Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vue cinema

Options
  • 20-10-2014 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

decided to treat my niece and nephew to the cinema tonight, total for the 3 of us for a 3d film here is 40.10 euro, 5 mins up the road in the IMC tallaght its 26.50....
    how the hell can they justify charging almost 15 euro extra?.... what a complete rip off they are

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

vue always been that way - well as far as I can remember anyway, I would always go to tallaght now, never go to liffey valley at all, def a rip of! since tallaght was done up, its a nice cinema now so would rather it

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RobbieLUKE

Yeah liffey valley is a great cinema, but defo a complete rip off, I remember one time I went up there with 50 quid in my pocket to see a film, and somehow managed to come out with only like 10-15 euros or something

If you go dundrun before 5pm, its only a fiver, which is great
    Also, stillorgan, 6 quid every Wednesday 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

i like to buy them some popcorn/drink when we go, if i was to go to vue i would probably end up spending 60 - 70 euro... how are they still in business?... i guess people dont protest with their feet enough..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Virtually nobody buys food in that Vue due to the late opening Boots next door. Which possibly feeds back in to the ticket prices being high as its the food they make the highest profit margin on...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The staff should be wearing balaclavas in there, complete and utter daylight robbery the place is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

do cinemas in Dublin allow you to bring sweets etc purchased elsewhere into the cinema? Mahon Point in Cork have signs up saying only items purchased on the premises can be consumed in the cinema...it's laughable really, people going in with bulging pockets :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

do cinemas in Dublin allow you to bring sweets etc purchased elsewhere into the cinema? Mahon Point in Cork have signs up saying only items purchased on the premises can be consumed in the cinema...it's laughable really, people going in with bulging pockets :D

Generally yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

jobless wrote: »
    decided to treat my niece and nephew to the cinema tonight, total for the 3 of us for a 3d film here is 40.10 euro, 5 mins up the road in the IMC tallaght its 26.50....
    how the hell can they justify charging almost 15 euro extra?.... what a complete rip off they are

How is it a rip off?

Prices are very clearly shown on their website and in the cinema BEFORE you purchase the tickets.

Its more expensive, but being more expensive certainly does not mean a rip-off.

Btw - Sound is better in VUE, picture is better in VUE and seats are more comfortable in VUE.

Possibly that's why its a little higher priced?

delahuntv wrote: »
    How is it a rip off?

Prices are very clearly shown on their website and in the cinema BEFORE you purchase the tickets.

Btw - Sound is better in VUE, picture is better in VUE and seats are more comfortable in VUE.

A watered down coke and popcorn 11 euro and your saying its not a rip off, pull the other one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Gringo180 wrote: »
    A watered down coke and popcorn 11 euro and your saying its not a rip off, pull the other one!

It would be a ripoff if there were no prices displayed and they asked you for an exhorbitant amount afterwards. If you know in advance how much an item costs and choose to pay it how can you say you were ripped off? If you're not happy with the prices go elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Beano wrote: »
    It would be a ripoff if there were no prices displayed and they asked you for an exhorbitant amount afterwards. If you know in advance how much an item costs and choose to pay it how can you say you were ripped off? If you're not happy with the prices go elsewhere.

There are different definitions of what constitutes a rip-off. Your definition confines it to illegal acts (e.g. not displaying prices).

"Rip off" is also commonly used as a description of exorbitant pricing. E.g. "Rip-off Ireland" refers to high prices in this country, rather than only to illegal acts. "Rip off Britain" was the same.

There's a sticky at the top of this forum where this very distinction is discussed. I think most people have agreed that over-priced goods constitute a rip-off; "What this forum is for is to discuss when consumers have been ripped off because of high prices"

Your last sentence is spot on; "If you're not happy with the prices go elsewhere."

animaal wrote: »
    There are different definitions of what constitutes a rip-off. Your definition confines it to illegal acts (e.g. not displaying prices).

"Rip off" is also commonly used as a description of exorbitant pricing. E.g. "Rip-off Ireland" refers to high prices in this country, rather than only to illegal acts. "Rip off Britain" was the same.

