Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying ex Wife's Car

Options
  • 29-10-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I am looking at buying my ex wife's car. It has been off the road for nearly 5 months and I am on her insurance. Now when I buy her car am I going to have to pay the last 5 months of tax that is owed. or do I just pay from the time I buy the car. Also I am on her insurance so would I need to get my own insurance or stay on her's we are still friends and she could use the car when she is well enough to use it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 glynandpam

would I need to have my own insurance as I pay that anyway and I am a named driver on it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

glynandpam wrote: »
    would I need to have my own insurance as I pay that anyway and I am a named driver on it

If you're a named driver then you are covered. But I would wager your insurance would cover you also...best make sure by calling both companies if you're not certain however.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're a named driver then you are covered. But I would wager your insurance would cover you also...best make sure by calling both companies if you're not certain however.

Not when he becomes the owner. The policy in her name will lapse because she no longer owns the car and any policy in his name will not cover him under 'driving other cars' because that clause explicitly excludes cars that you own or have hired.

He needs to take out a policy in his own name. You cannot have a situation where a car is owned and driven by A but on a policy in the name of B, regardless of who is or is not a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your insurance company will insist on the registered owner being the policy holder. So if you transfer ownership over to yourself you will need to take out an insurance policy on it in your name. However you can still add your ex-wife as a named driver on that policy if she wants to drive it now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

buying ex wifes car??

check the brakes. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

buying ex wifes car??

check the brakes. :eek:

Name change too!

Advertisement