Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not anti - Just criminal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

All the more reason I suppose to invest in a micro cam or have a decent phone cam handy when out and about when these numpties are suspected of being around so you have an alt pov on video.
    it was a very funny video btw especially when she landed on her ass in the end.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    it was a very funny video

The subtitles - "yeeoooiiaaaa"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Jayzesake wrote: »
    I think an important point here that the animal rights gang totally overlook is that, in the absence of any serious predators larger than a fox, many species become overabundant to the point of very seriously degrading or even destroying natural habitats. That especially goes for such non-native and often highly invasive and damaging species as sika deer, feral goats etc.

The animal rights crowd over-simplify what is a complex situation, choosing to see everything in human terms. Hence, for example, their release of hundreds of mink from a fur-farm in Donegal a while back, causing massive damage environmentally. In the minds of these idiots, those mink were like human prisoners in the Gulag; all you have to do is let them go and you've resolved something wrong. No consideration of the complexities.

To my mind, hunters should be arguing the case that a lot of their actions (particularly in reducing the numbers of exotic deer and feral goats) are not just ecologically beneficial, but vital, in the absence of native predators. That argument obviously wouldn't stand up where native species are concerned however.

Native species can do just as much damage to the eco-system with the loss of apex predators. See the reintroduction of Wolves to Yellowstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Native species can do just as much damage to the eco-system with the loss of apex predators. See the reintroduction of Wolves to Yellowstone.

True and very.valid but unfortunately the likes of rural Ireland are not very comparable with a vast national park the size of a few counties in the US....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

Native species can do just as much damage to the eco-system with the loss of apex predators. See the reintroduction of Wolves to Yellowstone.[/URL]

Very good point Kat but, as meathstevie says, the situation in Ireland is quite different to Yellowstone, in the sense that there is no suggestion - at least at the moment - of restoring any extinct predator species anywhere in the country, apart from birds of prey.

Also, I don't know of any native species here which are causing damage to any ecosystem.

On the other hand, invasive exotic species are causing huge damage to ecosystems the world over, and the only solution is usually to remove them, sometimes by shooting. A good example of the latter was the eradication of feral goat populations in Auckland and the Galapagos, with apparently very positive results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I was more pointing out that native species can cause damage if not controlled rather than any suggestion that they are. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I was more pointing out that native species can cause damage if not controlled rather than any suggestion that they are. :)

Amazing how we drift from the monster raving loonies to a discussion on pro's and con's of certain ways of habitat management. Release all mink, feed the foxes and stop killing bambies you brutes.😊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

There have been mumblings by the more deranged eco loons[Hopefully they are in some nice big house someplace with kindly doctors and nurses to look after them,if they are suggesting this sort of craic!] of re intoducing Wolves to Ireland to deal with the deer over pouplation!!!:eek:
    Dunno I thought our commercial night game harvesters were doing a good enough job of it to worry about that problem:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement