Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nutritional consultation

Options
  • 20-10-2014 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi
    I am thinking of going to a dietary coach to try to change my awful diet. Has anyone tried this type of thing? how much would it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Be open minded about what you need. If you know what food is good for you but don't have the willpower to follow through then being told again what is good for you will serve no purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Colreg wrote: »
    Hi
    I am thinking of going to a dietary coach to try to change my awful diet. Has anyone tried this type of thing? how much would it cost?

hope you arent paying for this. you dont need a consultation to find out how to eat right

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hi
    Before you do, post up the awful diet. Plenty of folk here will advise. What we, nor a dietary consultant can do, is give you the willpower to make the changes though. I know sometimes paying for help is a push in itself, but you can do it without expensive consults.

I would imagine they are charging €50 or so for a consult, but I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Oryx wrote: »
    Before you do, post up the awful diet. Plenty of folk here will advise. What we, nor a dietary consultant can do, is give you the willpower to make the changes though. I know sometimes paying for help is a push in itself, but you can do it without expensive consults.

I would imagine they are charging €50 or so for a consult, but I dont know.

Also OP, is it just that you don't know what good and bad food choices are or are there other issues at play as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Colreg

I have tried every diet and i do great until i reach my goal or the day that i need to be slimmer for, but i always revert back and i know that i need support and education around food. There is so much temptation in the supermarkets and i do try to stick to low fat foods. I though that maybe a one to one with a dietary coach could help me figure it out and support me. I do not want to go back to weight watchers or slimming world again as that only worked short term. i wondered what the costs might be or if anyone had tried this way before. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Your problem seems to be that you diet as a short term thing, rather than changing your eating habits in a long term way that is more of a lifestyle than a single goal. The fact you say you stick to low fat foods might indicate you are getting it wrong fundamentally. Low fat is not necessarily good, a lot of those foods are filled with sugar instead.

yes. i think i am confused over what i should be eating, and i think that a diet coach or food counselor could help me to learn what i really need and help me to change my thinking and stop "dieting". i contacted a coach who quoted me €90 for an initial consultation(1.5 hours), which she would go through a questionnaire about my "diet" and health background. Then she would analyse a 3 day food diary to see what i needed to change and see where my nutrition deficiencies and excesses. We would set health goals and devise a personal plan around my food likes and cooking abilities. there would be follow up consultations to build on the goals at €60(1hour), but that she felt most people get the changes within 2-3 follow ups due to the information and coaching at the sessions. I like the sound of it all really, as i contacted motivation and they wanted €600 for one 1 hour and 20 x15 minute sessions.

As a way of re-learning how to eat well, it sounds like a plan. I dislike certain weight loss programs which are faddy as hell, and only there to sell you their diet foods and supplements.

Like everything though, its still going to take hard work and tough days! Good luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

€90 to learn simple information that's a short Google away. Mother of God. You could talk to an online personal trainer for probably half that and come out with a diet catered to your calorie needs and a workout/exercise routine to follow.

I have tried every diet and i do great until i reach my goal or the day that i need to be slimmer for, but i always revert back and i know that i need support and education around food. There is so much temptation in the supermarkets and i do try to stick to low fat foods. I though that maybe a one to one with a dietary coach could help me figure it out and support me. I do not want to go back to weight watchers or slimming world again as that only worked short term. i wondered what the costs might be or if anyone had tried this way before. Thanks.

Said every person, ever.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I think you should only consider nutritional consultation / coaching if you want to turn good knowledge of nutrition into great knowledge. If you don't have a clue / cant control your calorie intake your wasting your time and money.

Look at the stickies on here and look here

http://simplesciencefitness.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Buy the majority of your food in the butcher shop, the fish shop and the fruit and veg shop. If in supermarket buy mostly the equivalent food that you would find in those shops, along with the dairy section.

Being on a diet is unsustainable. Low fat processed food products are not good.

Eat real unprocessed food. This is all you have to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Some people just can't take free advice. If some one pays for a service they will assign more value to it, than had the same service been provided for free. The (free) advice given day in, day out on this website could be a lot better than stuff some consultants say, but after paying for something people will think that something is better, than the free thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

This is an article on grey goose, the 'best' vodka there is.

