Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone dislike the Lord of the Rings trilogy?

Options
  • 28-10-2014 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭

I enjoy movies and my tastes are not particularly niche or hard to please but I have yet to meet another person on earth who thoroughly hated The Lord of the Rings movies as much as I did. I read the books when I was much younger and I really enjoyed them but I found the films too slapstick, cheesy, cringe-worthy and downright annoying. For example the awful moment Eowyn stabs the witch-king and says 'I AM NO MAN' in response to 'No man can kill me!'

Am I alone? Should I delete my boards account and go into hiding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Valmont wrote: »
    For example the awful moment Eowyn stabs the witch-king and says 'I AM NO MAN' in response to 'No man can kill me!'

Errmm, you're entitled to your opinion about the films, but that bit's directly from the book. Well, she says something like "But no living man am I!", but the scene is essentially identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

It's not really. The change is subtle, but the movies portray it as an end of an arc of her desiring to be a man and go riding into battle.

In the books, that change comes with Faramir while they are both convalescing later.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Sephiral wrote: »
    It's not really. The change is subtle, but the movies portray it as an end of an arc of her desiring to be a man and go riding into battle.

In the books, that change comes with Faramir while they are both convalescing later.

All true, but the scene and (almost) the line itself, which are being described as cheesy and cringe-worthy, are basically the same. My point being that there's plenty of cheese in the books already.

More broadly, the films are a '90s adaptation of elements of the books, mixing them with the demands of a different medium and the interests of modern audiences (a role or two for women, for example), but still retaining some sizeable chunks of the original. Many of the lines and sequences I've seen people object to are almost verbatim, just juggled around. Many important themes are missed out or even inverted, in favour of OTT CGI setpieces and, as the OP says, slapstick, but there's an impressive amount of Tolkien's work on the screen all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Tolkien's family hated them and they have a point. Too much action and character assassinations. Read the book it's 1000 times better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I wouldn't say I dislike them, I just don't like them either, certainly wouldn't watch them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Tolkien's family hated them and they have a point. Too much action and character assassinations. Read the book it's 1000 times better.
    I think a lot of that was down to the fact none of them got any money out of the LOTR films or Hobbit becasue Tolkien sold the copyright to them away years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, I didn't like them either. But neither did I like the books.

Gollum was realized really well, I thought, but he was the only interesting character for me. I tried watching The Hobbit recently but it was just too boring and I couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I really enjoyed the first one but after that it went down hill. The last one was poor. I read the hobbit when I was younger but not the rings.
    they elf slow (liv tyler in particular) motion shot really got on my wick,

the new hobbit is desperate. There is no character you can warm too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

Watched about 30 minutes of the first one, turned it off and never watched anymore or the rest of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Me. Vastly overrated. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I am struggling to think of a film which was better than the original book it was derived from.

However, I wouldn't say I hated the films but I couldn't help but think throughout it that if Frodo wasn't such a whingy beatch then it would have been done and dusted as a two part series rather than the trilogy it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I am struggling to think of a film which was better than the original book it was derived from.
    The Godfather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I loved them, but they left WAY too much out and focused a lot on action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I watched them all, and really didn't enjoy it. I read the first book, and The Hobbit, when I was younger. liked The Hobbit, thought LOTR was boring as Hell. Didn't bother seeing The Hobbit movie, and I probably never will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Taajsgpm

Valmont wrote: »
    I enjoy movies and my tastes are not particularly niche or hard to please but I have yet to meet another person on earth who thoroughly hated The Lord of the Rings movies as much as I did. I read the books when I was much younger and I really enjoyed them but I found the films too slapstick, cheesy, cringe-worthy and downright annoying. For example the awful moment Eowyn stabs the witch-king and says 'I AM NO MAN' in response to 'No man can kill me!'

Am I alone? Should I delete my boards account and go into hiding?

Dont delete I agree, as a big fan of movies I couldnt wait to see them. I loved the first one, it really captured my vision of the book, I disliked the rest , bored me to tears sorry folks

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

watched the trilogy three times now I think and I am sure that I could happily sit through all three of them again, it was a joy introducing my stepson to them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

I did, desperately boring children's films.

Drawn out scenes, glaring cgi, wooden acting.....hated all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Jaws, The Godfather, The Shawshank Redemption (granted that was a novella not a full length book but still) Out of Sight, The Prestige, Blade Runner, L.A. Confidential to name but a few.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

Jaws, The Godfather, The Shawshank Redemption (granted that was a novella not a full length book but still) Out of Sight, The Prestige, Blade Runner, L.A. Confidential to name but a few.

....The Birds, Psycho, Carrie, The Green Mile, Cape Fear, An Education, Kes, The Graduate, Dr. Strangelove, Silence of the Lambs, Die Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Tordelback wrote: »
    Errmm, you're entitled to your opinion about the films, but that bit's directly from the book. Well, she says something like "But no living man am I!", but the scene is essentially identical.
    Not at all - Eowyn could not have killed the Witch-King without Merry there to help her and Tolkein didn't write it as if it was the new ad for Gillette Venus razor blades.

Thanks everyone for making feel like a person again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Never saw it.
    Have it downloaded ages but never seems like time to start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I didn't like the films at all - 9 hours of people walking, even the trees walked :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I didn't like the films at all - 9 hours of people walking, even the trees walked :p

Clerks II is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Tokeins books will always surpass Jacksons rendition to film. But I see them as two different versions of the story. Original being best, films being the version that looked to make the story appeal to as large an international audience as possible.
    The scenery, the props (all made from scratch) and the soundtrack made this film series memorable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think a lot of that was down to the fact none of them got any money out of the LOTR films or Hobbit becasue Tolkien sold the copyright to them away years ago.

I thought they were to get money if the films declared a profit but due to accountancy slight of hand the studios say that the films never did
    edit: yeah looks like there is a lot of animosity and rightly deserved too
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Here-Why-Peter-Jackson-Can-t-Make-More-Tolkien-Adaptations-Even-He-Wanted-40760.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Obviously the books are better but I do love the trilogy. I think the films are beautifully done. I really want to have another LOTR marathon again soon actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

LA Confidential and Out of Sight are great books and films. Just because the film is good doesn't automatically mean it's better than the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I enjoyed the at the time but I watched the extended boxset recently and it was just too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The first one and most of the 2nd are excellent.

Parts of the 2nd and most of the 3rd are pretty bad.

They're bad for a lot of the same reasons that the Hobbit films are - an overabundance of cheese, an overeliance on CGI and bad pacing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can't say I'm a fan.

I tried - I really did :) - but I kept switching off the first one about the point they get to the elves.. it was just boring and while I'm a sci-fi fan, fantasy isn't my thing. [heresy] I didn't like the Terry Pratchett books either as a kid [/heresy] :p

Of course with them being on Sky every 5 minutes at the time I did eventually see (most) of all 3 but aside from the visual effects which were very impressive, the whole story did nothing for me and the Sam/Frodo "bromance" was just cringe-worthily awkward at times.

Would not watch again - didn't even bother with the spin-offs.

Advertisement