Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kissing on the cheeks as a greeting

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I've only met one Irish person who'd do it with a stranger, and it was very apparent they were affecting some continental shite. People you know, fine, whatever. I don't mind it at all when friends do it, if I know them well, but if a stranger did it I would back off. There's no reason to be doing it with someone you just met - if it's cold as some think, why be that warm to someone you don't know yet? For those saying it's a cultural thing, here it is a cultural thing amongst family and for some (though not in my family), close friends. Not everyone like in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Around here we raise our right forefinger a couple of millimetres, same as we do on the road.
    E.T go home, you're drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

More than happy kissing friends. Someone I'd never met before though, no way! That would be like kissing some randomer on Dublin bus.

More than happy kissing friends. Someone I'd never met before though, no way! That would be like kissing some randomer on Dublin bus.

But isn't a stranger just a friend you just haven't met yet? :P

Prefer a handshake myself unless I'm well acquainted with someone, then bring on the kisses and the hugs, maybe even a bit of a squeeze if I'm in the mood :).

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

What's the point of it all? Just say hello. Even that seems pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Mena wrote: »
    It's a cultural thing. Don't like it, stay holed up in Cavan all your life. Ce la vie.

Its not an Irish cultural thing but. So why the fluck should we do it? The Eskimoes rub noses, should we do that aswell? Or will I just stay in Ballynormal and not be gay?

Shenshen wrote: »
    Why would you shake the hand of someone you never met?

Back home if you're being introduced to someone in a social setting (as in, among friends and family), you usually hug.

Back home? As in Naples or somewhere? Cos its NOT the norm in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Wish hugging was more acceptable, nothing like a good hug.

I like the country way of raising the finger a little off the steering wheel when meeting someone as well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Ruu wrote: »
    Wish tugging was more acceptable, nothing like a good tug.

Basic spelling errors there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Hugs if I know and like the person. Handshake if I just met them.

If they're good looking just go straight in for the shift regardless of whether I know them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Mena wrote: »
    It's a cultural thing. Don't like it, stay holed up in Cavan all your life. Ce la vie.

44 posts in the "World of Warcraft" forum. You've probably not kissed a woman in your life other than you mother, buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Hammar wrote: »
    44 posts in the "World of Warcraft" forum. You've probably not kissed a woman in your life other than you mother, buddy.

What's wrong with being a gamer? My bf is a gamer...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Hammar wrote: »

Give it a rest would you, bloody hell! We're only a few posts in.

Advertisement