Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on Calvin Harris

Options
  • 20-10-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

He seems to be getting a lot of hate lately for the music he produces but personally I think he's great. I'd like to hear some opinions from people on here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

He is a big, fat, smelly gowl.

Heard it from the horses mouth. Neigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

His jocks would tear the arse off ye.

Though they do make my package look even more impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Anyone who listens to Calvin Harris is a Calvin Harris fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

He's Scottish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

He makes that Ibiza/Aya Napia (or wherever the kids go these days) boyracer, DJ "anthem" stuff, which is often very very sh*te in my opinion.
    But his stuff is actually really good I think - very good melodies and a bit tongue in cheek I'd say.
    Didn't know he was getting hate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Which Calvin Harris? The one down the road from us is a savage lad with a hedge-cutter. Very smooth. Bit of a git when he's jarred though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Lyger wrote: »
    He makes that Ibiza/Aya Napia (or wherever the kids go these days) boyracer, DJ "anthem" stuff, which is often very very sh*te in my opinion.
    But his stuff is actually really good I think - very good melodies and a bit tongue in cheek I'd say.
    Didn't know he was getting hate.

Tongue in cheek how? You think he's funny? Like a clown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Put it this way, it takes a special type of person to stand on the same stage as Jedward and look a bigger eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

The best of them mainstream DJs IMO. Miles better than Guetta, et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

His jocks would tear the arse off ye.

Though they do make my package look even more impressive.

You robbed his jocks?

Ah heyour....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭johnnyruane40

Put it this way, it takes a special type of person to stand on the same stage as Jedward and look a bigger eejit.

That special type of person would be Avicii. He's an awful mug and his music is pure dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Hate his articles in the sindo. Not to keen on his music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Seen him DJ live twice and he was really good i was pleasantly surprised because i wouldnt be a fan of his music. From meeting him on both occasions he does seem a tad bit dozy tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I think pretty much everything in the charts is rubbish and if you listen to it you have a ****ty, juvenile taste in music. I say pretty much everything because anything I've heard from Calvin Harris is actually pretty likeable and catchy. It's cheesey for sure, but the man can lay down a good hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Hes no Norman Cook

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Hes no Norman Cook
    He's probably better than him at this stage. Which isn't saying much:

He gets all the girls

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Saw him in Vegas in Hakkasan, awesome set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

One hit wonder (quality wise) imo. This was his peak and anything he has done since has been almost instantly forgettable, barring one or two exceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

razorblunt wrote: »
    Saw him in Vegas in Hakkasan, awesome set.

He plays there once a month, thirty grand for three hours fiddling with a mouse, where did I go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Can't argue with his success, always seems to involved in some of the biggest songs every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

he started off (when he used to sing on all his own tracks) and it was good then. he made music in his attic bedroom on his laptop, recorded his own voice, wrote/produced all the tracks himself.

then whatever happened - he decided, fook this, i think i'll make music that can be anthems for absolute scum to rob cars to, bash people to, and generally just music for absolute knackers to enjoy.

he's only rich because there's a LOT of scum in the world who like all this sh!t...

yeah they're catchy songs, but the sounds/loops/beats he uses these days to make that awful EDM style sound, are just purely for knackers ears to enjoy.

such a shame - think it all went a bit south when he focussed more on being a "producer/dj" instead of an actual performer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

He seems to be getting a lot of hate lately for the music he produces but personally I think he's great. I'd like to hear some opinions from people on here.

here's where i am with the dance scene, calvin doesn't even come into it ;)

http://www.djtechtools.com/2013/12/19/history-of-the-rave-scene-how-djs-built-modern-dance-music/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Isn't he the guy who pretended his laptop was robbed a few years back because he hadn't done any work on his new album and the deadline for delivery was coming up?

What a tw*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He plays there once a month, thirty grand for three hours fiddling with a mouse, where did I go wrong?

Yep, himself Tiesto, Steve Aoki and some other fella share weekends.

Money for nothing! Press Play and go!
    His remixes sounded awesome I have to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭preston johnny

At least he's only fiddling with a mouse, unlike his Uncle Rolf :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

He is the World’s Highest-Paid DJ at the moment made $66 million in the last 12 months and was the highest paid DJ the year before as well . Madness :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

he started off (when he used to sing on all his own tracks) and it was good then. he made music in his attic bedroom on his laptop, recorded his own voice, wrote/produced all the tracks himself.

then whatever happened - he decided, fook this, i think i'll make music that can be anthems for absolute scum to rob cars to, bash people to, and generally just music for absolute knackers to enjoy.

he's only rich because there's a LOT of scum in the world who like all this sh!t...

yeah they're catchy songs, but the sounds/loops/beats he uses these days to make that awful EDM style sound, are just purely for knackers ears to enjoy.

such a shame - think it all went a bit south when he focussed more on being a "producer/dj" instead of an actual performer.

sorry, who does he makes songs for? didnt quite catch it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I think he's excellent at making music for people who aren't really into music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

back in my day sonny this was the standard

Advertisement