Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Engineering Project 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ShaneCliff

Declan7426 wrote: »
    Sorry to join the conversation so late but ye are all reading the brief wrong. The seat only must turn through 360' not the arm. All the arm has to do is follow a circular path. In short there are 2 movements not 3.

No one in our class was too sure was the seat or the arm supposed to rotate, as the brief wasn't exactly crystal clear on which it was referring to. I'm going to have both the arm and the seat rotating 360, just to make sure. If everything goes according to plan that is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Anyone have any ideas to stop wires tangling, if you look up the troika funfair ride that is basically my project there

• Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

RoRo979 wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas to stop wires tangling, if you look up the troika funfair ride that is basically my project there

Mount a separate battery pack in the moving arm so you remove the need come up with a solution to stop the wires tangling.
    While you and others may think that this will result in a loss of marks, it won't. Even if you used multiple 9V batteries throughout your project, this is not counted as exceeding the "< 9V" specification on the brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

villian02 wrote: »
    Mount a separate battery pack in the moving arm so you remove the need come up with a solution to stop the wires tangling.
    While you and others may think that this will result in a loss of marks, it won't. Even if you used multiple 9V batteries throughout your project, this is not counted as exceeding the "< 9V" specification on the brief.

Still all needs to connect up to a switching panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Still all needs to connect up to a switching panel.

Technically yes, but nothing in the brief to say the switching panel can't be segmented around the project.
    Multiple switching panels could be incorporated at no penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Technically yes, but nothing in the brief to say the switching panel can't be segmented around the project.

run the wires through the spinde . use a hollow spindle

So you say but reading the actual brief "Incorporate a switching panel
    to operate the machine."
    what you're saying just seems a little dodgy.
    I'm not saying it wouldn't work necessarily just seems a bit like you're taking the mick. It says "a switching panel". Still, do as you do.

figs666 wrote: »
    run the wires through the spinde . use a hollow spindle

thought of that aswell but thinking about it they will still end of tangling, i am planning on having a motor at the end of an arm directly spinning a seat and i cant seem to think of any alternative to spinning the seat and id rather not start from square 1 again. While having switches around the place may be just barely safe imo i think the examier wants everthing on a controller in his/her hand

thought of that aswell but thinking about it they will still end of tangling, i am planning on having a motor at the end of an arm directly spinning a seat and i cant seem to think of any alternative to spinning the seat and id rather not start from square 1 again. While having switches around the place may be just barely safe imo i think the examier wants everthing on a controller in his/her hand

Is it possible to have the wires running along some copper? It's very awkward.

Is it possible to have the wires running along some copper? It's very awkward.

i thought of doing something like that but it doesnt seem very professional imo, also it would be pretty awkward to create and may not even fully be a solution to the problem

• Advertisement

i thought of doing something like that but it doesnt seem very professional imo, also it would be pretty awkward to create and may not even fully be a solution to the problem

I see what you mean. Irritating project.

I see what you mean. Irritating project.

your telling me!! there is resources the help with the project filler but getting info on all the mechanisms and whatnot is so hard because the projet is so specific, itll be janruary before i even start building this thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bosher911

im using 3 servor motors and a dc motor connected to a genie board ! love designing it and cutting parts out on the laser leaves a nice finish but the folder is nasty

bosher911 wrote: »
    im using 3 servor motors and a dc motor connected to a genie board ! love designing it and cutting parts out on the laser leaves a nice finish but the folder is nasty

What exactly is a genie board and what are you using it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bosher911

What exactly is a genie board and what are you using it for?
    they are circuit boards that come blank and you solder the parts on ! the programming of them is soo easy too ! im using it for precise movements of 3 motors at the same time so it will make the same movements everytime you press start !

bosher911 wrote: »
    they are circuit boards that come blank and you solder the parts on ! the programming of them is soo easy too ! im using it for precise movements of 3 motors at the same time so it will make the same movements everytime you press start !

Damn that is advanced, my circuitry will just be wire, switch, battery and Motor. Feel like mine is sub standard now haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JohnF1996

I'm struggling on a working idea at the moment. Can someone please help me out and suggest a simple idea. I would greatly appreciate any help

JohnF1996 wrote: »
    I'm struggling on a working idea at the moment. Can someone please help me out and suggest a simple idea. I would greatly appreciate any help

im just as screwed as you man, but id say an idea like dropzone would be fine

I'm getting the feeling that some of ye haven't even started the project yet?? Some of our class are very nearly finished. I'm about halfway thorugh :)

JohnF1996 wrote: »

Type "Lego Crane Idea" into Google Images and the first pic that pops up is similar to what I'm doing. The seat will go on the end of the swing arm, the vertical shaft will spin 180 or else 360* and will be supported at the end by a ball bearing allowing the shaft to rotate smoothly. I hope this helps. Any questions just ask!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 JohnF1996

ShaneCliff wrote: »
    Type "Lego Crane Idea" into Google Images and the first pic that pops up is similar to what I'm doing. The seat will go on the end of the swing arm, the vertical shaft will spin 180 or else 360* and will be supported at the end by a ball bearing allowing the shaft to rotate smoothly. I hope this helps. Any questions just ask!! :)

Thanks a million. I appreciate the help. You wouldn't have any sketches so I could understand the idea better would you? Thanks once again

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

Does the safety harness have to be electronic? Or just a simple cross bar built into the seat?

dalalada wrote: »
    Does the safety harness have to be electronic? Or just a simple cross bar built into the seat?

doesnt have to be electronic

anyone know if schools usually run past the due date?

also anyone know anywhere i could find a universal joint?

anyone know if schools usually run past the due date?
    Our school always does, as the inspectors don't visit us for a few weeks so we stay working away and do after school classes as well. Our teacher is a legend though!!

brilliant, not the furthest into the project so more time will definately be needed. My teacher began building everyones project but doesnt like me so i had to start a new better one to match the standard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ShaneCliff wrote: »
    Our school always does, as the inspectors don't visit us for a few weeks so we stay working away and do after school classes as well. Our teacher is a legend though!!

Your teacher will be out of a job if it's found out about (and so they should be).
    Do you think the SEC do not read threads here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 alex121c

Our class is so behind haha there is only a handful of people who will get the project complete and some don't even have the project cut out! stuck on the investigation/research section I have 13 questions and need 20? would anyone be able to lend a hand?

• Advertisement

alex121c wrote: »
    Our class is so behind haha there is only a handful of people who will get the project complete and some don't even have the project cut out! stuck on the investigation/research section I have 13 questions and need 20? would anyone be able to lend a hand?

did you pick 20 for a reason? is it the amount required for full marks? if you mention the ones you have currently it would be easier to mention others

Advertisement