Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCI fuel card -Diesel

Options
  • 10-05-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭

http://www.dcicard.ie/apply-online-now-for-your-direct-fuels-card

The card is only really benficial for diesel as they don't have a price agreement in place regarding petrol.

I always thought these were for company owners etc. but a one of the lads in work referred me to them. You get 2 texts every week telling you what the price of fuel is going to be for that half of the week. For example 149.9 is the current fuel price with the card at any of the core stations. (A good few core stations around me for example, couple in Mullnigar. two in Ballinalack etc. although none in Longford town only Ballymahon)

There is no online map which is strange I think so you have to wait until they post out the map along with the card to see where the stations are.

There is no charge for getting a card, and if their price is more expensive just pay with cash or your normal card. The way I see it there is no way to loose out....

The money gets taken direct from your bank account every two weeks, so you don't need to worry about having to remember to pay.

You can refer people too and get a whopping 0.1 of a cent for every litre of fuel the buy!! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The card is only really benficial for diesel as they don't have a price agreement in place regarding petrol.

I always thought these were for company owners etc. but a one of the lads in work referred me to them. You get 2 texts every week telling you what the price of fuel is going to be for that half of the week. For example 149.9 is the current fuel price with the card at any of the core stations. (A good few core stations around me for example, couple in Mullnigar. two in Ballinalack etc. although none in Longford town only Ballymahon)

There is no online map which is strange I think so you have to wait until they post out the map along with the card to see where the stations are.

There is no charge for getting a card, and if their price is more expensive just pay with cash or your normal card. The way I see it there is no way to loose out....

The money gets taken direct from your bank account every two weeks, so you don't need to worry about having to remember to pay.

You can refer people too and get a whopping 0.1 of a cent for every litre of fuel the buy!! :D

I got rid of mine a while back. Price just kept going up and up, ending up more expensive than most garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭lau1247

hi mp3

whiterebel wrote: »
    I got rid of mine a while back. Price just kept going up and up, ending up more expensive than most garages.

it used to be higher and practically negligible to normal forecourt..

But it is very well worth it at the moment since the last few months.. easily 7 cents off the cheapest station where i'm (granted there isn't one around locally here in longford)..

when compare to dublin, it is easily 9 to 10 cents per litre or more in difference

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

forgot to say yeah ballinalack does have two core site..

For anyone who is interested, you should note to use core site only for good savings.. otherwise you could be caught out.. none core site is 3 cents more on top of the quoted price..

i.e. this week is 1.219 which when including vat is 1.499 for core site.. if not a core site then it is 1.249 plus vat which is 1.536.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

lau1247 wrote: »

i.e. this week is 1.219 which when including vat is 1.499 for core site.. if not a core site then it is 1.249 plus vat which is 1.536.

That's still very good, my topaz card is 156.21 this week for diesel. Might be time to change me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Yeah if it is higher just pay with cash, you don't have to use it... I'll just use it whenever it's lower... no running costs for the card so there's no way to loose out if you read ur text and compare to the price at pumps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Is there a service fee for using this service? i.e. say you don't end up using any diesel in a 2 week period?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭foleypio

Don't be fooled guys, this fuelcard is just like the rest, the first few posters sound like they have ties with the company too.

They are drawing you in with a cheap price but will up put up your price very soon, stick with topaz if u have it.

The cheap price is just a gimmick, a way of getting business in. You will be paying a very high price in no time, the second poster was right

Is there a service fee for using this service? i.e. say you don't end up using any diesel in a 2 week period?

they have loads of charges, thats why I wouldnt trust the op, they conveniently forget to tell u in the beginning

Yeah if it is higher just pay with cash, you don't have to use it... I'll just use it whenever it's lower... no running costs for the card so there's no way to loose out if you read ur text and compare to the price at pumps...

you shouldnt be coming on here misleading posters with your bargain alert, You obviously have ties to the company. I was working for a guy and he got shafted by them because he wasnt checking his prices every week, they played on the basis that he wouldnt be checking his prices every week and they qouted him in ex vat terms to confuse him more.He was paying way above pump price by the time they finished with him. All fuel suppliers are the same, they will try to shaft you if u dont check your invoices carefully

foleypio wrote: »
    you shouldnt be coming on here misleading posters with your bargain alert, You obviously have ties to the company. I was working for a guy and he got shafted by them because he wasnt checking his prices every week, they played on the basis that he wouldnt be checking his prices every week and they qouted him in ex vat terms to confuse him more.He was paying way above pump price by the time they finished with him. All fuel suppliers are the same, they will try to shaft you if u dont check your invoices carefully

IF there are any charges I havn't been informed of them, and my friend in work said if he doesn't use the card they just ring him wondering why... I don't have any ties with the company, but haven't seen any service fees or been informed of any.
    they have loads of charges, thats why I wouldnt trust the op, they conveniently forget to tell u in the beginning

What are the service fees? (genuinely want to know, not trying to start an argument or anything!)

