Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic comments allowed on Facebook

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

So, we can say "queer" online, because it's us, and other people can't?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

So, we can say "queer" online, because it's us, and other people can't?

Much like in real life, whether the use of certain words is offensive or not depends very much in context.

Don't let that get in the way of your faux outrage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I'm all for freedom of speech as long as what they are saying is correct and not made up bull**** to spread hatred. The reason I reported the comment was not because he called the guy a queer. It was because he associated HIV/AIDS with homosexuality. Same way as a lot of posters on the same page (Mirror) were associating paedophillia with homosexuality. A lot of my friends are gay and they aren't paedophiles.

Chris___ wrote: »
    I'm all for freedom of speech as long as what they are saying is correct and not made up bull**** to spread hatred. The reason I reported the comment was not because he called the guy a queer. It was because he associated HIV/AIDS with homosexuality. Same way as a lot of posters on the same page (Mirror) were associating paedophillia with homosexuality. A lot of my friends are gay and they aren't paedophiles.

You were on the Mirror's Facebook page?

Well then that there is your bigger problem.

floggg wrote: »
    Much like in real life, whether the use of certain words is offensive or not depends very much in context.

Don't let that get in the way of your faux outrage though.

there was no outrage regardless, but feel free to repeat the Boards.ie phrase of the month if you like.

if people are to be punished for using words outside of permissible contexts, I feel we are getting a little too close to thought crimes for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

Does "thought crime" have any place outside of discussions of government censorship? Should private groups (I am including companies, social network sites, forums like Boards, etc. in that) not be allowed decide for themselves what kind of speech they wish to allow in their communities?

Or has this conversation moved into the general area of laws?

there was no outrage regardless, but feel free to repeat the Boards.ie phrase of the month if you like.

if people are to be punished for using words outside of permissible contexts, I feel we are getting a little too close to thought crimes for my liking.

What phrase of the month would that be? I guessed I missed that portion of the "liberal agenda".

And what punishment exactly is being discussed?

Firstly, there was no censorship by Facebook.

Secondly a private social network refusing to allow posts which may be considered offensive or contrary to its policies isn't punishment in the slightest. Its a civil matter and will ultimately be decided by what's best for Facebook business.

This thought crime stuff is hyperbolic nonsense.

I actually agree with you that there shouldn't be any censorship in this case, but the idea that you should be able to say whatever you like regardless of the consequences is just naive in the extreme.

unless there is a direct threat to someone in particular, i can't see that individuals should have their speech curtailed. you are allowed to be a homophobic asshole.

unless there is a direct threat to someone in particular, i can't see that individuals should have their speech curtailed. you are allowed to be a homophobic asshole.

On a private site, then its up to the operators.

You can't name call here for example. There's no curtailing of speech, just the operators deciding on a business model (a polite discussion board).

floggg wrote: »
    On a private site, then its up to the operators.

You can't name call here for example. There's no curtailing of speech, just the operators deciding on a business model (a polite discussion board).

I understand that. that's up to the operators. this thread is lamenting the fact that the operators of Facebook decided it was fine. i happen to agree with them.

and I generally favour people being allowed to say what they please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Facebook don't care about reports unless multiple people are reporting it. I bet those replies are even automated. I think it was last week that a young women received rape and death threats for a movie review and when she reported it she got the same reply as OP.
    She then brought the screencapped images of the threats and FB's reply to her twitter followers and it created a minor movement that resulted in FB contacting her and apologising for not screening the content properly.

Advertisement