Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films that you feel DO deserve to be remade

Options
  • 19-10-2014 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I loved 1984 with John Hurt and rewatching Inception, I had an idea. Usually get remakes (I'd rather re-releases tbh usually )

Cillian Murphy as Winston Smith (he would be ****ing amazing) and Ellen Page as Julia. Its had a few adaptations, but I'd love to see it again, and if there's one story that is timeless to human society and needs to be told over and over, it's this one. Hell it's even in Nolan's style of dark and heavy exposition (not saying he'd be necessarily the best)

It's way too close to reality these days, so we'd never see it beyond a teen boppy bastardised version

What's yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Back to the Future.

200.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Keno wrote: »
    Back to the Future

Kurt it's me Marvin..... Your cousin Marvin Cobain...... Remember that new sound you were looking for? Well listen to this!!!!!!

cue sound of gunshot in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Even though I love David Lynch's version (many do not, I know) I think Dune would make for an excellent remake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Damnation Alley - a great pulp page turner turned into a terrible film which in no way shape or form resembles the source material beyond the basic coast to coast post apocalypse journey.

I'd like the climax of Dam Busters to be remade - just to make the dams actually blow up. The intended remake seems as far away as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭Damien360

Even though I love David Lynch's version (many do not, I know) I think Dune would make for an excellent remake.

I love it also. "Muad dib" (spelling) and the story of the spice still sticks with me. Story is good, effects could be brought to life and hopefully better acting. Some of the family/kingdoms has a game of thrones ring to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Return of the Jedi

An awful end to the trilogy. Make it as an animated film with the original casts voices and cut out all the ewok crap, kill Han Solo and ditch the bongo drum happy ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Return of the Jedi

An awful end to the trilogy. Make it as an animated film with the original casts voices and cut out all the ewok crap, kill Han Solo and ditch the bongo drum happy ending.

Ewoks aside Jedi is fantastic, it has a great opening hour and the showdown between Luke and Vader is one of the high points of the saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Ewoks aside Jedi is fantastic, it has a great opening hour and the showdown between Luke and Vader is one of the high points of the saga.
    I don't know why when Lucas was "tweaking" the movie that he didn't include a shot of some of the rebel commandos grabbing a heavy blaster cannon and taking out loads of the so called crack troops. It would have explained their defeat a bit better than "a bunch of teddy bears with pointy sticks did it".

Transformers, there's plenty of room for a good version.

I Am Legend, and do it properly this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

The Exorcist III with a proper ending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Probably going to raise the ire of many but for me American Psycho is a prime candidate for a remake.

Reason being, it strayed too far from the source material imo.

While Bales performance of course is stand out, its an incredibly sanitised version of a deeply unsettling novel.

I will say however that I wouldn't consider it a remake in the general sense as the movie isnt the source material.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I like the opening hour a lot and the Luke/Vader fight is brilliant. An alternative last hour including the fight would give the trilogy a fitting finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Probably going to raise the ire of many but for me American Psycho is a prime candidate for a remake.

Reason being, it strayed too far from the source material imo.

While Bales performance of course is stand out, its an incredibly sanitised version of a deeply unsettling novel.

I will say however that I wouldn't consider it a remake in the general sense as the movie isnt the source material.

Have never read the book, is it completely different? If it is, I'd consider buying it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Have never read the book, is it completely different? If it is, I'd consider buying it. :)

Not Completly different but there were a couple of scenes that were totally left out of the film.

IMO they were key to showing Batemans descent into absolute psychopath territory as in the movie he appears almost cartoonish by times.

As an aside, I'd highly recommend the novel, it's one of the finest American novels of the last century IMO.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭obriendj

I like the opening hour a lot and the Luke/Vader fight is brilliant. An alternative last hour including the fight would give the trilogy a fitting finish.

I also think the attack in space is excellent too, Lando and the crew. "its a trap" & "here goes nothin" great lines

going back on topic I would like to see In the Line of Fire remade I always thought Eastwood was too old for the role.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Dune is much better suited to a high-budget TV serial than a film: there's simply too much going on above and below to the surface for a single feature-film to properly capture. There was a TV adaptation undertaken by the then Sci-Fi channel, but it was a pretty leaden, micro-budgeted affair.

And all things being equal it'd be too easy for the hand of Hollywood to downplay the pretty overt middle-eastern, anti-colonial themes of the novel and mutate the film into a generic action blockbuster with a dodgy 'white American becomes messiah' message. Mind you, that's kind of what David Lynch's version was, even if I have a soft-spot for the pure baroque madness of that production. There was a brief attempt to get a Peter Berg directed version off the ground but it got canned in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

The Stand. Great book. Movie was so bad it made me laugh at points.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

obriendj wrote: »
    I also think the attack in space is excellent too, Lando and the crew. "its a trap" & "here goes nothin" great lines

going back on topic I would like to see In the Line of Fire remade I always thought Eastwood was too old for the role.

He was protecting Kennedy when he was shot. How old should he have been?