• Advertisement

IF there are any charges I havn't been informed of them, and my friend in work said if he doesn't use the card they just ring him wondering why... I don't have any ties with the company, but haven't seen any service fees or been informed of any.

What are the service fees? (genuinely want to know, not trying to start an argument or anything!)

Maybe you should ring them and find out instead of just blindly signing up with them before finding out. Their number is easily found

Maybe you should ring them and find out instead of just blindly signing up with them before finding out. Their number is easily found

Well the guy who recommended them had been with them a few months and he's fairly shrewd so I figured he'd spot anything when he checked his invoices. I contacted them there via the website so I'll see what they say... but it does say "no minimum spend" "no joining fee" and "no contract" they still could have hidden charges I suppose....

All he said was they ring ya if ur not using it but he'd just tell them he didn't use it cuz it was cheaper to pay at the pump at that time....

whiterebel: did you incur any charges when you had it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

nice try :rolleyes:rolleyes.gif

Well the guy who recommended them had been with them a few months and he's fairly shrewd so I figured he'd spot anything when he checked his invoices. I contacted them there via the website so I'll see what they say... but it does say "no minimum spend" "no joining fee" and "no contract" they still could have hidden charges I suppose....

All he said was they ring ya if ur not using it but he'd just tell them he didn't use it cuz it was cheaper to pay at the pump at that time....

Gimmick selling points, why should there be charges for any of these in the first place. Dont just apply for a card through the website whatever u do. Would you just sign up for insurance,etc. or anything for that matter without speaking to some one first who works for the company. Coming on here encouraging people to apply for fuelcards based on heresay is irresponsible in my opinion. The very least people should do is speak to someone, find out what the story is,terms and conditions, and then decide whether to get one or not. Afterall you have to give out your bank details and everything. If something sounds too good to be true it usually is. I'm not saying the company are bad but people should be made aware of the costs involved. The no. is 1890 242324

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not as far as I remember, but it did seem like great prices for a couple of weeks, then a gradual increase, twice a week. After that, they were more expensive than any garage I saw. That's when I wrote to them and got it shut down.

That's still very good, my topaz card is 156.21 this week for diesel. Might be time to change me thinks.

It was initially expensive when i signed up from last year.. but since the recent few months it has been cheaper than any forecourt I pass

No service fee was ever debited from my account.. if i don't use, i don't get charged.. when I sign up they did ask whether it was for business or private/personal.. i just let them know it was for private/personal use.. whether they charge for business use or not or any relevance, that I cannot confirm.. best to read the term and condition before you sign up if ye guys are skeptical.

All I can say from my own experience is that I note the amount of litre i pump from the receipt i get at the forecourt, i write down on the reciept the price from the quoted text i receive for that particular date period.. the ebill comes in the week after.. which work out exactly as it suppose to be..

The only thing is you have to be vigilant to use the core site (do your homework for local station), otherwise it will be three cent dearer than quoted (before tax) if you use it on a normal site that accept DCI card and if anyone bother to read the post from earlier, you can see I mentioned that already about core site.
    Don't be fooled guys, this fuelcard is just like the rest, the first few posters sound like they have ties with the company too.

They are drawing you in with a cheap price but will up put up your price very soon, stick with topaz if u have it.

The cheap price is just a gimmick, a way of getting business in. You will be paying a very high price in no time, the second poster was right

there may be a lot of fuel card around in ireland but i certainly doesn't have any ties with DCI.. the only tie i have with mp3 is that i work with him in a manufacturing engineering company..

Foleypio, you can think what you like and express your opinion.. i can only comment based on my personal experience.. if you don't want to use it no one is forcing you.. also you have a freedom to read the terms and condition before you sign if you're that worried.

your guy/friend/colleague got shafted because he didn't check the price.. that is his own stupidity if i can be blunt about it..

with DCI they send price update via text on wednesday and friday to tell you the price will change from midnight of the day.. so no reason to say you can't check the latest price..

Yes they do quote it without vat which is strange at first but just multiply it by 1.23 to account for 23% vat.. how frickin hard is that to do for a grown person??

while i signed up sometime last year, to date i have used it about 7 times and no ebills have any mistake so far..
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Not as far as I remember, but it did seem like great prices for a couple of weeks, then a gradual increase, twice a week. After that, they were more expensive than any garage I saw. That's when I wrote to them and got it shut down.

Again, it was expensive when i first signed up compare to forecourt which was about 2 cents more on average.. but in the past few months it was very competitive and well below normal forecourt by 3-4 cents per litre on average..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

So what are the charges?

by the way I need to point out that saving is for diesel only..

they allow petrol to be bought using the card but there's no saving for petrol..

Gimmick selling points, why should there be charges for any of these in the first place. Dont just apply for a card through the website whatever u do. Would you just sign up for insurance,etc. or anything for that matter without speaking to some one first who works for the company. Coming on here encouraging people to apply for fuelcards based on heresay is irresponsible in my opinion. The very least people should do is speak to someone, find out what the story is,terms and conditions, and then decide whether to get one or not. Afterall you have to give out your bank details and everything. If something sounds too good to be true it usually is. I'm not saying the company are bad but people should be made aware of the costs involved. The no. is 1890 242324

Yes was talking to them there and as I suspected there were no hidden charges involved. After three months they'll send out a form wondering if I want card insurance at 90cent a month per card (this is targeted more at large business customers where an employee might get fired run off with a card) so all I need to do is decline this.

