Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone or Samsung????

Options
  • 20-10-2014 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I currently have the Samsung 4. I was thinking of changing to an iphone. Maybe the new iphone 6.
    Which is better Samsung or iphone?
    Also I'm with Tesco Mobile and the moment and coverage on the internet is very bad at times. And was thinking of changing to o2, vodafone or three.
    Which service provider is best coverage and best value?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

ann100 wrote: »
    I currently have the Samsung 4. I was thinking of changing to an iphone. Maybe the new iphone 6.
    Also I'm with Tesco Mobile and the moment and coverage on the internet is very bad at times. And was thinking of changing to o2, vodafone or three.

Consider the Sony Xperia.Z2 or Z3, I had four Samsung phones and wouldn't take another one if I got it for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Which is better? Apples or oranges? Nobody can answer this for you. Personally I can't see myself ever owning an iPhone for various reasons but equally an iPhone owner could tell you that they'd hate to own an Android handset and have their own good reasons.

Really the only way to know what coverage is best is to get a sim card from the different networks, pop them in a handset and see how you get on. From what I can see, all the networks have good and bad spots.

Tesco roams on O2 so if their coverage is bad for you, chances are O2 won't be any better. Have you priced any of the other networks at all or looked at their websites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Having owned an s2, s4, s5, nexus5, iPhone 4 and iPhone 6, I can safely tel you they all had good and bad points. They all send texts, make calls and allow you to go on the internet..

So go into a shop, try the iPhone. If you like the os, buy it. If not, the new nexus phone is due next month, or the lg g3 is an excellent phone

As for coverage, ask your family/friends on different networks to try their phones in the area where you are having trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

For me it's quite simple. If you want a hassle free phone that works and is practically impossible for you to screw up by changing settings then get an iPhone. If you want a pain in the ass, get an android.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

If you want an overpriced phone then get iphone. If not, get a Oneplus One and have a better phone with a battery that lasts approx. 2 days at a third of the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

traprunner wrote: »
    For me it's quite simple. If you want a hassle free phone that works and is practically impossible for you to screw up by changing settings then get an iPhone. If you want a pain in the ass, get an android.

Great advice there ðŸ˜, don't take advice from any fanboy for either OS. Best advice as already given, try both in store and then make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

athtrasna wrote: »
    Consider the Sony Xperia.Z2 or Z3, I had four Samsung phones and wouldn't take another one if I got it for free

+1 to never buying a Samsung again. Terrible devices. Had them from the first Galaxy to the S4 and the S4 was probably the worst bit of kit I ever had. Before that I was very very happy with my Samsungs. Two replacement phones. Two replaced batteries and a fire almost burning my house down with the S4. I've gone back to an iPhone 5 because it just works. It's not groundbreaking In any way but at the end of the day I just want a phone that functions. The newest S5 my sister has even feels cheap compared to my iPhone which cost half what she paid for hers.

*Im not an apple fanboy by the way just giving my two cents. Samsung do a lot of things better than Apple but I'm just giving my own experiences here. Op you just have to weigh up the pros and cons of either device, they both have their problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

if you have an ipad/mac then go with iphone as with the continuity of yosemite/ios 8 its all linked in very well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

Hard to pick between them but everyone will have their personal preferences.

Main thing to think about when switching to iPhone is whatever music and apps you had on android will have to be purchased with apple again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I have had a Samsung for the last 4 years and have no issues with it, I also have an iphone 5s work phone (hated it at first) and once i got used to the OS i found it to be fine. It all boils down to preference, For me the samsung is ahead of the iphone but only because i have had one for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Have a look at the htc m8/9
    Personally, I don't buy into the apple hype and i like the freedom i get with Android. It comes down to your own preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Having owned and used both Samsung and Apple there's no comparison. Apple's ios is infinitely superior. As stated above, it just works. The Samsung gave me nothing but hassle with an over complicated os meaning it takes 3 clicks to get to the same place you get with 1 click on ios. The battery life was terrible as a result of the built in software and the apps when compared to Apple are clunky and in many cases unusable.

