Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head torches

Options
  • 29-09-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

what type of head lamps are people using, with the dark nights arriving I'm looking to buy a lamp, seems to be two main types petzel or led lenser,
    Anyone using either can you let me know if there any good,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Typically 2 choices, branded and battery life is good, non branded and they eat batteries (a bit of generalization).
    I've a Petzel Tikka XP2 (€50ish), which I use 90%+ of the time, the batteries last most of the winter and the light is fine in urban settings and reasonable on country roads and off-road. If I heading to the hills I've a heavier Chinese import (€20 ish) that you could run a a kids disco with, but does eat batteries for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've a cheap Chinese one too, think it's the same as BeepBeeps if I remember a previous thread correctly, but I just don't feel comfortable relying on it in the hills, it has a habit of getting a lose connection and switching itself off. It's not something you want to be trying to fix in blackness and rain with numb fingers.

I've been using a Len Lenser H5 I think the last couple of years. Battery life is quite good and it has an adjustable beam, brightness and angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Been using an Alpkit Gamma that was recommended by a fellrunner interviewee on the MarathonTalk podcast a few years back, it's been working fine & has gotten me through two goes of the Art O'Neill challenge! Cost less than £20 as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I'll pop into petersons and have a look at the led range,
    Might try amphibian king also.
    Thanks guys

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Got the "LED Lenser H7R Rechargeable Head Lamp" and must say I'm happy with it, using it a few years now

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001PMP340/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Found it great for pitch dark country roads, races during the middle of night etc Also makes cars dim their headlights a good 1km away :D

• Advertisement

Cabaal
    Does you go off road with it, I'm looking for something that can go off road and on road,
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Cabaal wrote: »
    Got the "LED Lenser H7R Rechargeable Head Lamp" and must say I'm happy with it, using it a few years now

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001PMP340/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Found it great for pitch dark country roads, races during the middle of night etc Also makes cars dim their headlights a good 1km away :D

I'm a big fan of the high output lamps myself. Nothing better than the satisfaction of going "that's not a light!! Take this"

Just picked up the led lenser seo 5.
    Thanks all for your help

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ronn wrote: »
    Cabaal
    Does you go off road with it, I'm looking for something that can go off road and on road,
    Thanks

I've really only used it on dark country roads so far and I've found it perfectly fine, I've not used it on any trails........yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cabaal
    Thanks
    I've really only used it on dark country roads so far and I've found it perfectly fine, I've not used it on any trails........yet.

I've only ever used the H5 off road and it's great, couldn't fault it when in complete darkness or rain in the mountains. The H7 is quite a bit stronger I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I use a €3.99 camping headtorch from Aldi and it serves me perfectly well on country roads.

Wouldn't dream of using it off-road, though. It's not bright enough and I wouldn't entirely trust its reliability (even though I never had any problems over the last 3 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

AKW wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the high output lamps myself. Nothing better than the satisfaction of going "that's not a light!! Take this"

If you're running in a group as well and someone behind you has a brighter light, it can overpower your light and you can end up running in your own shadow... Another incentive to go big!

Personal favourite is the Petzl Nao, the adjusting light level works really well, especially suited to adventure racing or orienteering at night where it dims right down when you read maps, brightens when running, and goes full power when looking into the distance for controls, etc.. Expensive though, though some discounts to be had on the 2013 model as they've recently released a new version.

lgk wrote: »
    If you're running in a group as well and someone behind you has a brighter light, it can overpower your light and you can end up running in your own shadow... Another incentive to go big!

Personal favourite is the Petzl Nao, the adjusting light level works really well, especially suited to adventure racing or orienteering at night where it dims right down when you read maps, brightens when running, and goes full power when looking into the distance for controls, etc.. Expensive though, though some discounts to be had on the 2013 model as they've recently released a new version.

LED Lenser H7R has adjustable brightness and beam so its nice and handy so if you don't want to blind the feck out of people you can turn it down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

LED Lenser H7R has adjustable brightness and beam so its nice and handy so if you don't want to blind the feck out of people you can turn it down ;)

Ah yeah, most decent ones will. Just I've been out a few times with lads who have the cheap Chinese ones where the only settings seem to be low or thermonuclear!

I was out and about this morning around 5:40 and I was shining the torch into fields now and then just to see how much i could see. Got to say I'd be very comfortable on trails with the H7R

I've been struck down with an awful dose of man flu, So haven't been outside to check the seo 5 yet,
    The wife is wondering why I'm wearing it around the house,
    ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒

I've been struck down with an awful dose of man flu, So haven't been outside to check the seo 5 yet,
    The wife is wondering why I'm wearing it around the house,
    ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒

its like a pair of shoes, you have to wear it in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

AKW wrote: »
    Nothing better than the satisfaction of going "that's not a light!! Take this"

I have the LED Lenser Seo, and was running a night time trail race last year when the guy running beside me said "is that a light house you have on your head?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Alpkit Gamma's back in stock

Thanks for the recommendations on the thread for this head torch, mine arrived in the post yesterday and I took it for a test run down the canal in the pitch dark last night and it worked a treat. I was wearing a beanie hat underneath it but it's very light weight and easily adjusted if I wanted to run hatless (awful cold these evenings).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

+1 for the LED Lenser's

Great piece of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭forestman

I use the LED Lenser H7 rechargable as well. very light and comfortable and good battery life. Have used it running the sand dunes the other night and it was perfect. I did blind the others lads though but it serves them right for being faster than me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Got my LED Lenser H7 rechargable this week, just need to bring it on a long run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 adriandooley

Theres a rechargeable hp30r which model i recommend from FENIX , 70-100 sterling i think

but its serious , battery pack is not on the head but clip to jacket or pocket , v light as a result , like working in daytime , super for shoeing horses all winter or chasing thieves across fields , has flood and spot options !! I have had them all except lupine which i would have to sell a kidney for.

Adrian

Advertisement