Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCI Fuel Card

• 21-10-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭

In work, outside call comes in, receptionist on a break, so I took the call.

ME: I say my name and company
    CALLER: "Hi, I'm <name> from DCI Fuel Cards"
    ME: Hi <name>. Are you buying or selling?
    CALLER: "Well we don't actually sell anything, we provide a card that you can use to pay for petrol or diesel"
    ME: "Come on <name>, you know what I mean, Are you buying or selling?"
    CALL: Beep, beep, beep.

So DCI will call you out of the blue, but they're not selling anything and rather than answer any of your questions they'll hang up immediately.
    They sound like a reputable outfit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

josip wrote: »

CALLER: "Well we don't actually sell anything, we provide a card that you can use to pay for petrol or diesel"

So DCI will call you out of the blue, but they're not selling anything and rather than answer any of your questions they'll hang up immediately.

But I already have several cards I can use to pay for petrol or diesel.

What's their angle do you think chief?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I read that first sentence in a Louis CK accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well, when you act like you did, its hard to blame them for hanging up.If you never heard of them, then Google is your friend. I get my diesel with their card an it currently costs me 137c a litre.:)

Well, when you act like you did, its hard to blame them for hanging up.If you never heard of them, then Google is your friend. I get my diesel with their card an it currently costs me 137c a litre.:)

So discounts is their game, eh?

The plot thickens.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    So discounts is their game, eh?

The plot thickens.....

Yep and they've been around for years. Threads in Motors & Bargain Alerts about them.

• Advertisement

Yep and they've been around for years. Threads in Motors & Bargain Alerts about them.

Motors & Bargains Alerts you say?

The plot thickens......

I have to say this is the worst police procedural thread I've ever read on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If we've learned anything from this thread it's that the OP won't be winning Receptionist Of The Year anytime soon.

I have a DCI card too, can get decent savings with it some of the time, and it costs nothing when you don't use it.

I have a DCI card too, can get decent savings with it some of the time, and it costs nothing when you don't use it.

Decent savings you say? The plot thicken......... ah forget it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Just for diesel or does it apply to Mars Bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭josip

If we've learned anything from this thread it's that the OP won't be winning Receptionist Of The Year anytime soon.

I will so get fcuking receptionist of the year no matter what you ***** think!!

"You need to talk to Billy, he's in on Tuesdays."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

we have dci in my house, save a nice sum on it, 30 quid a week maybe. All adds up... thats 1500k/year

we have dci in my house, save a nice sum on it, 30 quid a week maybe. All adds up... thats 1500k/year

Then well done. You're one of the clever/lucky ones it seems.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056636222

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

DCI = Diesel Card Ireland.

I imagine 90% of employees having a fuel card will be one issued from DCI.

Fcuking hell OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The guy is about to save the company money and the OP interrogates him. With an attitude like that I'd hang up on him too.

DCI seem to be a perfectly reputable company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

theres no need to adopt that kind of attitude to anyone who calls your office. pure ignorant

• Registered Users Posts: 22,215 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yep. DCI are a very good company. Basically, if you have the card, it doesn't matter what the price advertised on the forecourt is, you pay the DCI price (if the shop accepts the card). If the DCI price is more expensive than the forecourt price, don't use the card.

It works because DCI are basically leasing space in the tanks of the petrol stations which they fill up with Diesel from their own supplier. It gets around all the messing around with 'rebates' that mean some petrol stations can buy their fuel at a cheaper rate than others even if they're on the same distribution network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Akrasia wrote: »
    Yep. DCI are a very good company. Basically, if you have the card, it doesn't matter what the price advertised on the forecourt is, you pay the DCI price (if the shop accepts the card). If the DCI price is more expensive than the forecourt price, don't use the card.

It works because DCI are basically leasing space in the tanks of the petrol stations which they fill up with Diesel from their own supplier. It gets around all the messing around with 'rebates' that mean some petrol stations can buy their fuel at a cheaper rate than others even if they're on the same distribution network.
    You just have to be careful, while some forecourts accept the card, they are 2c per litre dearer as they are not a 'core' DCI site. The core sites are on their website so be sure to check beforehand.