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/bizfinance/biz/features/10816/

It sold for $2 billion in (I think) 2012. They made massive profits just by charges far more than other vodka companies. Vodkas don't taste very different (proven by blind taste tests, by experts), but if put a massive price on a bottle of it, people who buy it are going to believe they are getting the best, even though it tastes the same as a bottle one quarter the price.

My point is OP might be better off paying for the consultant. The consultant's advice may or may not be any better than some of the advice given here but it's more likely to be followed, which is the most important part. Unfortunately it is like you will be coerced into return visits (read up on muscle confusion, boosting metabolism, dietary sticking points etc for made up things that involve changing something that's already working fine).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Some people just can't take free advice. If some one pays for a service they will assign more value to it, than had the same service been provided for free. The (free) advice given day in, day out on this website could be a lot better than stuff some consultants say, but after paying for something people will think that something is better, than the free thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

This is an article on grey goose, the 'best' vodka there is.

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/bizfinance/biz/features/10816/

It sold for $2 billion in (I think) 2012. They made massive profits just by charges far more than other vodka companies. Vodkas don't taste very different (proven by blind taste tests, by experts), but if put a massive price on a bottle of it, people who buy it are going to believe they are getting the best, even though it tastes the same as a bottle one quarter the price.

My point is OP might be better off paying for the consultant. The consultant's advice may or may not be any better than some of the advice given here but it's more likely to be followed, which is the most important part. Unfortunately it is like you will be coerced into return visits (read up on muscle confusion, boosting metabolism, dietary sticking points etc for made up things that involve changing something that's already working fine).

This seems the case with a lot of personal trainers also. A lot will aim to give clients results but at a slower pace than they actually could so they can keep them coming back. Some of the bullsh!t you hear PT's telling their clients can also be hilarious.

We live in a society where information on everything is available on the internet and people will do lots of research on materialistic products to avoid buyers remorse but yet they won't take the same time to research information on how to best treat their own bodies with diet and exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

This seems the case with a lot of personal trainers also. A lot will aim to give clients results but at a slower pace than they actually could so they can keep them coming back. Some of the bullsh!t you hear PT's telling their clients can also be hilarious.

We live in a society where information on everything is available on the internet and people will do lots of research on materialistic products to avoid buyers remorse but yet they won't take the same time to research information on how to best treat their own bodies with diet and exercise.

exactly, that's why I put 'muscle confusion' in brackets after the part you bolded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

€90 to learn simple information that's a short Google away. Mother of God. You could talk to an online personal trainer for probably half that and come out with a diet catered to your calorie needs and a workout/exercise routine to follow.
    Said every person, ever.

Thats the point. I was in severe trouble, not through ignorance but other factors. I spent €600 with John in Cork with amazing long term results. This wasn't abuot him telling me what I already knew or a diet of any kind, was all about long term change.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I actually can't believe that this profession still survives in the day and age of information.
    Majority of information of food can be found by just simple googling.

No matter how much money you will spend on this issue, it will all come down to one thing, your own will power. Unfortunately that is one thing that throwing money at it will make it work.

I actually can't believe that this profession still survives in the day and age of information.

No matter how much money you will spend on this issue, it will all come down to one thing, your own will power. Unfortunately that is one thing that throwing money at it will make it work.
    We live in a world where recipes are on google and all kinds of ingredients available and yet people cant cook. Its not about information, its education. Sometimes that works best hands on.

Oryx wrote: »
    We live in a world where recipes are on google and all kinds of ingredients available and yet people cant cook. Its not about information, its education. Sometimes that works best hands on.

Find information on what to eat and not to eat is as easy as googling. Just because you can check recipe by googling does not mean you can actually cook. So a bit two different things.

Even forums like this is a massive pool of information and advice for food and healthy eating. You just want to want to do something about it.

Thank you for all comments. I do realise that the information in relation to what i should eat is available online. I have spent years reading information thinking that it would help. I have managed short term benefits, however I have experienced confusion and conflicting information online, to the point of being overwhelmed and giving up. I believe that my issues are behavioural as well as nutritional.
    I also wonder if those commenting against the concept of dietary coaching have ever really struggled with their weight, ever been called fat and felt like a complete loser as a result of continual yo yo dieting. I know I have to take responsibility for my body , but part of that at this stage is looking for professional help. My doctor cannot support me and merely looks disapprovingly and put me on pre diabetic medication. If I hurt my back I would need a physiotherapist's advice on how best to heal for my personal situation, despite the exercises being available online!
    I do appreciate that this may not work, I am looking for feedback in relation to the fees if anyone else had tried nutritional advice professionally.

