of light sandpaper between the clamp and seatpost and tightened it as much as possible, seems much tighter but i must give a quick cycle today to see. hopefully thats sorted.

Second issue is brake judder on the front, ive a custom built set of carbon wheels with alloy brake surface (these are second hand but lightly used, i know the guy) and brand new direct mount brakes and pads. I dont think its the headset as theres no play that i can find rocking the bike back and forth but ill give that a re tighten to see, would the fact that the pads are brand new on a used brake track cause an issue? the alloy track as well is a bit odd in that it seems to be a surface of multiple tiny lines (if i run my nail over its noticeable).

Other than that its pedaling really nicely, nice and light too, although i mjst say going downhill is a bit nerve racking, all the horror stories have me expecting the bike to implode and kill me if i go over 40kph :D

Ill throw up pictures when i have it working and finished 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

right frame is pretty much built up and finished now, having one or two small issues though. Seatpost keeps slipping is issue 1, ive put loads of carbon paste on but no joy, still slips, ive tightened up as tight as i feel comfortable (definitely around the 10nm range id say) but it still slipped. It was as if the internal clamp wouldnt put enough pressure on the post. To try and bodge it ive put a bit of light sandpaper between the clamp and seatpost and tightened it as much as possible, seems much tighter but i must give a quick cycle today to see. hopefully thats sorted.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but are you certain the seat post is the correct size for the seat tube? You can shims to 'make' it fit and maybe one of these could sort the issue: https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/use-shims-for-27-2mm-sx-posts-00120551?1=-1&esvt=59244-GOIEE4218536&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1296492-1&esvwa=NISO_Seat%20Clamps%20and%20Spares_USE_No%20Year_Normal&esvwc=IE_Shopping_GEN_Components_Seat%20Clamps%20and%20Spares&esvcrea=320152418353&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvtg=pla-308722528938&esvo=00120551-324-NA&esvwm=CPC&esvws=Google&esvwt=&esvaid=50080&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7LmHte2V4QIVq5ztCh12NguFEAQYAyABEgIUB_D_BwE

Aero Seat post came with the frame, not a standard size, but yeah imo it seems like it's a bit small for the amount the clamp closes in and that's why it's slipping, I'll see if the bit of light sandpaper holds it today. I could also wrap the post in electrical tape to thicken it up I suppose. Option B

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Aero Seat post came with the frame, not a standard size, but yeah imo it seems like it's a bit small for the amount the clamp closes in and that's why it's slipping, I'll see if the bit of light sandpaper holds it today. I could also wrap the post in electrical tape to thicken it up I suppose. Option B

Whack some super glue in there..... what's the worst that could happen :P

Whack some super glue in there..... what's the worst that could happen :P

Don't tempt me :D

My experience so far with operation China bike is that, you get a lot for your money but be prepared to have to diy/bodge some niggly bits.

The bit of sandpaper seems to have worked anyway, no more slipping seatpost, or at least after 20km there was no slipping :) Need to get used to the lightness of it :)

54463190_2248256585196747_3089627854439186432_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=b4c1f2c20c7ecff33066de562cba37a9&oe=5D0DB499

54728710_2248256641863408_31316895772704768_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=a5b0362e10dd10025cbadb1dfeaa4d07&oe=5D180C95

54437390_2248256551863417_7106655245345751040_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=c60dc3fb599581f169f7965348a9a2d5&oe=5D11667F

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Other than the bar tape thats a looker, might I ask how much it was all in?

i got a great bargain on the sram red shifters and a couple of other bits so id be thinking around 1000-1500k.

Yeah im with you on the bar tape, trying to do a stealth black and gold scheme with it so i said id try it as it was going for nothing on planet x but i will be changing it. Few other bits will be upgraded as well (crankset, front derailleur is only rival so ill get that up to red or force, i think ill put some 25c tan wall vitoras on it as well but im not sure how they will turn out with the alloy braking track, some chinese carbon bottle cages). All in all i like the look of it, very similar to a tarmc sl6.

oh and i need to cut that steerer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Advertisement
Advertisement