Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do for my winter runs.

Options
  • 19-10-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

I do all of my running off road, I go around a few local lakes. I figured it would be a lot easier on my knees than roads or footpaths. The problem is, the rough stones and tree roots (along with other things) are leaving me constantly injured.

It's starting to get dark pretty early now and most of my running us done on the way home from work in the evenings, I can't change that. I was thinking of getting a lamp that I can strap to my forehead so I can see where I'm going in the forest. I'm thinking now of switching to running in town for the winter instead. I'll see how I get on with injuries and it might work out for the best.

I'll still have a short run along the town lake as part of it but it's paved.

What are people's opinions on forest trails v footpaths/roads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Off road / night runs during the winter are a regular for many around here. Head Torch would be key. Check this out:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92405256

Plenty high-vis clothing/ vest too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

If you're running on trails to avoid injury from roads but keep getting injured from the rough surfaces instead, then maybe it's time to take a step backwards and review your entire reasoning for running on trails.

But anyway, good visibility is an absolute must on uneven surfaces, so either you invest in a good headlamp or give the roads a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I'll definitely be giving roads a try for a while and then if I don't fancy it I'll get a light for the forest. Following that link gives me a lot of options and I see some good advice on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I'll definitely be giving roads a try for a while and then if I don't fancy it I'll get a light for the forest. Following that link gives me a lot of options and I see some good advice on there.

I got the lenser seo 3, haven't tried it out yet though,
    Why not run the roads Monday to Friday and do the trails on the weekends,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I'll be doing the new Parkrun in Cootehill every Saturday from now on so that'll take care of the offroad bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement