Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! I've plastic on my iron....

Options
  • 27-10-2014 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

...and no, that ain't a euphemism!

Good people of AH, I've managed to burn on the remnants of a refuse sack onto the reliable family iron whilst in the process of doing laundry this bank holiday Monday. (There's a spider creation up on the ceiling with black legs cut from refuse sacks hanging down, I inadvertently stumbled unplugging the iron and it caught one of the stands. Hey and behold, I've black plastic now smothered all over it).

So a kids Halloween decoration has ruined my domestic bliss :rolleyes: Any tips on how to remove the plastic? I've obviously unplugged the thing and left it to cool but i'm not sure how to clean it off. Or am I doomed to fork out €50 for a new one? T'was a really good iron too :/

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Let it cool then scrape it off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Stick it in the washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Stheno wrote: »
    Let it cool then scrape it off

Nooooo :pac:

You'll ruin the ironing plate that way if you scrape it. It won't run smoothly over your clothes any more and material residue will build up in the scraped grooves.

Here's what you want OP -

http://www.ehow.com/how_4457230_clean-melted-plastic-steam-iron.html?dmsp=manual

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

diluted white vinegar on old cloth and cold iron.
    or from elsewhere.

Step 1 - Set the Iron On The Correct Setting

The first thing you will do is set your iron to the warm setting. Let it sit for a minute to get up to temperature. Keep an eye on the plastic and you will see it become sticky and soft. It will be ready to start the removal process.
    Step 2 - Scraping Off the Plastic

Use your metal spatula to very gently scrape off the plastic. You will want to take care not to scratch your iron. Just remove all you can without scraping very hard. You are trying to remove the bulk of the plastic at this point. You can use a plastic spatula if that is all you have on hand, but work quickly so you do not melt more plastic onto the iron. After you have removed large pieces, work on the smaller debris.
    Step 3 - Removing Particles and Debris

Unplug your iron. Place ice cubes and water in a small pan. Let it get very cold. Sit the iron in the pan being sure that just the base of the iron with the plastic is sitting in the water. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the remaining plastic to freeze. Remove from the water and scrape again with the spatula to remove the rest of the debris.

When completely dry, plug in again on a medium setting and allow it to come up to temperature.
    Step 4 - Removing the Film

Even though the plastic is gone, there may still be a thin film that can ruin your clothes. Run the iron over an old cloth to remove the film. If you see that nothing is coming off of the iron, it has all been removed. If not, keep ironing on the old cloth, and turn it over to iron the other side to be sure it is all gone. Your iron will be good as new. You will just need to take care to check for stuck on debris from this point to be sure you don't ruin any clothing.
    Step 5 - Maintenance

An easy way to be sure that you don't have anything like this happen again with your clothes iron is to keep wax paper and an old cloth by your ironing board at all times. Before you put the iron to fabric, run the iron over the piece of wax paper, and then over an old cloth. Anything stuck on your iron, no matter how small, will be removed before you ruin your clothes.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-remove-melted-plastic-from-a-clothes-iron#ixzz3HMCrM6IK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Plug iron back on on highest setting it will burn off,simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Melt it off with an iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Plastic bags making all the headlines today!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's gonna take some vigorous rubbing before that comes off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Recycle the plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Let it cool completely then the plastic will harden and scrape off. Don't use a knife to scrape it though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Melt it off with an iron.

And a plastic scraper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I've heard of this happening to a friend of mine.
    Poor sod, basically she left the iron next to her hair brush and it got stuck to the iron.
    She then tried to remove it with a plastic knife, knife broke in half and now there were marks on the iron as well as plastic.
    Poor thing was getting even more scared now so she went to the local church to have an auld pray about it.
    She ended up having an epiphany and she ran home and got the iron.
    Once she got it she hopped into the car and drove as fast as possible to the Cliffs of Moher and proceeded to throw the iron off of the cliff.
    Feeling like she had been had she got back into her car and drove back home. Traumatised that she had lost her beloved iron.
    Days later while she was still sobbing to herself she heard a knock on the door.
    Opened it to find no one there. She looked down and there was her iron..... the weirdest part? There was no plastic :eek:

Basically just fcuk it into the bin and buy a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I accidentally stumbled on a website that lets you search for solutions for scenarios such as you describe.

