Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer asking price immediately?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

craic90 wrote: »
    UPDATE

We offered 270k - the asking is 285k. Refused and then we offered 280k. now the owner had come and said they would accept 284.5k.

Which I think is outrageous given how far we've come (even without any competing offer)

Don't take it personally and dont approach this emotionally!!! These guys are rightly only trying to do the best they can value wise with their property.

You need to think about this in the cold light of day. How much do you want the house? How much is it worth to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 craic90

We met the seller at their asking price and they agreed to do a deal. Deposit paid to EA.

Thanks all for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Congrats Craic90

Just a pointer
    It's against the law to have a property advertised below the "advised market valve" (AMV)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

deckie27 wrote: »
    It's against the law to have a property advertised below the "advised market valve" (AMV)
    Who sets the AMV?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 craic90

UPDATE: We backed off from the house. It turns out that the small feature of a stream in the garden has been a complete disaster from flooding in the past. Owners and EA did a good job of concealing that until we found out ourselves at the 11st hour. TIP: If you see a stream in the house you think about buying - DONT EVEN CONSIDER IT. MOVE ON.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I think Phil and Kirsty have a lot to answer for on this.

I have tried this a few times and it has just backfired. It signals to the vendor that they have a valid asking price and will then just continue to keep looking for more

I even at one house offered 5K more than asking with this in mind, the vendor said no problem, but then continued to have the house up for 3 weeks and then took an offer of 1K more, so I told them to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

craic90 wrote: »
    UPDATE: We backed off from the house. It turns out that the small feature of a stream in the garden has been a complete disaster from flooding in the past. Owners and EA did a good job of concealing that until we found out ourselves at the 11st hour. TIP: If you see a stream in the house you think about buying - DONT EVEN CONSIDER IT. MOVE ON.

Are you considering the other house if its still on the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

The whole set up is a ridiculous game of poker.

I'm pretty sure in some countries and definitely in some states in america that if you put a house on the market with an asking price you are required by law to sell it to the first person to offer that price.... and the prospective buyer can sue you if you don't.

Certainly removes all this fluting around with holding out for better offers and dutch auctions and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

What do people feel the best strategy is for bidding on an over valued house?

I threw in a very low offer to see if it might get the vendor to be a bit more reasonable but unsure if it'll just have the affect of them not seeing me as a serious buyer. Anyone with experience of this in a rural area ?

Advertisement