Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winters - when are yours going on?

Options
  • 28-10-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

so I generally put mine on the Oct b/h w/e but the weather is so mild, just wondering when boardsies are putting theirs on this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

A day before I set for journey to the Continent.
    No point in putting winter tyres in Ireland unless there's snow.
    Last winter snow was here for one day in my area. And I had winter tyres on then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

No need in Ireland...we don't really get a winter worth the name usually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Waste of money in Ireland. It boggles my mind that people go through the hassle and expense of getting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Sure stick on snow chains as well :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

They have superior grip under 8 degrees - of course they're worth putting on. The only added expense is a set of steel wheels as you can only wear one set of tyres at a time.

I'm keeping an eye on the temperatures. Once it's been below 10deg for a couple of days I'll put them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

unbelievable joe, its Ireland not yukon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Why would you want winter tyres in Ireland? I came from a country where we have -25 degrees and you do need winter tyres. I drive 10 years in Ireland and I did not needed them even once.
    Unless product in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Its never once crossed my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

This all started off with a bad snow about 5 or 6 years ago and a certain tyre supplier decided he was going to try maximise his profit by a bit of scare mongering. It worked.

Winter tyres are not necessary for Irish weather. Even when it does snow the all weather tyres that are sold in Ireland are fine and up to the job as we dont get huge snow drifts and most of the main roads are gritted anyway.

If on the other hand you live in Russia or Poland or the like then maybe investing in winter tyres isnt a bad idea, but here.... no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There was a huge amount of people that literally couldn't drive in the snow during that heavy fall!! Wheel spinning, slowing down up hill, wrong gear, coming to a halt in the worst possible place etc... Maybe there's a market for them!

Not a dig at you cjmcork...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Why would you want winter tyres in Ireland? I came from a country where we have -25 degrees and you do need winter tyres. I drive 10 years in Ireland and I did not needed them even once.
    Unless product in Ireland.

but your in cork , when i was driving on snow covered roads for weeks on end in 9,10,11 cork barely had any . theres many a day im happy have winters on up here.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Probably within the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I bought them just after the snow of 2010 - I got stuck in the hard shoulder of the main Cork / Dublin road - ended up facing the wrong way and thought 'never again' - I was doing Cork/Dublin twice a week so clocking up a fair bit of mileage - not that I feel I have to justify myself - just wondering re those of you that do put on winters - when do you reckon this year ye'd be putting them on

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jeanrose770

Reading things like this brings a smile to my face knowing, there is no snow in Paradise! I will continue to drive my moto in the sunshine this winter season! Ahhhh love!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

cjmcork wrote: »
    I bought them just after the snow of 2010 - I got stuck in the hard shoulder of the main Cork / Dublin road - ended up facing the wrong way and thought 'never again' - I was doing Cork/Dublin twice a week so clocking up a fair bit of mileage - not that I feel I have to justify myself - just wondering re those of you that do put on winters - when do you reckon this year ye'd be putting them on

It's 13-15 degress tomorrow, in sligo, so I'd say you'd be grand down in cork for another while yet! For the coldest months of december, january, february your talking an average temperature of a bout 7 degrees in this country. You can only really effectively use winter tyres here by watching the forecast on a week by week basis and swapping them when you see that little cold snap coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Same day that I put the ashtray on my motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

stimpson wrote: »
    They have superior grip under 8 degrees - of course they're worth putting on. The only added expense is a set of steel wheels as you can only wear one set of tyres at a time.

I'm keeping an eye on the temperatures. Once it's been below 10deg for a couple of days I'll put them on.

It's 7 degrees, and that's mostly marketing guys talk...
    Obviously at lower temperatures winter tyres will provide better grip even on dry tarmac, but to experience real difference, you need to have really low temperature - say minus 20 degrees.

At temperatures like we get in Ireland during winter (between 5 and 10) I'd definitely say summer tyres perform better.
    At around 0, I'd say winter's start having some advantage over summer, but how many times we get those temperatures here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

CiniO wrote: »
    It's 7 degrees, and that's mostly marketing guys talk...
    Obviously at lower temperatures winter tyres will provide better grip even on dry tarmac, but to experience real difference, you need to have really low temperature - say minus 20 degrees.

At temperatures like we get in Ireland during winter (between 5 and 10) I'd definitely say summer tyres perform better.
    At around 0, I'd say winter's start having some advantage over summer, but how many times we get those temperatures here?

Autocar did a test - I'm pretty sure it's up on YouTube. They showed the stopping distance with the same car on winters and summers at a cold (but above freezing) temp. The difference was considerable.

I guess those who turn their noses up at winters also put the cheapest Chinese crap on their wheels. Who needs grip anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have 'em on already, last set of Nokian Allweathers wore out and I thought I'd try a set of full Winters for a change.
    Conti Wintercontact TS850 bought them off Oponeo and got a local guy to fit and balance the 4 for 40 euro.
    I had change out of 300 for the set, Maybe they are overkill for ireland but out in the sticks some roads never see a gritter in winter and with the roads and mileage I do, its small money for the reassurance they give.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Who says I ever took them off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

When I think winter wheels in this country I just think about swapping the good ones for a crap set to protect them while the roads are being gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I just got an mr2 as a winter daily and I'll be getting my moneys worth from the new toyo proxies just fitted by the previous owner

225/50/15 rear and 195/50/15 be grand;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

See a lot that don't bother taking winters off.

Never had them myself on any of the machines but if we ever got it bad and it continued like that then I would.

I would wait till temps fall bad so probably when gets real bad not needed yet unless night driving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

stimpson wrote: »
    I guess those who turn their noses up at winters also put the cheapest Chinese crap on their wheels. Who needs grip anyway?

That's nonsense. Just because people don't use winter tyres (in a Country that's rarely cold enough to need them) doesn't mean they're careless with regards safety. Its the same with people who have their lights on during bright clear days. Completely unnecessary and a wee bit stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Jesus. wrote: »
    That's nonsense. Just because people don't use winter tyres (in a Country that's rarely cold enough to need them) doesn't mean they're careless with regards safety. Its the same with people who have their lights on during bright clear days. Completely unnecessary and a wee bit stupid.

Lights on in day light have been proven to be safer then none on at all.

Why do you think a lot of car's now come with DRL's

Tyres are the most important piece of equipment on your car along with brakes.

Chinese sh1t should be illegal and certain proper standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wait until I start seeing threads on people careering off the road into each other or into ditches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

biko wrote: »
    I wait until I start seeing threads on people careering off the road into each other or into ditches.
    Too late by then, one of the threads may involve you!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,387 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Problem with them is that even if that on the rare occasions when they are needed when you actually go on the road to use them you will be just stuck behind the other cars who all have normal tyres :D

I would go for AWD instead, a Subaru.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

davycc wrote: »
    I just got an mr2 as a winter daily and I'll be getting my moneys worth from the new toyo proxies just fitted by the previous owner

225/50/15 rear and 195/50/15 be grand;-)

They're ****e in the wet. Unreal grip in the dry (I've never had better grip in the dry) but lots of sideways action in the wet...and that's a front wheel drive car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bridgestone Duallers AT. Mud and Snow. And flick into 4wd.

Come at me winter.

(Don't see the need for winters here. And I've used them. All terrains for the win.)

Advertisement