Can't for the life of me remember the name of it now, Boggle or Woogle or something.

I accidentally stumbled on a website that lets you search for solutions for scenarios such as you describe.

Can't for the life of me remember the name of it now, Boggle or Woogle or something.

www.startuselesssh1tthreadsonah.ie

That's it I think.

If white spirits can't clean it forget it,is my motto.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Wiggle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

I've obviously unplugged the thing and left it to cool but i'm not sure how to clean it off.

Easy fix..........Heat iron to a mid heat, and iron a brown paper bag, or such like paper. Once the plastic is warm enough to melt, it will be taken off by the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Thanks for the constructive suggestions guys. It's an expensive Morphy Richards iron that doesn't belong to me so i'd rather not have to buy a new one for the present owner if I can get the plastic off it myself! :eek:

Am off to try and remove the damage now. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the constructive suggestions guys. It's an expensive Morphy Richards iron that doesn't belong to me so i'd rather not have to buy a new one for the present owner if I can get the plastic off it myself! :eek:

Who's that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Allow to cool fully then hack off the plastic with an axe. If you have no axe, use a hatchet. Axe is faster. In South America, when this happens, the indigenous people use a parang or machete, but I doubt you have one of them. If it is a genuine Morphy Richards, you'll need to use the axe, a hatchet won't touch them. Tough irons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

You're not doomed. If it's still sticking, you can get some solvent from a paint shop - that will dislodge gunk........But Iron the paper to make sure everything that's going to come off has come off before you iron some clothes.

I have done all this myself. I can't remember what got on the iron....glue or something like it. Or just the usual of letting a hot iron down too long on an ironing board. .......Usually that's how people get burned plastic on their iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

what you need is damp rice,
    place this on the ironing board and then with the iron on,
    start ironing the rice.
    the damp rice will remove the plastic from the iron.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pidgeoneyes

God everyone's so helpful, in AFTER HOURS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Go out to the shed an get the biggest hammer you can find. Get a good quality black plastic bag too. Put the iron on the lowest setting. You may need to open a window as there will probably be fumes. Wait about 5 minutes until the iron gets up to temperature. Once it's up to temperature take the hammer and hit the iron as hard as you can, over and over again while screaming at the top of your voice. Pick up all the pieces and put them into the black plastic bag. Put this in the dustbin.

Stupid irons. It's the only way they learn.

For those of you following this thread with eager anticipation I'm happy to report a succesfull operation. Mr Morphy Richards is now back in the hotpress where he belongs, albiet without melted plastic all over his metal facade. A bit of ironing onto paper and gentle peeling did the trick. :D

/happy thread ending

Now to open that bottle of Pino Grigio from Centra.....

For those of you following this thread with eager anticipation I'm happy to report a succesfull operation. Mr Morphy Richards is now back in the hotpress where he belongs, albiet without melted plastic all over his metal facade. A bit of ironing onto paper and gentle peeling did the trick. :D

/happy thread ending

Now to open that bottle of Pino Grigio from Centra.....

All's well that irons well.

kneemos wrote: »
    All's well that irons well.

Indeed. Had to iron out all the creases of the steamy situation :)

rameire wrote: »
    what you need is damp rice,
    place this on the ironing board and then with the iron on,
    start ironing the rice.
    the damp rice will remove the plastic from the iron.

And you can enjoy the tasty hot snack after all the hard work.

• Advertisement

Now how to open that bottle of Pino Grigio from Centra?

You'll need an iron and a plastic bag.

Advertisement