So as I said originally there is no downside to having the card, if rate is better at the pump just use the pump. It just gives you more options to get a better price purchasing fuel.

So what are the charges?

Can now confirm that there are no extra charges at all (I was worried I overlooked something after what Foleypio was saying about charges, but questioned my rep this morning) you just pay for your fuel. Foleypio must have had a bad experience with a fuel card in the past in this regard but hopefully he hasn't scared people off!

From my point of view at the minute it's cheaper than the forecourt so I will use it. When ever the forecourt is cheaper I will use that. Since they are no charges for having the card I see no reason to get rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Was in Esso and saw that they have a fuel card that can be used UK and Europe wide. I know there's a lot of other cards too.

I'm looking for:
    • The most widely accepted card, UK/Europe usage and not restricted to one particular chain.
    • Most competitive with the best billing system (online account review system etc would be nice).
    • Multiple cards for the same account with pin (changeable by the user)
    • Clear, obvious pricing

cormie wrote: »
    Was in Esso and saw that they have a fuel card that can be used UK and Europe wide. I know there's a lot of other cards too.

I'm looking for:
    • The most widely accepted card, UK/Europe usage and not restricted to one particular chain.
    • Most competitive with the best billing system (online account review system etc would be nice).
    • Multiple cards for the same account with pin (changeable by the user)
    • Clear, obvious pricing

Yeah clear obvious pricing would be nice! I have a feeling the pricing might depend on the customer, and that's why they don't just display it on the website, for DCI they text/email it to you. The DCI card only works in Ireland as far as I know (including Northern Ireland) so it won't be any use to you.

Would be handy if there was a way to compare the pricing for different cards! Could get them all I suppose if there's no running costs and then use whatever one is cheapest, but that would be a lot of hassle! Hardly worth it unless you are buying a tonne of fuel!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I have a DCI card for the past 5yrs at least. I run 2 vehicles on the card. There have been several instances of the DCI price being higher than local garages. When that happens I buy at the local cheapest garage. When the card is not used, you will get a phone call asking why. I tell them that when they are cheaper than garage A & B in town X & Y, i will use the card again. I then tell them that these garages are 2 or 3 cent cheaper and can they match that. I get emails twice a week telling me what the price will be from midnight that night.

@ Foleypio, your posts are rubbish, to be honest. There is no gimmick. The price does not usually jump up ahead of local garages. Over the past 6 months, they have been particularly competitive. In most retail outlets, there is now a 10c difference in the price of diesel & petrol.To then get a discount off the price is a win for the punter.

@ Cormie. Ther are about a dozen different card operating here. Many more than that in use in UK. All these cards are set up & processed by Card Services International (may have changed name) in Crewe. There is damn-all difference in these cards. I've had a look at most of them and really it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Re; The Morgan fuel card. Less & less outlets allow use of that card now. For possible reasons, see media reports from Jan/Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you've made a lot of baseless accusations about this company which don't appear to be true based on what other posters have said, so do you care to back up your accusations with some kind of evidence?

you have a grand total of 21 posts to your name and almost half of them are in this thread throwing dirt at DCI and 2 other well known posters on the forum, so why would anyone choose to believe what you are saying when it clearly isn't true? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks Kris, do any of the cards offer what I'm after in terms of international (EU wide) use, online tracking etc?

www.dcicard.ie. There's a video on the site that shows how it works .You can manage your account online. You can assign a card to a driver and track the activities of the card. Re use in Europe, DCI card only works in island of Ireland. I'd be filling up in Ireland anyway - we're still one of the cheapest countries to buy diesel:)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

With all the childish griping going on here i have to comment.

i have DCI for almost a year now, as a personal customer. No charges, no catches, you get texted or emailed twice a week the price EX VAT, not rocket science to add 23% to it to be fair....

Always been a min of 5c per litre less for me. They do have different pricings depending on how much you buy monthly.
    They take the funds from your bank account weekly and give you 30 days credit also.
    I do a lot of driving and have found them the cheapest by far so far.
    make sure you use CORE stations rather than NETWORK stations as they are 3c dearer than the text price.
    However, you will find that the vast majority (i guess 80%+) of all forecourts in Ireland are DCI and have a DCI sign at the gate, just take a drive around and see.
    Also they have many 24/7 unattended pumps which helps for late night fill ups.

Just my 2c and im in no way associated with any of the card companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Is there a list of Core stations available anywhere? Their website isn't exactly a mine of information!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

I am sure this is not confidential so im attaching the excel sheet with list i have from July 2011
    Could be a few more by now, i have been thinking of doing some sort of App for them so i have them on a map....
    Enjoy

• Advertisement

For anyone interested, if you go online now, you can chat with Jane.

Advertisement