Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popular flavour combos that don't go...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Whaaaaah?!! :eek:

I know! I have to be one of a serious minority, just hate the combination so much. It's good in some ways, at least there's one type of chocolate I won't have a mad binge on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Dried fruit in chocolate chip biscuits is the reason why I have trust issues
    abutler101 wrote: »
    Dried fruit that is mixed into anything. I love raisins on their own but a raisin scone or fruit cake makes me gag. I'm not sure if it is the taste or the texture but it is terrible.

Chocolate and orange and chocolate and hazelnut however are matches made in heaven. Whole nut is without doubt the best dairy milk flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Haha, I knew about the genetic aspect but I don't have that aversion to coriander in general - I really like it in most things.

The fact that you refer to the "perfume citrus" of coriander makes me think you have it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

duploelabs wrote: »
    The revolt to corriander is based actually on a genetic tag so don't feel too bad, blame your folks. My all time flavour combo hatred has to be (and it's in the media at the moment) the Hawaiian pizza!!!

I used to despise coriander and thought carrot and coriander soup tasted like washing up liquid. I heard the genes thing, but I now love coriander so much id eat it every day .... And my genes haven't changed!! I must try the soup again though, you have me thinking maybe it was the mix with carrot that was awful as opposed to the coriander itself

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    The fact that you refer to the "perfume citrus" of coriander makes me think you have it a bit.

Apparently, those who like it think it's citrus-like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander#Taste_and_smell

I suppose you could be right though because it is quite perfumey to me. I certainly don't have an aversion to it; one of my favourite dishes is a mung bean dahl that is basically mung beans and fresh coriander!

My girlfriend has it and she likens it to licking a battery covered in soap. Only raw coriander though, she likes it cooked and doesn't mind the seeds.

• Advertisement

Sala wrote: »
    I used to despise coriander and thought carrot and coriander soup tasted like washing up liquid. I heard the genes thing, but I now love coriander so much id eat it every day .... And my genes haven't changed!! I must try the soup again though, you have me thinking maybe it was the mix with carrot that was awful as opposed to the coriander itself
    yes there's a certain accustumisation to the flavour, however there is a definite genetic tag that causes a revulsion. Anthropologically it's more common in Northern European genes than it is in south East Asian and southern and central American hence the predominance in their respective cuisines. It's part of a talk I'm giving on Saturday, pm me for details

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You can post the details of the talk here if you wish.

tHB

Cheers,
    Rather than type it all out, all the details are here http://festivalofcuriosity.ie/index.php/preview/gulp/#.VFdkrRnFLqB
    One section of the show, we talk about the subjective nature of taste, how we all taste differently, and how genetics has an influence on this. PTC strips are used to determine if you are a taster or a super taster and we conduct a paternity test on stage, the latter was a technique utilised up to as late as the 1970 based on your ability to taste bitter compounds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

cml387 wrote: »
    Chocolate does not go with any fruit.

Apart from the fact chocolate is fruit...

Two fruits don't always go together, tomato and pineapple is nasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No it isn't.
    It is a product derived from the seed of a fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Chicken Maryland with the whole deep fried pineapple and banana muck!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

5unflower wrote: »
    I for one can't understand how it is even possible to drink a cup of tea with a fried breakfast ... Hot drink + hot food does not compute! The explanation that a cup of tea is needed to "wash it all down" makes my head spin every time...

The hot liquid cleans the grease from your mouth, whereas a cold drink solidifies it - that's my take anyway!

heldel00 wrote: »
    Chicken Maryland with the whole deep fried pineapple and banana muck!

Like I posted before fruit, particularly watermelon, goes amazingly well with spicy deep fried/breadcrumbed chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I could definitely see how the freshness of untouched watermelon would work but deep fried fruit is a massive no-no for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thud

Wasn't a fan of chili or black pepper in chocolate or that strawberrys and balsamic vinegar lark

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try the strawberries again, but with a really good balsamic. It is almost chocolaty.

I do a summer salad with strawberries, soft cheese, cucumber, basil & balsamic. It rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

abutler101 wrote: »
    Dried fruit that is mixed into anything. I love raisins on their own but a raisin scone or fruit cake makes me gag. I'm not sure if it is the taste or the texture but it is terrible.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one. Everytime we make fresh scones for Sunday breakfast the raisin lover in the house tries to quickly add a handful of these horrible squishy things into the scone mix when I'm not paying attention ;) For me I think it's definitely the texture that's wrong as I find dried fruit perfectly fine as a snack on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,438 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Like I posted before fruit, particularly watermelon, goes amazingly well with spicy deep fried/breadcrumbed chicken
    I can't see how watermelon can 'go' with anything seeing as it tastes of absolutely nothing whatsoever, except, well, water (to my taste buds at any rate.)

Apparently, those who like it think it's citrus-like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander#Taste_and_smell

I suppose you could be right though because it is quite perfumey to me.

Yeah, it was the 'perfume' I was referring to rather than the 'citrus'!

• Advertisement

Two fruits don't always go together, tomato and pineapple is nasty

Yeah, but a tomato is only technically a fruit. :D It's basically a vegetable-like fruit. It's a fruit botanically but not taste-wise.

According to good ol' wiki, green beans, aubergine, cucumber and all kinds of squashes are also botanically fruit. But nobody would ever call them that. As the old saying goes: knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. :)

Alun wrote: »
    I can't see how watermelon can 'go' with anything seeing as it tastes of absolutely nothing whatsoever, except, well, water (to my taste buds at any rate.)

I'd wager then that you're tasting watermelons that you get in ireland, which unfortunately are picked unripe, shipped in zero-oxygen conditions, and then ripened with out sun, hence they have no flavour

I'd wager then that you're tasting watermelons that you get in ireland, which unfortunately are picked unripe, shipped in zero-oxygen conditions, and then ripened with out sun, hence they have no flavour
    I've eaten them in a few places in the world, and I've noticed no difference in taste, or rather lack of it, but my real hatred of them was cemented on a 3 week visit to China back in the 80's when we had watermelon for 'dessert' practically every day as it was apparently in season. No artificial ripening there I'd wager.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Yeah, but a tomato is only technically a fruit. :D It's basically a vegetable-like fruit. It's a fruit botanically but not taste-wise.

According to good ol' wiki, green beans, aubergine, cucumber and all kinds of squashes are also botanically fruit. But nobody would ever call them that. As the old saying goes: knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. :)

I know, I was saying that with that BOD quote in mind. Incidently If you try some very ripe cherry tomatoes alongside some persimmon fruit you'll notice how 'fruity' tomatoes are

I've eaten them in a few places in the world, and I've noticed no difference in taste, or rather lack of it, but my real hatred of them was cemented on a 3 week visit to China back in the 80's when we had watermelon for 'dessert' practically every day as it was apparently in season. No artificial ripening there I'd wager.
    So you just hate them then

So you just hate them then
    No, not really, I'm pretty much omnivorous and there are really no foods I actively hate, just a few that, if given a choice, I'll choose something else in place of.

Maybe it's one of those genetic things, the same way people hate coriander or cucumber, but I find they taste of absolutely nothing whatsoever. I may as well just drink a glass of water.

but my real hatred of them was cemented
    Whoot?

Whoot?
    Jeez, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition. OK, maybe I didn't mean 'hatred' then, how about 'dislike'? Can we put an end to this?

6a00d8341bf68b53ef01156fb855cc970c-800wi
    Jeez, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition. OK, maybe I didn't mean 'hatred' then, how about 'dislike'? Can we put an end to this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yes, let's. People are free to express their opinions about foods without getting the third degree on it.

Advertisement