Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Month's Paid Holiday

Options
  • 28-10-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

Due to the fact I've continually avoided taking holidays over the past couple of years in work, I've been told by work I have 24 days holiday I need to take between now and the 31st March; this is excluding Christmas. It basically means I can take the whole of January off to go travelling.

Has anyone any good ideas about where to go? The chances of this coming up again are pretty slim to say the least. So far I'm thinking of splitting the month between Bangladesh and Nepal, has anyone any experience of these places?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Have you visited your mother lately?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sierra Leone is lovely in January

You lucky bastard.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd spend the month looking into other employment opportunities if you only have 24 days to take having taken no holidays for years. I recall having over 60 days built up many years back but I had 29 per year to pull from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I'd spend the month looking into other employment opportunities if you only have 24 days to take having taken no holidays for years. I recall having over 60 days built up many years back but I had 29 per year to pull from.

Agreed. Statutory holiday entitlement for somebody in full time employment is 20 days per year. But then we don't know your situation.

In saying that I hear there are great deals on flights to certain African countries at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd love a go on one of those freighters that take passengers, go to China or Argentina or somewhere, love the high seas but the idea of a cruise ship appals me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Went to Sri Lanka a while ago and loved it! Lovely island and a good lot to do, only draw back is not too may other solo travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

kneemos wrote: »
    Have you visited your mother lately?

Seeing her Christmas and she was over to London last month. No fear of her.

Srameen,

I'm entitled to 32 holidays a year but I've accumulated a good few and I've generally avoided ever taking personal days here and there. It's my dream job at the moment and I couldn't be happier. I work pretty much exclusively with Bengalis so it'd be a great opportunity to go there and see the place first hand. Also in fairness, I've managed to get away for a week here and there and in the past 2 years have been to the USA, Cuba, Morocco and Palestine. I just never took my full allotment and they carried over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Are you single? Any kids?
    If no to both then I'd say go for it. Probably wouldn't go to the countries you listed but what I would do is go to the States and buy an old muscle car. Then drive it from Chicago to L.A - route 66 baby ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Tzardine wrote: »
    Agreed. Statutory holiday entitlement for somebody in full time employment is 20 days per year. But then we don't know your situation.

In saying that I hear there are great deals on flights to certain African countries at the moment.

Yeah but in some companies you cant carry over holidays so if you don't use them you loose them. I know in my company they will only allow you carry over a certain amount of holidays and they either have to be used up within the first week or 2 of the new year or used for a certain reason like your wedding or something similar.

I can never understand how people don't use up their holiday entitlement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I was the same at one point OP - rarely took holidays (was single at the time and working shifts so most of my social life was in work), and built-up basically a month.

Manager came down one day and told me to go home and not come back for 2 weeks :p

Bout 3 years ago I'd built up a load of days again (albeit for different reasons this time) and what I did there was just take Fridays and Monday off for 2 months.. long weekend every weekend FTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

In my job, you get 21 days holiday and you can carry over a maximum of three days into the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Few years back I was working for a company and accrued 11 weeks holidays.

I couldn't really take them and holidays were still accruing. Ended up just getting paid for them in two cheques.

Take all my holidays now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I built up my holidays and had to take them before December so I was off the week before last and will be off the week after next too. I'm trying to figure out where, within a 4 hour flight and subject to certain conditions, will be the hottest place I can go lie by a pool for a few days.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

kylith wrote: »
    I built up my holidays and had to take them before December so I was off the week before last and will be off the week after next too. I'm trying to figure out where, within a 4 hour flight and subject to certain conditions, will be the hottest place I can go lie by a pool for a few days.

Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Tzardine wrote: »
    I hear there are great deals on flights to certain African countries at the moment.
    That's true,the flights home cost a fortune :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'd love a go on one of those freighters that take passengers, go to China or Argentina or somewhere, love the high seas but the idea of a cruise ship appals me.

time for a career change? become a pirate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

--LOS-- wrote: »
    time for a career change? become a pirate

Allergic to parrots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Bettystown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Friend of mine was in Nepal and loved it - he was into hiking and climbing, but not that seriously.

Don't know if you could entertain yourself for two weeks unless you were into that also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Im working shift work at the moment, 4 days on 4 days off.

I plan my nights out/activities for these 4 days days off then that leaves me with all of my annual leave to take. I generally take a month off and get fat. 1st week I go on a holiday then have 3 weeks to chill out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

FTA69 wrote: »
    Due to the fact I've continually avoided taking holidays over the past couple of years in work, I've been told by work I have 24 days holiday I need to take between now and the 31st March; this is excluding Christmas. It basically means I can take the whole of January off to go travelling.

I'd take 20 of the days in January/February (4 working weeks) and head off inter-railing around Europe.

Then I'd take the remaining 4 days at the end of March (making sure to return to work on the Friday) and head off again somewhere hot so I'd still have something to look forward to when I came back from the long break.

Lucky basterd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Embrace your culture ,
    Get yourself to your nearest early opening house ,
    Find a nice comfortable high stool at the bar not too near the front door and not to far from the toilet door ,
    A stool which provides the best vantage point of the T.V.
    Somewhere near the till if at all possible,

24 days should be enough time, After which you'll be an expert on all things , And never again be stuck for words or an option in any social setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

FTA69 wrote: »
    Due to the fact I've continually avoided taking holidays over the past couple of years in work

What?
    You have avoided taking holidays???
    Weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I've travelled most of the world.
    What kind if experience are you looking for?

Other worldy feeling?

Friendly locals?

Nice weather?

Entertaining daily activities?

World famous sites??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I don't have a clue what you enjoy, or what you hate, based on a lot of experience, and visiting a number of different places, if I had a month "spare", and the cash to do it, I'd be going back to Namibia, and spending that month enjoying relaxing and watching big game, either in the parks, or just out in the open.

There are a number of different options, we hired a camping 4 x 4 and spent some time using it, and some time in either hotels or game park resorts, and it was one of the best holidays we've had in close on 40 years. Some of the camping sites were remote in the extreme, literally one or 2 parking spots at the side of the road, many miles from anything remotely like civilisation, and at them it was a case of put up the tents (mounted on the roof), light the barbeque, cook and eat a meal, and then enjoy the isolation, and the views of the skies. Spending time at water holes in the game parks, just watching the wildlife, was also so different from anything we'd done before, and while we had an itinerary, it was flexible enough that if we wanted to spend a number of hours at a place, it didn't mess up the plans for the rest of the holiday.

That said, it may be pretty warm there in the early part of the year, as that's summer for that part of the world, we were there in October.

It wasn't massively expensive, and in 3 weeks of travelling all over the country (it's as big as Dublin to Rome distance wise) we never felt at risk, even in the largest towns.

Might not appeal, but as you asked..................

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Will they allow you take the leave in one big chunk like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

kylith wrote: »

Canary islands will be hottest. Malta is another option. I despised the Canaries, myself. I'm trying to take a short, hot holiday between March - May next year and Malta's looking like the most viable and appealing option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Lucky bastard is great at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Went to Sri Lanka a while ago and loved it! Lovely island and a good lot to do, only draw back is not too may other solo travellers

Did you visit the killing fields while you were there?

Advertisement