The problem is both will appear fine when when looking at them for a few minutes in the shops. In fact the first few days I had the Samsung I raved about it but after a few days the cracks appear. If you've never used ios you won't know any better and you'll think android is amazing but once you experience the simplicity and easy functionality of Apple it's impossible to look elsewhere.

Swanner wrote: »
    Having owned and used both Samsung and Apple there's no comparison. Apple's ios is infinitely superior. As stated above, it just works. The Samsung gave me nothing but hassle with an over complicated os meaning it takes 3 clicks to get to the same place you get with 1 click on ios. The battery life was terrible as a result of the built in software and the apps when compared to Apple are clunky and in many cases unusable.

The problem is both will appear fine when when looking at them for a few minutes in the shops. In fact the first few days I had the Samsung I raved about it but after a few days the cracks appear. If you've never used ios you won't know any better and you'll think android is amazing but once you experience the simplicity and easy functionality of Apple it's impossible to look elsewhere.

Really could not disagree more. Four iphones. All had woeful battery issues. Over time the OS would become slow. My last iPhone battery would only last a half a day.

Have had a One Plus for 2 months now and it absolutely trumps the new iPhone in every category except the flashy appearance which I Dont care about. Battery lasts two days with same usage.

I paid $430 AUD for my oneplus. Same storage iPhone 6 plus would have been $1280.

Never buying an iPhone again.

irishmover wrote: »
    Really could not disagree more. Four iphones. All had woeful battery issues. Over time the OS would become slow. My last iPhone battery would only last a half a day.

The battery issues have steadily improved through the range of Iphones. I use the phone a lot and have about 30% every night going to bed on the Iphone 6. All OS's will slow down overtime. That's easily remedied with a reinstall. No different to a PC or laptop.
    Have had a One Plus for 2 months now and it absolutely trumps the new iPhone in every category except the flashy appearance which I Dont care about. Battery lasts two days with same usage.

But the OP asked about Samsung... I'm sure there are great android phones out there but imo as soon as you put android on you wreck it. The HW is pretty much irrelevant to me. The phone is only as good as the OS.
    I paid $430 AUD for my oneplus. Same storage iPhone 6 plus would have been $1280.

That's fine especially if your budget conscious. I happily paid €800 for the Iphone 6 and would do so again in a heartbeat. It's a bit like saying a Toyota is cheaper so I should buy one instead of a BMW. I like BMW's so I'll happily pay a premium for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

irishmover wrote:
    If you want an overpriced phone then get iphone. If not, get a Oneplus One and have a better phone with a battery that lasts approx. 2 days at a third of the cost.

how do you get the one plus one? all I keep seeing is that you get invited to be on a waiting list. surely there is an easier way?

The battery issues have steadily improved through the range of Iphones. I use the phone a lot and have about 30% every night going to bed on the Iphone 6. All OS's will slow down overtime. That's easily remedied with a reinstall. No different to a PC or laptop.

But the OP asked about Samsung... I'm sure there are great android phones out there but imo as soon as you put android on you wreck it. The HW is pretty much irrelevant to me. The phone is only as good as the OS.

That's fine especially if your budget conscious. I happily paid €800 for the Iphone 6 and would do so again in a heartbeat. It's a bit like saying a Toyota is cheaper so I should buy one instead of a BMW. I like BMW's so I'll happily pay a premium for one.

Looks like you just like showing off your flashy expensive toy without understanding what actually goes on.

I'm guessing you haven't used a Oneplus One then.

And no, its got nothing to do with budget, I pointed that out to show how unneccesary the prices Apple shove at people these days. You're happy to throw whatever amount of hard earned money you have at a phone that for similar to better performance can be got for a third of the price.

Its an absolute no brainer. Spend a couple of days with a Oneplus One and then decide if the iPhone is still the 'BMW' of smart phones.

Anyway I was really just offering an alternative to the OP regarding what phone to purchase. A lot of people actually don't know about the Oneplus One.

VandC wrote: »
    how do you get the one plus one? all I keep seeing is that you get invited to be on a waiting list. surely there is an easier way?

You can buy from third parties but nowadays its quite easy to get an invite. Its not a waiting list. If you get an invite code from someone you can buy straight away.

Have a read of this thread and follow it as people offer invites for free there all the time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057251489

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

zep wrote: »
    Great advice there ðŸ˜, don't take advice from any fanboy for either OS. Best advice as already given, try both in store and then make a decision.

@OP

im no fanboy at all. I currently have an S3 but have no definite plans to stay with Samsung. I am due an upgrade soon and will make a decision then what phone I get but I can guarantee it wont be an iPhone. My reason is a simple one and the same reason I never had a Nokia - every cnut has one. All my family have an iPhone and other Apple products and they never shut up about them yet if I ring them invariably they have no signal or I can barely hear them which they of course blame on network bollixology but I know its the stupid phone.

Seriously though, Android just suits me. Ive tried using the interface on the iPhone and I just dont like it. I have an iPod nano I got second hand about 7yrs ago that hasnt worked in 6yrs and thats the only Apple product I can forsee owning.

like others have said, try before you buy. Asking for opinions is useless. Opinions are like arseholes...........

• Advertisement

To add to my earlier post. If I was going back to android the only phone is get is the oneplus one. Too much bloat ware on other android devices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

. I like BMW's so I'll happily pay a premium for one.

I would like to say I was surprised an iPhone user also had a penchant for BMWs but they kinda go hand in hand. BMWs are for smug gits with too much money who want the world to know how cool they are - same with iPhones.

(oh, and as a mechanic who deals with these POSs everyday, dont get me started on BMWs!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭eoin1539

In my opinion I personally prefer iPhone but I suppose it's a matter of preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

nc19 wrote: »
    smug gits with too much money who want the world to know how cool they are - same with iPhones.

Jasus that didn't take long..

*Unsubs from thread*

irishmover wrote:
    Have a read of this thread and follow it as people offer invites for free there all the time.

thanks irishmover. would you mind posting the link again please, I keep getting an error message? thanks!

VandC wrote: »
    thanks irishmover. would you mind posting the link again please, I keep getting an error message? thanks!

Hmm works for me fine.

Try this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057251489&page=100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

One other thing is that the iPhone holds it's value. Second hand androids are usually worth nothing. If on a contract you can privately sell your old iPhone and get an upgrade to the newest model and have money left over.

irishmover wrote:
    Hmm works for me fine.

got it, thanks! works when I access through a web browser but not through the app. thanks again :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Looks like you just like showing off your flashy expensive toy without understanding what actually goes on.

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion from what I posted. In the same way I have no idea why stating an opinion in favour of Apple products attracts such hostility :confused:
    I'm guessing you haven't used a Oneplus One then.

And no, its got nothing to do with budget, I pointed that out to show how unneccesary the prices Apple shove at people these days. You're happy to throw whatever amount of hard earned money you have at a phone that for similar to better performance can be got for a third of the price.

Its an absolute no brainer. Spend a couple of days with a Oneplus One and then decide if the iPhone is still the 'BMW' of smart phones.

But to repeat, the OP asked about Apple or Samsung and that's what I was replying to. One plus One may well be an amazing phone. I have no reason to doubt you. For me though, if it runs android, then it's not a product I would want to use.

With regard to price, if people are happy to pay, what's the problem ?

As for being the BMW of smart phones. You words, not mine.
    nc19 wrote: »
    I would like to say I was surprised an iPhone user also had a penchant for BMWs but they kinda go hand in hand. BMWs are for smug gits with too much money who want the world to know how cool they are - same with iPhones.

(oh, and as a mechanic who deals with these POSs everyday, dont get me started on BMWs!!!!)

Wow. Did I hit a nerve or something ?

Some pretty sweeping generalisations you're making there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement