Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Long Didn't Read

Options
  • 25-10-2014 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

I propose that "too long didn't read" become a bannable post under the sacred AH charter for any thread whereby the OP posts less than 600 words in their OP.

Why has it not been banned thus far? hmmm well!?

Isn't this AH! A place for the great minds of the interweb to congregate and bash out ideas through slapstick social commentary for the betterment of society!?

I don't want to be part of an AH where this phrase is allowed when other hilarious classics have been banned. It does nothing but dumb down the quality of threads here and perpetuate an environment where dumb people who have nothing to say are given a voice, much like the media airing the voice of dumb celebrities constantly.

Who listened to the voice of dumb people 50 years ago? No one. Only the intelligent and great could have an audience.

Should posting "Too Long Didn't Read" in threads of <600 words be banned? 35 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    34% 12 votes
    Damn, Minty I love your minty bubbles <3
    54% 19 votes
    Too long didn't read, Atari Jaguar
    11% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

tldr

• Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Macavity. wrote: »
    tldr

Tl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

tldr

Too obvious..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I completely agree. it adds nothing to discussion and is a form of derailing in my opinion. it's also extremely rude and brings the tone of the forum down considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

So that's what it stands for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

How bout this, RIWID, Read it, wish I didnt. Any better?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Birneybau wrote: »
    Tl

°

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Increase sensitivity of mouse wheel, sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Part of after hours is also being a smart arse. Are we going to ban every snarky reply to a thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Wurly wrote: »
    I completely agree. it adds nothing to discussion and is a form of derailing in my opinion. it's also extremely rude and brings the tone of the forum down considerably.

This is after hours, and for the most part with notable exceptions it's all about bringing the tone down, the are quite enough of other forums were the more serious discussions can be debated, leave our After hours alone...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Shut up.

ian87 wrote: »
    Too obvious..

Yeah, but too hard to resist.

I don't have a problem with tldr, it can be used humorously in the OP if used correctly as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Part of after hours is also being a smart arse. Are we going to ban every snarky reply to a thread?
    realies wrote: »
    This is after hours, and for the most part with notable exceptions it's all about bringing the tone down, the are quite enough of other forums were the more serious discussions can be debated, leave our After hours alone...

Sometimes a joke just isn't funny. The crux of the matter is why are the classic replies banned and this dull sh*t permitted?

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Sometimes a joke just isn't funny. The crux of the matter is why are the classic replies banned and this dull sh*t permitted?

A joke not being funny is subjective though. Something you hate might not be what someone else hates. Just ban all the stuff you find dull in after hours is that what you are asking?

A joke not being funny is subjective though. Something you hate might not be what someone else hates. Just ban all the stuff you find dull in after hours is that what you are asking?

No, I'm asking for tl/dr to be banned for thread less than 600 words, thought that was obvious :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

That's ridiculous Minty, it should be 601 words. Or anything below 603. 604 would be pushing it altogether.

Shut up.

Go read a book.

Yeah but my point is, it adds nothing to a discussion. At all. So why have it there. It's boring tbh!

Go read a book.

And you go sing a song :-)

That's ridiculous Minty, it should be 601 words.

Tolerance of +/-5 words at the Mods discretion. How about that for a compromise?

• Advertisement

And you go sing a song :-)

Oh wow. Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Oh wow. Brilliant!

<3

No, I'm asking for tl/dr to be banned for thread less than 600 words, thought that was obvious :p

This is what happens when I break my own rule, promised myself I wouldn't argue on the internet. In for a penny.

So now there are conditions to it being banned? Are people going to have to do a word count on posts before it's acceptable to start taking the piss? "Oh no it's 600 words long lads, better leave it to the professionals."

Yeah but my point is, it adds nothing to a discussion. At all. So why have it there. It's boring tbh!

In this age of rush rush sometimes, well for me, especially on a bank holiday weekend Saturday night, a long maybe intresting thread is just to long to read, then that's imo what it is.

This is what happens when I break my own rule, promised myself I wouldn't argue on the internet. In for a penny.

So now there are conditions to it being banned? Are people going to have to do a word count on posts before it's acceptable to start taking the piss? "Oh no it's 600 words long lads, better leave it to the professionals."

There was always a condition from the get-go. It's in the poll. Check if you don't believe me.

Alright, you got me. I secretly wrote a code that counts words in an Op and will ban "tl/dr" replies. I was gonna sell it to the CEO vice chairman president for 25 millions.

In this age of rush rush sometimes, well for me, especially on a bank holiday weekend Saturday night, a long maybe intresting thread is just to long to read, then that's imo what it is.

And that's grand. Why post TL:DR though? So some posts for some people are too long. Why notify the rest of the thread about it. Why just not bother saying anything or reading the post if you don't want to?

TL;DR just isn't funny. it's been done to death and I can't see what it adds to any subject being discussed.

There was always a condition from the get-go. It's in the poll. Check if you don't believe me.

Alright, you got me. I secretly wrote a code that counts words in an Op and will ban "tl/dr" replies. I was gonna sell it to the CEO vice chairman president for 25 millions.

Oh my god it works, you'll be rich Minty! :pac:

Oh wow. Brilliant!

It funny cos you mod the singing forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

ian87 wrote: »
    Too obvious..

Too Obvious Didn't Read.

• Advertisement

It funny cos you mod the singing forum.

Yeah, I get the reference alright. I just didn't think it was the most amazing joke i'd ever heard.;)

Advertisement