Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever gone to extreme measures in order to avoid something/someone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Reminds me of my best mate. We'd often forge notes to sign out of school or to cover a day we missed. At the start of 5th year, he brought in a note from his mum to cover a Friday he missed. The note like all our notes was forged and as usual, they always passed the highest scrutiny.

Anyway, the teacher reads my best mate's note and her face goes white. The teaches calls my mate outside the class, eventually both come back in and everything continues as normal. I assumed he said someone died in the note and thought nothing of it. A couple of days later, the Principal interrupts our class and calls my mate outside. About 10 minutes later, my mate comes in, gathers his books and bag. Looks at me and says "That's me fúcked now." and off he goes.

After school I called straight to his house and asked him Wtf happened? And then he tells me. When he handed the teacher the note on the Monday morning, he wanted to have an excuse that would cover him for the school year. An excuse that would keep teachers of his back and cover all angles. So he decided to forge a note in his mother's hand writing. Telling them that her son was very sick, yes apparently he had cancer. He was terminally ill and the doctors didn't know how long he had left. So when he handed the note to the teacher, the teacher goes white, called him outside to offer her support and express her sorrow.

But what my genius mate didn't factor in was, the teacher notifying all her colleagues. And several days later the Principal ringing his mum to offer his support, apologised for not knowing her son was sick and not realising he had little time left. Needless to say his life became a living hell for the rest of that year. And how I loved bringing that up in my bestman speech a few years ago.:D

:/
    Was he a bit slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

In my old school in German class every friday we would have to present something to the class or recite something or whatever and it was a double german. I was so terrified of public speaking I would sit in the bathrrom for almost two hours every friday just so I didnt have to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

73Cat wrote: »
    When we first moved in together, a friend of himself took to calling every Saturday evening. He wasn't a bad chap, just tended to outstay his welcome, to the point of having to be led to the door to leave on one occasion. We took to turning out the lights, and making it look like we weren't home, when we saw his car. Great fun with a mad toddler, remember hiding behind sofa with her, telling her we were playing hide and seek! Mental looking back on it!

I used to do that as well. It was a friend of a friend who had serious mental health issues and would stay for days at a stretch if you let him in the door. Think Father Stone from Father Ted and you wouldn't be far off! Usually I'd spot him coming and pretend not to be in.

Only, one time as I was doing the garden, I saw him passing along the footpath so I dived into a large hydrangea bush. I could hear his footsteps on the gravel driveway and heard him ringing the doorbell before the footsteps started moving away once more. I was congratulating myself on my cunning plan until the branches parted and there he was looking down at me. I stammered out some sort of lame excuse and was stuck with him for the rest of the day. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I usually avoid dodgy areas in the daytime by going to the town centre

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

I try to avoid my husband as he has turned into a pain in the neck, so a long walk most mornings or a bike ride until he gets his sorry arse out of bed and out of the house does me just fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Not me but my brothers best friend. Ended up getting kicked out of uni for a year and just didnt tell his parents. He drove from Derry to Belfast and back every Monday - Friday for a whole school year. Spent his days playing Xbox in his friends student house. He went back and finished his degree the following year - graduated last summer. Still too afraid to tell his ma and da!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Not me but my brothers best friend. Ended up getting kicked out of uni for a year and just didnt tell his parents. He drove from Derry to Belfast and back every Monday - Friday for a whole school year. Spent his days playing Xbox in his friends student house. He went back and finished his degree the following year - graduated last summer. Still too afraid to tell his ma and da!

Jaysus that's extreme. What was his explanation for the extra year in college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Lalealea

No, not personally.

But a friend of mine was going to a wedding where there was someone he did not want to be recognized by was going as a guest also. He grew a beard and it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Crossed the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

ooh. I bought a one way ticket to anywhere else and stayed there for six months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I've hidden under my desk on nightmare customers more than once...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I hid behind the couch when i was 17...for two hours to avoid going to mass. My dad, totally uncharacteristically decided to come in, take a seat and watch a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

“I walk down the street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I fall in.
    I am lost... I am helpless.
    It isn't my fault.
    It takes forever to find a way out.

I walk down the same street.
    I pretend I don't see it.
    I fall in again.
    I can't believe I am in the same place.
    But, it isn't my fault.
    It still takes me a long time to get out.

I walk down the same street.
    I see it is there.
    I still fall in. It's a habit.
    My eyes are open.
    I know where I am.
    It is my fault. I get out immediately.

walk down the same street.
    I walk around it.

I walk down another street.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I stayed in work for an extra 2 or 3 hours to avoid my housemate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

when I was 10 I dropped a breeze block on my leg to get out of irish dancing...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

One of my friends had such a possessive ex that we all had to dodge her.

Going through a shop with my mother one day when I saw her, so I dove into a different aisle to hide. My mother came into the aisle and asked what the hell I was doing only to get shushed and waved away until I saw her leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I'm very good at avoiding things all right :o In a less dramatic fashion than that lad though! He took it to a whole new level

Email and post is tricky though, I go through periods of just not logging into my email, if there's something there I don't want to deal with I can't even bring myself to open it and read it, it's stupid but sometimes I've had to ask someone else to open my mail and tell me what it says.

Thank feck it's not just me! <squinty eyes at unopened post, defo bills and scary letters with the harp on them/>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

When I was in school I used to get collected half day most Wednesday in transition year to get out of activities because I taught they were **** and didn't like the people in my group

After a while the principal copped on and would try to make me go .....so I used just not bother getting him to sign the note from my parents or bother signing out...used just walk out.. Never told the parents or was never found out

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I'm very good at avoiding things all right :o In a less dramatic fashion than that lad though! He took it to a whole new level

Email and post is tricky though, I go through periods of just not logging into my email, if there's something there I don't want to deal with I can't even bring myself to open it and read it, it's stupid but sometimes I've had to ask someone else to open my mail and tell me what it says.
    I can relate to this. :o I went through a period where I wouldn't listen to my voicemails because I couldn't face a particular message.

And I haven't logged into Facebook in a couple of weeks because I'm avoiding reading a message... no real loss there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I knew someone who failed to get into CIT but told his parents that he'd got a place. He never wanted to go there as it was his father's idea so he deliberately messed up the application forms. Instead he spent his days in our student digs watching daytime telly and smoking joints. At the end of "First Year", he told his parents he'd failed his exams so that was that. They believed him too and never asked why no letters or what have you came to the house from the college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I used to live with 2 friends - we all worked in the same language school, in a flat we rented from the school owners. There was another teacher who moved in two floors above.

He was the first to move in, so he was living alone for a couple of months before others moved in. He used to come down to us every single night, and he was a constant motormouth who just talked about all the booze he drunk and women he slept with.

We used to lock the door, turn off all the lights except for the living room (which was on the balcony side, not the door side), and even went to the trouble of getting a curtain to hang over the door (it was one of those with a glass panel in it). We'd sit there quietly, waiting for him to knock, knock again, and again, before finally leaving.

It went on like that for a few months.

I actually became good friends with him once I moved out. He's not a bad guy when you only meet him once every couple of months.

Advertisement