Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rules of the road query

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

well now, which is more important PEOPLE or ANIMALS?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its quite surprising the amount of damage done to a vehicle if you hit even a medium sized animal.

But you don't want to cause a pile up because a squirrel runs across the road in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

biko wrote: »
    In countries where there are large deer and moose there are different techniques but for here it's probably a dog or cat, maybe a sheep that'll get in your way.

I know what you mean in general, but there's plenty of large deer in Ireland, just not as many as in some countries - on certain roads they can be very common.

Just over a year ago a car travelling about 300m in front of me hit a large deer on the N4 between Sligo and Boyle.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@54.0156484,-8.2964419,3a,75y,282.48h,84.78t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9ru7xI-rPYP1wGP9yJqWaA!2e0

The car was most certainly a write-off, and if there had been a front seat passenger they would have been either maimed or killed by an antler that came through the windscreen.

Some in the family hit a sheep did a lot of damage to the front of the car. I've had a dog run into the front wing and but a large dent in it. I've had a deer jump the bonnet in the park. its really not that uncommon. Tailgating I see almost every time I'm in the car. Had one this morning, about a meter off the bumper as she waved around her mobile for some reason, or put a coat on or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

beauf wrote: »
    He is right....

The scammer was dumb doing the same thing a hundred times in the same place with 100's of eye witnesses and CCTV.

You'll never have this usually, and usually its is the person behinds fault. I don't understand your reason for trying to normalize a bad driving habit of driving too close.

You're thinking the scammer is right to do what he did? Would you advocate slamming on for no good reason to get compo? Please let me know where you drive, so I can avoid that county. I don't like sharing the road with dangerous lunatics.
    You should go out and do it then. I would also advocate that you replace your brakelights with blown bulbs, so the other car has even less warning. Then hop on the brakes at 100 km/h for no reason.
    It is law in most countries, slamming on for imaginary mice or even no reason at all in order to cause a crash or maybe because you are seeing things will have you partially responsible.
    As for proving it, when you say "But I saw a pink elephant!" and the other driver says "He slammed on for absolutely no reason" and you can't produce said elephant, it looks bad for you on a credibility level.
    If you want to put your theory to the test, I would suggest getting yourself in front of a cop car, slam on and then lecture the cops on being able to stop. Please have a dash cam and post the footage. We all need a good laugh.

• Advertisement

That was obviously a bit hard to read.

He (BlatentCheek) is right...
    Almost impossible to prove.....

I don't really get why you think a mouse, or elephant is a likely scenario. or how law being different in another country helps you here.

Whatever about a car pulling across in front, then driving off,or dog or deer, sheep not stopping to prove why a driver stopped. There will be rubber on the road from braking (ABS incl) that will clearly show the distance between the cars, and the speed you were at, and thus if you were an appropriate separation distance apart.

Advertisement