There's a sticky at the top of this forum where this very distinction is discussed. I think most people have agreed that over-priced goods constitute a rip-off; "What this forum is for is to discuss when consumers have been ripped off because of high prices"

Your last sentence is spot on; "If you're not happy with the prices go elsewhere."

Should a venue with better facilities not charge more than another venue? What constitutes over-priced in this instance?

Should a venue with better facilities not charge more than another venue? What constitutes over-priced in this instance?

I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder.

In this case, the OP felt it was a rip off. It may or may not have been (I do think it's overpriced), but the legality of it doesn't preclude it from being a rip-off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Is it actually a normal cinema or one of the extremely comfortable ones where there aren't usual cinema seats but really comfortable recliners? And you can order in drinks and food during movies? If it's just a normal cinema, then yeah, it's a rip off. Even the IMAX in Cinewolrd Dublin is a rip off seeing as it's a sh!tty digital IMAX screen.

I'd view it differently too if there are significant additional services provided.

On the flip side, the OP's price may be for one of those screens where only the very front few rows and very last few rows are available unless you pay more for the middle section. That'd be even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Trying reading the post - its not about popcorn or coke.

Usually reading post will give you insight to the answers given.

As for your comment about coke/popcorn - without it, you would be paying a much higher ticket price. Effectively your ticket is subsidised by those paying high prices for snacks - the same way business class fares subsidise normal fares on transatlantic journeys.

Or look at international comparisons

UK - Cineworld Brimingham £9.80 for 3d screening (about €12.50)
    USA - middle America, say Cleveland, $12+ sales tax @ 8% (about €11) for 3d movies.

Popcorn/ snacks are similarly high priced - but there is a good reason and a read of "Why popcorn cost so much in the cinema" will give you all the explanations on it a (and other pricing quandries)

So I still can't see the rip off. Seems to be the same price or a little lower than international peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭McGrath5

OP if you are an O2 customer, you use the priority moments discount in most cinemas (Vue not included) from Sunday to Thursday and it will only cost you €5 for your cinema ticket.

Alternatively in the Tallaght cinema on Wednesday you can get a cinema ticket, popcorn and drink for €10.

Coolock also do €5 tickets every Wednesday.

There are plenty of deals to be had out there, you just have to do a bit of looking. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

How is it a rip off?

Exact reason why RIP OFF continues to happen and flourish here.

suave.4u wrote: »
    Exact reason why RIP OFF continues to happen and flourish here.

your post makes no sense in relation to the post you quoted. can you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Trying reading the post - its not about popcorn or coke.

Usually reading post will give you insight to the answers given.

As for your comment about coke/popcorn - without it, you would be paying a much higher ticket price. Effectively your ticket is subsidised by those paying high prices for snacks - the same way business class fares subsidise normal fares on transatlantic journeys.

Or look at international comparisons

UK - Cineworld Brimingham £9.80 for 3d screening (about €12.50)
    USA - middle America, say Cleveland, $12+ sales tax @ 8% (about €11) for 3d movies.

Popcorn/ snacks are similarly high priced - but there is a good reason and a read of "Why popcorn cost so much in the cinema" will give you all the explanations on it a (and other pricing quandries)

So I still can't see the rip off. Seems to be the same price or a little lower than international peers.

why do i think its a rip off?... IMO there is no difference between the cinemas in tallaght and liffey valley quality wise.... One costs 15 euro less for three people... IMO that is a rip off, it doesnt matter if their prices are displayed or not...

why compare it to international cinemas when you can compare to ones here, its way more expensive than those here.... comparable ones dundrum and tallaght are way cheaper...

• Advertisement

I suggest you read the definition of the word rip off.

"A fraud or swindle, something that is grossly overpriced."

I would class VUE cinema as the latter in the above sentence.

I suggest you read the definition of the word rip off.

"A fraud or swindle, something that is grossly overpriced."

I would class VUE cinema as the latter in the above sentence.

i think our definitions of grossly differ slightly. And that is even assuming that the product is the same in all cinemas. which it isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Brought the little one (3 yrs old) to VUE on Saturday morning. We usually go to Blanchardstown but the film wasnt on at a suitable time so went to Liffey Valley instead, couldnt believe how expensive it was. Easily 10-15 quid dearer that IMC and no butter on the popcorn, wont be back.

Advertisement