It's not a nutritional therapist you need to speak with. It's a cognitive behavioural therapist.

The issues go way beyond what you should and shouldn't eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

hey OP,
    Generally you are talking about 80e for an hour of nutritional consultation.
    This link here explains the difference between a nutritional therapist, nutritionist and dietitian.
    https://www.indi.ie/what-is-a-dietitian/dietitians-nutrition-experts.html

And you can find a list of registered dietitians here
    https://www.indi.ie/find-a-dietitian.html

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nearlythereacca

'I actually can't believe that this profession still survives in the day and age of information.

No matter how much money you will spend on this issue, it will all come down to one thing, your own will power. Unfortunately that is one thing that throwing money at it will make it work'

Wow- what a completely useless , unhelpful answer and frankly highly insulting to nutritional therapists and dieticians who spend considerable years and money studying and undergoing clinical practice. Yes google might be a wealth of information but it the subject of diet can be a minefield for some people. NTs are valuable both to help people navigate this info and provide testing/referrals etc. Also highly insulting to the OP to suggest its merely a lack of her own will power contributing to the issues.

'I actually can't believe that this profession still survives in the day and age of information.

No matter how much money you will spend on this issue, it will all come down to one thing, your own will power. Unfortunately that is one thing that throwing money at it will make it work'

Wow- what a completely useless , unhelpful answer and frankly highly insulting to nutritional therapists and dieticians who spend considerable years and money studying and undergoing clinical practice. Yes google might be a wealth of information but it the subject of diet can be a minefield for some people. NTs are valuable both to help people navigate this info and provide testing/referrals etc. Also highly insulting to the OP to suggest its merely a lack of her own will power contributing to the issues.

They are right in saying it all comes down to will power. Far more information can be found in books and online than any dietician / nutritionist could provide you with.

Actually, yeah, it is all about your willpower. You can shovel money on therapist, dieticians, fairy books, celebrity chefs, jesus but if you won't have willpower, then it is just pissing in a wind.
    You can blame genetics too, I heard that one is popular lately.

Other then willpower, there is another option: to be thrown in a cell with only entertainment to be cross trainer and being fed only water and carrots. ( it's a joke, just in case)

Willpower isn't necessarily the answer to all food-related issues. Especially not if the OPs eating and body image and esteem are as closely linked as they seem to be.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Why is everyone so cranky on this thread?

Coaching is a bigger motivation than anything you will ever read in a book or online. That's a proven fact.

Willpower is an exhaustible resource but a trainable muscle. Good coaches know how to train willpower to become stronger without totally depleting it.

You don't learn that from the internet so easily.

Why is everyone so cranky on this thread?

Coaching is a bigger motivation than anything you will ever read in a book or online. That's a proven fact.

Willpower is an exhaustible resource but a trainable muscle. Good coaches know how to train willpower to become stronger without totally depleting it.

You don't learn that from the internet so easily.

Some people find it in a coach, some in a book, some online or wherever.
    The biggest motivator is oneself. Everyone to their own.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Some people find it in a coach, some in a book, some online or wherever.
    The biggest motivator is oneself. Everyone to their own.

That's exactly what I am saying, that a coach can give tools to a person to achieve their goals themself. That's all the OP was asking for. Instead she got some very snarky responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Where are you based OP?

What a barrage of unhelpful replies you got. I was getting p1ssed off reading them. Obviously you need a helping hand and have decided that to talk to someone about food education may be a good idea for you. Yes its available online, but you obviouslty need more.

Same people who post like that will also tear you and everyone else who comments to shreds about whats best, high fat, high carb, low fat etc etc and the thread will go off into tangents where they all post links to scientific articles and show off how much they know to each other an the original post is completely lost.

Anyway, if you are in Cork, PM me as I know someone who helped me a lot. She took a steady plan of Low GL and moderate exercise and it was a good plan for starting to understand why we eat/need certain foods at certain times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Can you give me an example of why we need certain foods at certain times?

I'm interested in that.

Advertisement