In the Line of Fire is one of the few Hollywood films staring aging leading men were their age is actually written into story rather than just ignored. I love the chase scene - he looks like he's about to have a heart attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Anyone who's read the book will likely loathe the Lynch version. He did just about enough to make it watchable but the end result was a hugely rushed attempt to reflect any of the book's plot that loses all the character and intrigue of the original. The book is a lengthy blend of sci-fi and fantasy that's more about politics and religion than anything that Lynch's version portrayed. I think it'd make a brilliant TV series if a really good screenwriter and director were given the money to do it. As a feature film I think it'll always struggle time wise unless the screenwriter significantly rewrites some of it.

It's much, much more graphically violent than the movie. Which is actually pretty tame and most of it is suggested aside from a few scenes. There was no way they could have put some of the stuff in the novel into the film. There's an infamous chapter involving a hungry rat, some plastic tubing and a womans insides that would never make it to the screen.

I love the movie though, it's a pitch black comedy and it's one of those films that just gets funnier with every watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

There's an old horror movie which was made in the 50's which deserves to be revisited. It is Night of the Demon. The "special" effects were not that special but the story was a cracker. I'm sure with today's technology, and a competent director, this could be excellent.

Anyone who's read the book will likely loathe the Lynch version. He did just about enough to make it watchable but the end result was a hugely rushed attempt to reflect any of the book's plot that loses all the character and intrigue of the original. The book is a lengthy blend of sci-fi and fantasy that's more about politics and religion than anything that Lynch's version portrayed. I think it'd make a brilliant TV series if a really good screenwriter and director were given the money to do it. As a feature film I think it'll always struggle time wise unless the screenwriter significantly rewrites some of it.

I have read the book, it's a cracker.

You guys are probably right about a TV series instead. Saying that I could watch a 3.5 hour epic film version if it was possible.

Jodorowsky tried and failed as the studios thought it was too risky for the US market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I think a live action Ghost in the Shell could be amazing if put in the right hands, not just turning it into an empty PG-13 blockbuster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Terminator 2 but only to include the extended future war opening/prolouge that shows how the resistance won the war on the final night

It would have given the fans a substantial look at what they wanted for years and might have closed the franchise/story off rather than the constant mickey tease we've been getting for years in other related spin off media. In hindsight, they might as well have gone through and done it.

Van Ling (Creative Supervisor), in T2, THE BOOK of the Film, An Illustrated Screenplay:
    The original 5/10/90 draft contained an extended future war scene that not only addressed the defeat of Skynet and the backstory of how Reese and the Terminator went back through time as mentioned in the first film, but also the backstory of the second film on how the second TERMINATOR was sent through. Cut from the script after the first draft, the scene -- although rich in action and resonance to the first film and its concepts -- was a narrative tangent to the main story of the film and would have cost an inordinate amount of time, MONEY, and effort to produce. This future scene also had the adult John Connor as its narrator.
    The final Future War sequence was substantially reduced in both narrative and scope from the version in the original 5/10/90 draftt --which included Skynet's defeat by the human Resistance and the time-displacement scene with Reese-- for a variety of reasons, not only due to the enormous cost of designing, BUILDING, and shooting the battle sequences, but also because the original longer version delayed the process of getting into the main plot, which begins with the arrival of the two Terminators. Through the course of production, the sequence was scaled down and simplified into a short DOCUMENTARY-style prologue, which actually enhanced its narrative value, for although it was not strictly necessary to the plot to show the war, its inclusion of the film serves as both a visceral illustration of what the characters in the film are fighting to prevent, and a narrative reminder to the audience of the world postulated by the first film.

Here's the script for the never produced scenes:

http://www.hopeofthefuture.net/deletedscenes/t2omit04.html

e_e wrote: »
    I think a live action Ghost in the Shell could be amazing if put in the right hands, not just turning it into an empty PG-13 blockbuster.

That could be amazing if done with skill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd like the climax of Dam Busters to be remade - just to make the dams actually blow up. The intended remake seems as far away as ever.
    There's an old horror movie which was made in the 50's which deserves to be revisited. It is Night of the Demon. The "special" effects were not that special but the story was a cracker. I'm sure with today's technology, and a competent director, this could be excellent.

As with Dam Busters climax I'd just like to see the climax tweaked, with modern digital stitching it should be pretty straightforward to restage the effects shots and integrate them with the original footage. No need to remake fine films - only bits of them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's much, much more graphically violent than the movie. Which is actually pretty tame and most of it is suggested aside from a few scenes. There was no way they could have put some of the stuff in the novel into the film. There's an infamous chapter involving a hungry rat, some plastic tubing and a womans insides that would never make it to the screen.

I love the movie though, it's a pitch black comedy and it's one of those films that just gets funnier with every watch.

Also contains chapter called 'Killing 5 year old child at Zoo'.

'The Golden Compass' for me, wonderful trilogy of books, mess of a first film so other 2 were put on the scrapheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

e_e wrote: »

I'm not sure if you were aware of this but they are making it with ScarJo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Flash Gordon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Robot Jox. Awesome.

Advertisement