The guy is about to save the company money and the OP interrogates him. With an attitude like that I'd hang up on him too.
    ukoda wrote: »
    theres no need to adopt that kind of attitude to anyone who calls your office. pure ignorant

Yep, I'd hang up on me too if I called me. :D

I love all those benevolent companies who cold call you to try and save you money purely for altruistic reasons.

As a company, we don't purchase any fuel, so there were no savings to be made.

I love all those benevolent companies who cold call you to try and save you money purely for altruistic reasons.

companies call other companies to sell each other their products and services, big deal.

you can advise them in a professional manner that you dont have a requirement for a fuel card.

After reading this thread, its your business i'd avoid and not DCI. lucky for you i dont know who you are

Suppliers try to compete for your business. Sometimes they save you money, sometimes they don't. If have an attitude that anyone who calls into your reception is just looking to make a quick buck off you then you won't last very long because you'll have left behind many potential opportunities along the way.

• Advertisement

companies call other companies to sell each other their products and services, big deal.
    Barter systems declined with the invention of money.
    you can advise them in a professional manner that you dont have a requirement for a fuel card.
    Normally we do. But first we try to establish whether they called us to buy something from us or they want to sell something to us.
    After reading this thread, its your business i'd avoid and not DCI. lucky for you i dont know who you are
    Thanks, avoiding our business is exactly what we want you and DCI to do so that we can get on with our business.

Barter systems declined with the invention of money.

Normally we do. But first we try to establish whether they called us to buy something from us or they want to sell something to us.

Thanks, avoiding our business is exactly what we want you and DCI to do so that we can get on with our business.

:confused: this is the stupidest post ive ever seen:confused:

go and have a think about what you're saying and how ridicoulous you sound

Suppliers try to compete for your business. Sometimes they save you money, sometimes they don't. If have an attitude that anyone who calls into your reception is just looking to make a quick buck off you then you won't last very long because you'll have left behind many potential opportunities along the way.

Apologies if I was unclear with the original post.
    It wasn't a physical visit, it was a telephone call.
    And while I apprecaite that what you say applies to many companies, it just doesn't apply to us.
    All of the companies operating in our target market in Ireland are already customers of ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A unique entity. A business that operates and survives without interaction with any other aspect of the economy. Well done!

Apologies if I was unclear with the original post.
    It wasn't a physical visit, it was a telephone call.
    And while I apprecaite that what you say applies to many companies, it just doesn't apply to us.
    All of the companies operating in our target market are already customers of ours.

Jayses, fair play to ya for capturing the entire world market in the thing you do.

:confused: this is the stupidest post ive ever seen:confused:

go and have a think about what you're saying and how ridicoulous you sound

I'm back after taking your advice.
    You're completely right.
    I was posting purely to irritate you.
    Apologies.
    A unique entity. A business that operates and survives without interaction with any other aspect of the economy. Well done!
    I didn't say we don't interact, I just said that we choose who and when we interact with.

Jayses, fair play to ya for capturing the entire world market in the thing you do.

Thanks, corrected the omission in my original post.

They have employees who think people who say "sell" are talking about bartering

They have employees who are rude

They dont need to speak to anyone else in the whole world so they have employees who think being rude is fine

They survive in thier own ecnomic bubble and wish to be left alone by outsiders

They dont understand that outsiders are required to buy thier goods or services!!

This company is so very special.

EDIT: at least you've acknowledged how silly you sounded earlier

They have employees who think people who say "sell" are talking about bartering

They have employees who are rude

They dont need to speak to anyone else in the whole world so they have employees who think being rude is fine

They survive in thier own ecnomic bubble and wish to be left alone by outsiders

They dont understand that outsiders are required to buy thier goods or services!!

This company is so very special.

Not correct. We would like to be left alone by cold callers who will never buy our products.

• Advertisement

Not correct. We would like to be left alone by cold callers who will never buy our products.

so you only buy from people who buy from you? this is another bizzare thing to say

All companies need products and services from companies who arent necessarily going to buy from them in return???

so if you need printer ink.....does HP have to be a customer of your business first before you buy it?

Advertisement