Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zero/Low Calorie Sauces

Options
  • 26-10-2014 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey was just wondering if anyone had any reccomendations and links/locations of where to buy sauces that were low calorie and zero calorie.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Frank's Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce is effectively 0 calories. You can get it in Tesco, among other places, and it's good ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Resurrecting this thread instead of creating a new one:-
    anyone have any recommendations for zero (or near zero) condiments? Salsa, etc.

French's mustard is near zero AFAIK and available here but lashing that on my Turkey and brown rice isn't really appetizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Diceicle wrote: »
    French's mustard is near zero AFAIK and available here but lashing that on my Turkey and brown rice isn't really appetizing.

If I wanted a sauce for turkey and brown rice I'd be inclined to just make a curry, tbh. Make it from scratch and it can be fat-free.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    If I wanted a sauce for turkey and brown rice I'd be inclined to just make a curry, tbh. Make it from scratch and it can be fat-free.

Thanks, that's certainly something I can look into and a good idea - though I'm looking for (effectively) calorie free / negligible calorie food. Certainly Curry Paste/Stock/Garlic/ Ginger/Fish Sauce combo might fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Resurrecting this thread instead of creating a new one:-
    anyone have any recommendations for zero (or near zero) condiments? Salsa, etc.

What's the point in looking for a zero calorie sauce, to then go and lash it on a load of rice?
    You could probably have whatever sauce you want. Just adjust portion of rice/meat to maintain calories.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    What's the point in looking for a zero calorie sauce, to then go and lash it on a load of rice?

I'm in week one of working with an online coach and this is the meal-plan I'm on right now. As part of that I eat (for example) 160g Turkey Mince, 0.5 cup Brown Rice, and some broccoli for lunch. Need some sauce so it doesn't feel like I'm eating saw-dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm in week one of working with an online coach and this is the meal-plan I'm on right now. As part of that I eat (for example) 160g Turkey Mince, 0.5 cup Brown Rice, and some broccoli for lunch. Need some sauce so it doesn't feel like I'm eating saw-dust.

Are all of their meals as appetising?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's nothing magic about turkey, rice, broccoli.
    It's very easy to drop 5g of cooked rice for a few spoons of salsa. It will have zero effects of your results.

But the fact they even plan a meal are terrible as that would make me question how good the entire plan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skippy123!

JCPT wrote: »
    Hey was just wondering if anyone had any reccomendations and links/locations of where to buy sauces that were low calorie and zero calorie.

Many thanks in advance.

What I usually do is place a tomato puré into a shaker (half of tube) and mix it with water fully. In that I trow a lot of spices (dry spices don't really have calories) and cook the food in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

skippy123! wrote: »
    What I usually do is place a tomato puré into a shaker (half of tube) and mix it with water fully. In that I trow a lot of spices (dry spices don't really have calories) and cook the food in it.

Sounds rank.

Would you not just use Passata or tin of chopped tomatoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The likes of Philadelphia Lightest can be added to dishes to make a creamy sauce for very little calories. You don’t need much to get the effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Jaysus, if all the meals are like sawdust then you have no chance of sticking to it. Surely they give you a sauce recommendation as well as that would be like eating dried cardboard !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I only really use sauces on salads*. MyProtein, and Bulk Powders have some sauces. I got the Sweet Chilli and it was grand on a salad, but I didn't think it was worth the calorie saving v cost. Franks Hot Sauce I use a fair bit. Also, salsa is pretty low calorie too.

*For cooking I tend to just use chopped tomatoes or passata, and spices.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭paul7g

Mellor wrote: »
    There's nothing magic about turkey, rice, broccoli.
    It's very easy to drop 5g of cooked rice for a few spoons of salsa. It will have zero effects of your results.

But the fact they even plan a meal are terrible as that would make me question how good the entire plan is.

This...

I used to make the same mistake for years... trying to completely eliminate any form of “bad” food and sauces from my diet to maximise my results... i.e - “get ripped”.

The reality is, that your macro intake determines your result, and not what is in your meal as such.

For example, and to look at the opposite of what you are trying to do... I know many people who are “ripped” and fit, as they train hard and stick to their macros... so they take in the perfect amount of protein, carbs and fats and obtain their desired results... BUT... the source of food that they use to take in their macros is horrendous from a nutrition point of view. They will happily buy processed packets of ham and other cheap processed foods that have little to no nutrition, however they stay within their macro intake. They might even have a packet of crisps and a pint, and just note the macro intake so they balance it out.

So my point is... in order to maintain a healthy diet, you have to look at both your macros and nutrition. I’m not suggesting that you start counting your macros, but just be aware that you are putting a little sauce on your meal that might have a little more fat than you would like... so balance your fat intake elsewhere and / or reduce the amount of rice if the calories are too high for your meal.

I have a trick that I use when it comes to sauces. Instead of pouring or mixing your sauce in or over your meal, just put it in a small dish or bowl on the side and just dip each mouthful into it. You will only consume 1/4 of the amount of sauce that you would use if you mixed it into your entire meal or rice.

Advertisement